Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote PepsiMan has a point that this is getting complicated again. Even though I also went to (only) public schools, I'm just trying to see this thing through

2bskyhi, one thing I can't tell from your screen captures is whether or not those black bars are permanently present, or are simply the result of playing a 2.4:1 video on a 16:9 monitor. The way to tell is to take the player out of full screen mode and drag one of the corners towards the middle.

If you're doing that with either of my finished clips, you should be able to get the window frame in contact with all 4 edges of the media, just like my earlier screenshot showed.

If you try to do that with the clip you've produced in PD16, you'll see that the upper and lower black bars are always present, and will even force black bars along the left and right edges if you squeeze the vertical dimension too far. That's because PD always produces to the project's fixed aspect ratio setting, even when the pixel sizes in the producing profile do not match that.

If PD could produce a 500x25 or 5184x2160 strip of video directly, we wouldn't need to use VDub2 for a post pass.

However, you'll notice that the Intermediate profile I created is 5184x2900, which is both axes desqueezed into a 16:9 frame. Since the profile's horizontal size exactly matches the clip size, PD creates the empty, black bars along the top and bottom to fill in the missing areas.

In order to remove the black bars, we need to run the clip through the post pass in VDub2 to actually crop the unwanted 370 lines of pixels above and below the clip so we end up with a video that's truly 5184x2160 (instead of what PD gave us, which is 5184x2160 content inside a 5184x2900 video frame).

Does this whole process make more sense now? I hope so, and I'll post the updated steps in the next post for clarity innocent

Thank you both so much AGAIN.
So regarding Optodata's first question re. format & Tomasc's expanded description to check it, I suspect this format issue is likely as good as it needs to be--all I hoped for.... Following Tomasc's instructions with the same "DroneX" video he used to test, I am able to eliminate all black bars in VLC, WMP & WIN Movies & TV, but I never ran it thru the post project in VDub2. Anyway, that clip is NOT the "Final" one that I produced with Optodat's last instructions. That clip is here: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZlk3MkZC7xwC3WiYvmOdbVaHRXBebmDtT67

So for one more func check, I decided to load the last 3 versions of my test videos(DroneX, DroneY, and Final) into my Galaxy S8. (I know I feel your eyes rolling now--justifiably so). But what I found was, that the only clip that played without stuttering, was the "Final" version. Since cell phones are a likely share platform for my productions, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead & before you all get sick of me...

I just shot a new test video & ran it thru Optodata's LATEST instructions including the post in VDub2 and it worked perfect for all 3 players & on my phone!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I can finally give you all a break. Tomasc, PepsiMan(Happy Happy, Joy Joy) & Optodata you're all rock stars. I can get pretty OCD & persistent when I need to learn something, but I don't often find other's who are so willing to tolerate this many rookie questions about such technical minutia...

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN! 2bskyhi

Well, it figures... I spoke too soon... I discovered that the Custom profile I used for step 4 of your latest instructions, was in fact the first one you sent me--with the 4096x2160 default res that is just above the 5184x2900 Intermediate.ini you sent me. When I try to use the correct profile w/ 5184x2900, I get this error in PD: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZJrGMkZE35IQrhP6KpsNBSYR6jdoRuvGwp7
When I examined the .ini file, I noticed several differences, but I don't know how to enterpet them....

I'll understand if you want to surrender...

Thank You, 2bskyhi
Quote OK. Welcome to the fascinating world of video incompatibilites! surprisedyell

I see several directions we can go here. The first is: How important is it to play your finished videos in VLC? Does Windows Media Player or the Win10 Movies & TV app play the problematic clip properly?

If they work, do you have the latest version of VLC? I was at v3.0.6 and I've just updated to 3.0.8, and both work as expected.

I've also bought the HEVC Video Extensions codec from the MS Store. It only cost US$0.99 and there's a chance that having that installed makes a difference.

Another option is to take a look at how your system is configured. I went back to your DxDiag results and saw that most of the crashes at the end of the results were from wmplayer.exe, and that strongly implies that something's wrong with it.

You can try uninstalling/reinstalling it, although it's not a standalone app and you have to go through some hoops to do so.

I honestly think that's worth a go, however, and if the issue persists, I'd go to the next logical steps of using sfc and dism as described in the paragraphs with those commands in bold type here (just ignore the last part about the patch).

Please post back when you've run through these items.

Hi Optodata, so several things here.... First, all 3 of the players you mention above play this final video great--I just need to select fullscreen on VLC to get full width display. Here are screen shots of all 3 viewers--plz let me know if you see something amiss:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZSAIMkZk9HCAyM3ayV9HTFXPW5lPQdRNy0X

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZYAIMkZc0MyXTQRnhjvSOoa4C5g3LHH6NlX

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZJAIMkZJrgbitOTl2Q8obxsb19sJhQcyzny

If it matters, my Dell laptop's recommended display setting is 3840x2160.

Next, I recently discovered that my Nvidia GPU was not assigned to use ANY apps! Everything was on native GPU. So, amoung other programs, I told it to use VLC and WMP. If you recognize that would disable my WMP, you'd be right. So I went back in and removed WMP from NVidia and all is well once again w/ WMP.

Next, I'm still wondering about my earlier question: why do I need to "run a final VDub2 pass" with your "post" file. I have the file, I just don't know why or how to run "final pass"

Next, do I need to use VDub2 in the same way you first described for ALL future anamorphic clips I want to Produce, or does this precious new custom .ini file do it all?

Lastly, If I install the PD18 "upgrade" I purchased, can I just paste my saved copy of the .ini file into PD18 when I create a new custom profile--after it overwrites it PD16? Compatible?

THANK YOU AGAIN Optodata! You're the greatest!

2bskyhi
Quote Ok, lets go back a couple of steps.

You should have 2 finished clips that you downloaded from my OneDrive folders: 2bskyhi 1.33 desqueeze test.mp4 and 2bskyhi 1.33 desqueeze test_2.mp4.

The first clip is encoded in AVC (H.264), and I imagine it plays correctly in VLC but it doesn't work in PD16; The second clip is encoded in HEVC (H.265) just like your Drone.mp4 source clip, but for some reason it doesn't play in VLC but it does work in PD16. Is everything I've stated here correct?

Yes--I do have both files & both clips behave just as you stated in each situation.

2bskyhi
Quote I'm glad things are working better, but if you have any black bars and they won't go away when you resize the player window, that means you're actually looking at the PD-produced clip and still need to run it through VDub2 using the Post PD project to trim the upper and lower bars.

Download my finished clip from my previous post and compare it to yours once you've run the final VDub2 pass. You should absolutely see the same thing as in my screenshot with no letterboxing at all.

As for learning resourcesfor VD2, I don't have anything specific to direct you to. I'm self-taught and learned through experimentation, trial and error, and various internet searches for specific questions. Searching for tutorials or forums will probably lead you to some useful knowledge.

Thanks Optodata, I did download your clip, but it does not play on my machine--I see a black screen only, as progress bar moves across bottom of VLC player. Screen shot here: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZKeUMkZ29cQYkEbUR7tllMo4d0caX9noGek

Also, I'm not sure just what workflow steps you're recommending to "run a final Vdub2 pass" with your "post" file. I have the file, I just don't know the procedure.

And, do I need to use VDub2 in the same way you first described for ALL future anamorphic videos I shoot, or does the custom ini file do it all?

Thank you again for your patience & walking me thru all this. I have copied, saved & backed-up that precious .ini file for my Anamorphic Custom Profile...

2bskyhi
Quote Here's the finished clip just in case

OK Optodata, I did all as you said & everything looks good except your screen shot of the VLC player looks better than mine.
Here's the link to mine: black border: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZGvOMkZ1OWtbvhlVxfvlASlAY9wM4CKy9jy
Specifically, I used your latest intermediate file(5184x2900) as instructed...
Also, in an effort to evolve, I purchased PD18... Are your work flow instructions different for PD18?

Thanks Sooo much again, 2bskyhi

Oh, BTW, I understand this widescreen ratio will give me black bars top & bottom, but thought image would fill width...

OK, now I'm feeling really stupid. I selected Fullscreen mode and wal-ah Normal Letterbox bars top & bottom only. And normal letterbox in PD too...

THANK YOU OPTODATA AND EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
Is there a specific source I can study to learn more of the why's & how's of VDub2 & this whole process?
Quote To understand why you're seeing an error when you try to load the clip that VirtualDub2 desqueezed, it would help to know what the version number is of PD16. Here's how to tell, and please post a screenshot.

Also, please use the Preview button at the bottom to make sure the URL is clickable. For some reason, there have been extra characters in your previous posts that prevent the link from working.

If you aren't running v3424, try downloading and installing the patch from here and then see if PD will then allow you to import the desqueezed clip.

Thanks Optodata, sorry about the links--I will get em right from now on. Here's the link to my PD version as requested: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZeetMkZ7cgQkNEFbQVQubOzfT31sjQoTRfX

Thank you, 2bskyhi
Ok, continuing the assistance Optodata offered me... I am happy to get PD18 if the program version is part of my problem....
I can certainly appreciate the apples & apples comparisons.

Thank you, 2bskyhi

Another very good reason to have your own thread as this is for PD18/365.

The Forum Index is where you'll find all the forums, and you'll want to click on the New Topic button in PD (Previous Versions)

OK Thanks again Optodata, I'll go there to post the new thread. I originally started here because PepsiMan was helping me thru YouTube comments. I saw his post here & that's where I replied...

Thank You, 2bskyhi

Maybe you can thank COVID-19

PD has no trouble opening your produced clip on my end, and since this thread has blown up, 2bskyhi, I'd like to ask you to start a new thread so we can deal with your specific issues and we can leave this thread for the OP (lowlands)

tomasc, I'm happy to create a new 5184x2160 project if that's a better pixel size - but I don't want to remove your incentive...

OK Thanks, Optodata, I'll start a new thread....

Thanks, 2bskyhi

Well, I tried to find the prompt to start a new thread--no luck. Is it in the Forum Index somewhere or????

BTW, I'm using PD16

Thanks again, 2bskyhi
Quote Please upload both your source clip and the one you made with VDub2 to pcloud so I can check them out. Also, there's a brand new version of VDub2 (44282) that just came out today!

Man I can't beleive how fast everyone reply's on this forum--you're all kings!!!
So I did get VDub2 version 44282 this morning, and when I "extracted all" the executable that works on my machine is the VirtualDub64.exe. Here is the saved VDub file: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZCVdMkZFvjMyFqUUY77adlffo8iQ7dyGmbV
And here is my original that you streched before: <a>https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZQQPMkZfeQsxsRUQNRPGXWqryXkzkKtlI5k</a>

Thanks again Optodata, Chris
Quote So after playing around with this, it looks like there are going to be 3 steps needed. I think the easiest way to go about this to use VirtualDub2 to desqueeze the source clip before importing it into PD. The VLC route mentioned in the other linked post would likely also work, but I haven't tested that yet.

You just need to download and install the free VirtualDub2 app (click on the Dowload Latest Version button here) and install it. You will also need to download the 3 attached files and copy the contents of the 5148x2880 Intermediate Profile.ini file to the end of the existing Profile.ini file for PD and save it.

Now follow these steps to desqueeze your source clips:

1. Open up VDub2 and go to File > Load Project... and load the 5148x2160 1.33 desqueeze project file

2. Use File > Open video file.. to open your original clip then use File > Save Video... and choose the output name and location.

3. Import the desqueezed clip(s) into PD and make all your desired edits

4. When you're ready to produce, use the custom 2bskyhi intermediate profile under the HEVC/Custom dropdown list to produce a perfectly proportioned, but letterboxed, video

5. Open up VDub2 again and go to File > Load Project... and now load the 5148x2160 Post PD project file

6. Use File > Open video file.. and browse to your produced PD clip, then use File > Save Video... to complete the process

The finished video will be 5148x2160 with no black edges and no squeezed dimensions:

You can download the produced clip from here

Hi Optodata, after VERY carefully following all of your instructions, all went well until I got to step 3. When I brought the desquezzed video saved in VirtualDub2(from step 2) into PD, I got this error: <a>https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZCvlMkZg3ATh7opu7BAJuFP47hfWS8DeesX</a>

Any ideas???

Thank you, Chris
Quote It is great that optodata got this fixed with virtual dub. He is ingenious in working with virtual dub.

See the Drone video in anamorphic widescreen on YouTube: https://youtu.be/vs3xcs-DPcc . Just uploaded it. It looks like that the 2160p resolution is not yet available. It is cinematic widescreen 2.40 aspect ratio with no black bars. Used FFmpeg. It should be great to use virtual dub as optodata has uploaded the project documentation.

Thank you Tomasc! I'm gonna try it tomorrow, & I will watch the video link you shared.

Thanks, Chris
Quote undecided
I got myself PD18 and followed the intstruction video of PepsiMan. Alas not happy happy joy joy.

I got a popup that said: "Production failed. Make sure that the driver of your video card is up to date, and install the latest version of Windows Media Player. You can also try to produce in a different video format".

I already have the latest driver and Media Player version. I have not tried different format.

I have attached a screenshot of my produce panel and the profile.ini

Thanks Lowlands, Glad to know it might not just be my computer. I'll be working on this tomorrow....

Thanks, Chris

you don't have to. i don't play all the time but occasionally, just uncheck it. you have nVidia driver version 441.45 installed. go ahead and install 411.70(just graphic and audio drivers) and K-lite basic pack. you might even have to install QT if you get the same error messages.

it's up to you which method is more convenient...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks PepsiMan, I didn't see any option to "uncheck it." I may resort to your directions after trying Optodata's technique tomorrow morning.

Thank You again, Chris
Quote So after playing around with this, it looks like there are going to be 3 steps needed. I think the easiest way to go about this to use VirtualDub2 to desqueeze the source clip before importing it into PD. The VLC route mentioned in the other linked post would likely also work, but I haven't tested that yet.

You just need to download and install the free VirtualDub2 app (click on the Dowload Latest Version button here) and install it. You will also need to download the 3 attached files and copy the contents of the 5148x2880 Intermediate Profile.ini file to the end of the existing Profile.ini file for PD and save it.

Now follow these steps to desqueeze your source clips:

1. Open up VDub2 and go to File > Load Project... and load the 5148x2160 1.33 desqueeze project file

2. Use File > Open video file.. to open your original clip then use File > Save Video... and choose the output name and location.

3. Import the desqueezed clip(s) into PD and make all your desired edits

4. When you're ready to produce, use the custom 2bskyhi intermediate profile under the HEVC/Custom dropdown list to produce a perfectly proportioned, but letterboxed, video

5. Open up VDub2 again and go to File > Load Project... and now load the 5148x2160 Post PD project file

6. Use File > Open video file.. and browse to your produced PD clip, then use File > Save Video... to complete the process

The finished video will be 5148x2160 with no black edges and no squeezed dimensions:

You can download the produced clip from here

AWESOME looking Optodata! I will try it all tomorrow morning & let you know how it works for me.

Thank You very much again!, Chris
Quote hey chris.
i didn't have any problems with windows 7 comps that i have, but windows 10 upgraded desktop had same error message and profile level 65281... MediaInfo displayed that yours is 3840x2160 H.265 HEVC .MP4 container video.

update your video drivers to nVidia Driver 411.70 and some codecs K-Lite Codec Pack (basic or standard is good enough...)
do not install GeForce Experience. in the past it's been known to crash PD and or your PC.

see if this helps.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks PepsiMan, I have already updated my Nvidia GPU drivers, but your Nvidia driver link includes the GeForce Experience; which I would rather not install since I never do any video games. So, do I still need to download the codec packs you linked me?
Does my Dxdiag file show that my graphics card driver is up to date?

I hope this doesn't get too confusing with the 2 of you helping me at the same time...

Thanks again, Chris

Optodata, I searched for "Read Me before posting" but found nothing. Can you plxz share the lnk with me?

Thanks, Chris

OK, I searched & found how to capture the Dxdiag you requested. Here it is: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZpUPMkZd6JrruYo0GkS874pv6Pfbh3sGpE7

Also, the workflow doesn't care about the specific clip properties or camera sources. The only thing we need to do is to match the source clip's properties and then edit Profile.ini outside of PD to create the proper output format, before finishing up in VirtualDub2 or VLC.

Your format is HEVC 3840x2160 35Mbps, so we'd like to create a new profile that's 5148x2160 to get you the 1.33x horizontal expansion. I'll take care of that right now and post back with the results.

In the meantime, reading through the steps in the Read Me Before Posting thread and attaching the DxDiag results as requested by PepsiMan will help us ensure that your computer is set up correctly for smooth editing.

Optodata, I searched for "Read Me before posting" but found nothing. Can you plxz share the lnk with me?

Thanks, Chris

yeah,
i'd like to ask your Dxdiag txt file, a copy of Profile.ini and a sample from your Mavic 2 Pro H.265 DLog-M footage.

meanwhile you can try Optodata suggestion.

sometimes i had an experience where i got the message but second click on the produce with the error message it began to render...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks PepsiMan, & now Optodata too. I don't know what the Dxdiag txt file is that you mentined, but here's my .ini with your prescribed mods: <a>https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZtnPMkZpC2uB5tnyOf2DRb9MoSVgS89w1X0</a>

Also, I will research where my Dxdiag file is.

Thanks again to both of you, Chris

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post. There are several ways this can be accomplished, often with a one-time setup.

Thank you for responding so quickly Optodata! PepsiMan tried hard to help me, but something just isn't the same between our systems I guess. I did read thru the links in your other posts that you referenced, but they didn't help me. My footage was not shot on a phone--it's much higher res/ file size. As requested, here is a link to the test clip I'm trying to stretch: <a>https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZQQPMkZfeQsxsRUQNRPGXWqryXkzkKtlI5k</a>
My previous post shows the Properties of this clip, but you'll have them once you download the clip... The clip was shot in H.265 so that's the only container/ format I have tried. I suspect I need to setup the right workspace that will accomadate the Custom Profile you might create. PepsiMan did get me familiar with the .ini file. To answer your question about how much I want to strech/ desqueeze the image: the anamorphic lens I used is a 1:33, and the sliding glass doors on the deck behind me, are 78" tall x 70" wide. Lastly, I am shining a flashlight at the camera because when the image is properly desqueezed, there should be obvious horizontal lens flares eminating from the flashlight.

THANK YOU! Chris
Quote if the RegEdit works then go back to Preference and enable HA. produce and if you don't get the error message then you're all set.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Hi PepsiMan, all of those values in my registry were already "zero." Got any other ideas? If not, can't say we didn't try...
Sadly, there are several YouTube videos showing how to desqueeze anamorphics using Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere etc...
I really hope I won't need to go to different software... If the other's can do it without editing the registry or .ini files, then I don't know why PD can't too... Maybe in next version?

Thanks again, Chris
Go to: