Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I guess I should just ask them directly. I don't expect they'll say when 14 is due but maybe they can tell what the upgrade path/price will be.
I'm using PD13 and PhotoDirector 5 on a Win7 1080p system and am building a Win7 4K editing system. (I'll have both) Should I jump on the current (ends 8/28 ) PD13/PD6 sale for the 4K system or does the sale at this time mean that PD14 is about to appear? (You have tea leaves, right?) Haven't had PD13 long enough to know what their update/upgrade cycle is like or how they charge for upgrades.
Hooked up the HP monitor to my existing Win7 system, made it the primary display, then ran PD13 using the 23" Acer 1080p monitor for preview. Pretty nice. Obviously the desktop was properly scaled on the HP and having the second monitor filled with the preview was great. Might sway me to going the dual monitor route for the 4K system rather than the single 40" display.
Quote: Go To http://travelinafrica.shutterfly.com and see my " Pensioner work place "

Wow. Really nice pics!
Any chance I could trouble you guys for up-close pictures of the monitors with the standard desktop and also PD13? My biggest concern is that a 28" 4K display is just too much crammed in too small a space. The only way I could swing a 2-monitor setup would be to use an existing 1600x900 HP 2009m as the monitor for the Windows desktop/apps and PD13 program/library display with the 4K monitor for PD13 preview and video/photo viewing. I think I read that it is possible to use mixed resolution displays but I'd do more research before going that route.
Thanks, Paul. The U28D590D and U28E590D are both on my short (well, 9) list. I've read that 4K on 28" screens can have some scaling issues that make icons/buttons really small. There are two 40" 4K VA panel monitors (AMH A399U and Crossover 404K) I've been considering that cost $50-$100 more than the Samsung and supposedly present a more normal looking screen. Do you have any problem with things being too small on your screens?
Quote: I am very Happy with Dual Editing

2Samsung 2 U28D590 28"

How does that work? What do you have on each screen? I'll be using the GTX 960.
Hoping for a less generic answer from someone actually editing 4K video with PD13. tongue-out
I was looking at getting a 27"-28" monitor for 4K editing but am wondering if that's too small. Wanted to ask what others are using and if you're happy with your choice.
Subscribe.

I too have this problem and it only happens if I have speeded up clips or use reverse video in the timetrack. Editing 1080p. Will try some of the proposed solutions. I'm currently specing a system for 4K editing http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vZxnVn and figured that would fix the problem but if it's a PD internal processing flaw then I maybe I should be looking at other editing software because this is a PITA.

Dell 570 Inspiron with upgraded Phenon II CPU

16GB DDR3 RAM

2 7200 HDs - one for OS/apps and one for media files

GTX 750Ti
Quote: But does PD13 use DirectX for anything at all?

I know when I filed a support ticket once they wanted the directx error log, so I'm guessing "yes".
Quote:
Quote: ...shoot/edit in 4K and render into 1080
If I'm remembering correctly, some people here suggest shooting in the res you plan to render to. Somthing about not loosing quality in the conversion. This may also be something to get advice on and consider.

Special circumstances plus future-proofing. I won't beat you to death with all the details but I'm using the Yuneec Q500/Q550+/4K quadcopter. Their "HD" might be upscaled 720 with in-camera stabilization. One of the problems with this is aliasing. Their 4K camera, which will be significantly cheaper to buy than a different quad - and I really like the actual quad and gimbal - doesn't have this problem. The 4K output rendered to HD looks much better than their current "HD". As 4K monitors become more prevalent, I'll do more 4K rendering. If I shoot everything in 4K I can always go back and re-render in 4K. Also, yes, I can crop the 4K for HD results. More details but that's the gist of it. If I bought a HD monitor now then I'm looking at extra expense for a 4K monitor later. Then again, sometimes I get confused... What were we talking about? Oh yeah, 4K monitor recommendations. laughing
Quote:
Quote: I'm building a system for 4K editing and was looking for advice about drive configurations
Off topic, but if your buying the Kensington mouse... have you seen their trackballs? I have the slim blade and love it. So does my dad and brother and a 90 year old lady I know.

It's kind of funny. You're the third person to comment on the mouse and/or keyboard. The truth is that I picked those pretty much at random to fill in the slots. I've got enough of both to make several systems. smile
Quote: SSD will NOT bring any speed improvement. The bottleneck is somewhere else in this software, the HDD read/write rate are so low that even a laptop HDD can keep up with it.

See below my RAID5 HDD (D drive) during encoding of a 1080p H264 video with a 6 core/12 thread CPU and GTX 960 hardware acceleration. My C drive is a SSD. HDD usage is below 1MB/s (716kB/s). Any HDD is capable of minimum 40-50MB/s (mine can do 110 MB/s).

Just get a SSD for the OS and software. Don't put any temp files on SSD, it will wear it out. Cancel the virtual memory, just get enough RAM!

I see what you are saying. So even though the HD access light is constant the amount of data transfer is minimal. Hmmm. Well, easy enough to start out using the HD for data files and checking the results. But one drive for OS and apps? Pretty much every information source for video editing I've read says to put them on separate drives. Wonder what the genesis for that is and why it persists?
I asked the same question here a few weeks ago and ended up going with the GTX 960 2GB. If you look back you can read that thread.
Quote: Also, have you read Wikipedia?

Apparently DCI 4K is not the same as UHD. Cheaters!

Well, I didn't read ALL of wikipedia... wink My real goal at this point, because 4K isn't widely in use, is to shoot/edit in 4K and render into 1080. If I'm reading correctly - and what are the chances of THAT? laughing - then the UHD is really the best choice to shoot in because it has the same 16:9 ratio as 1080p. For the drone camera I'll mostly be shooting with, UHD is currently producing better results than their DCI 4K setting. And yeah, at least 90% of the monitors in my price range are UHD 4K. Thanks for the warning though. I appreciate anything that helps me make a more informed choice.
Dot pitch = pixel pitch? Newegg is pretty good about listing that in the upfront specs. Most of the ones I've been looking at have .16mm so that's good, right?
Gary, I had to laugh. I know they have different prices and different specs, so yes there are choices. I'm looking for recommendations, hopefully from someone that has experience with one or more 4K monitors in this price range. Maybe no one does and it will come down to me choosing on specs and price. Rather than just doing that I'm seeking advice first.
Yeah, I know the prices but what would help is recommendations with reasons why to choose one over the other.
http://lifehacker.com/five-best-4k-computer-monitors-1712678664

I'm building a system for 4K PD13 editing and would like to get a monitor in the $400-$600 range. I'm using an Acer IPS monitor for my current 1080p editing and like that but their 4Ks are expensive. The 24" or 27" Dell IPS monitors in the link above are in my price range and look okay. Someone who already does 4K editing suggested going with the Samsung on that list but it's a TN display so I don't know if that's okay. Anyone using something in my price range that they really like? It would be nice from the price point to go with the 24" but I'm wondering if the 27"/28" monitors would be better. This system will only be used for photo/video editing, not gaming or general applications.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ftTTf7

I'm building a system for 4K editing and was looking for advice about drive configurations for best performance in this SATA III system. Based on my reading thus far, here is the current plan.

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for OS

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for Applications

Samsung 859 EVO 120GB for scratch/working files

Seagate 7200 3TB HD to hold media files not currently being worked on

500GB for OS because my current Win7 system has 318GB used on the main drive, only 20GB of which are in the program folders, and I'd rather be looking at it than looking for it when it comes to the main drive. 250GB for the Apps mostly because it's faster than the 120GB. Could make the same speed argument for 250GB instead of 120GB for the scratch/working media drive, so maybe. I'd read that having all three components on separate drives was faster but can't remember if that was for standard HDs, SSDs, or both. Especially with SSDs, because of the lifetime write limit, it seems like having an easily replaceable and non-critical scratch drive with lots of reads/writes would make sense. I'll be using an external 5TB HD for backups.

Is this overkill? Maybe just one SSD for OS/Apps and a second for the scratch drive? Any thoughts?
Go to: