Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: You were wrongly claiming that your 290X had hardware HEVC decoding acceleration, I'm glad you are now taking this back as you have realized it does not.
I'm definitely not taking it back. I can't take it back, because I'm using that feature.

Quote: The fact that someone has been working for 25 years in the video industry doesn't mean anything
It means I'm a professional. By the way, do you know there are $50 Android TV boxes doing full 4K h265 hardware decoding? But I have no doubt those $50 devices are more powerful than a core I7 + a high end PC GPU.

Quote: I have been working for 25 years in both the computer and the
film/video industry, there are incompetent people (or people who know
less than they think, which doesn't stop them from giving lessons to
others and making false claims) in every industry.
How amusing... suddenly, you're also a 25 years+ expert. Isn't that an interesting coincidence?

Ignorance isn't stupidity. Refusing to acknowledge you are ignorant is stupid, though. Don't limit what is possible to the limits of your own imagination and/or knowledge. Now you can go back in your garage and play with that camcorder. I mean, you've been doing that the last 25 years, that must make you a film/video expert.
Quote: Learn about hardware acceleration and hardware decoding, and you'll understand why you need a new GPU.
I've been working in the video industry the last 25 years. Nice try though.

You don't need full GPU hardware acceleration to have maximum decoding quality. Both the Intel and AMD OpenCL solution offload the CPU so that even lower end CPUs can achieve the decoding.

Either you have the horsepower to decode, or you don't and then you'll have quality loss and frame drops. But in this case, unless you have a very old CPU, that won't happen. My computer decodes h265 videos without breaking a sweat. Hell, you can decode max. quality 4K h265 without any frame drops and without getting even close to max CPU usage on a Core I3 with just any haswell or sandybridge CPU since the Intel driver, without even a dedicated graphic card.
Even Intel on-chip GPUs support HEVC/H.265 hardware decoding. And AMD GPUs support it through OpenCL.

Learn a bit about OpenCL, and you'll understand why such features don't have to be "burnt into the chip" as you say.
My R9 290x supports h265 hardware decoding... go figure.
Just a hint, graphics cards nowadays are programmable, and a driver can add features to it without needing new hardware.
I am not wrong because it happened to several people including me, and, let me spell it for you in big letters so you don't miss it, IS CONFIRMED BY CYBERLINK (Michael). Your sound device must have a driver with a secure audio path (lucky! don't change a thing!), or maybe the display of PDVD is wrong/bugged actually.

But whatever, believe what you want, no point in arguing with someone who keeps on saying the black cow in the field is white.
Quote: You're wrong again. I've tested it just now to make sure.
It's outputting 24bit 48khz 8 channel.
Just right click and show information.
I'll take a screen shot if you want!
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 6219Kbps
Output: LPCM 48KHZ/24bits 8 Channels
Then either your device indeed has a secure audio path, and then congratulations, or you are not telling the truth in order to not be wrong on the Internet. There's no other option.

Quote: And yes it's coming out of all 8 speakers and I have no hacks running!
I never said you couldn't get 8 channel sound even on a non-secure audio path. I just talked about HD sound. Don't you know the difference as an expert?

Quote: That's more of your 'facts' debunked!
Not my facts, kid. Cyberlink's fact. See the link I posted earlier in the thread. They are FORCED to do that as per official Blu-Ray regulations.

Quote: READ THIS: It even explains how to set it up!
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15698&prodId=1
Looks like they added support in PowerDVD 13
This has nothing to do with what we were talking about concerning secure audio paths, and exists since at least PDVD 10.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: That is not true. My setup plays DTS 7.1 master audio fine.
You do know dts MA is just a 24bit (if you're lucky) 48khz (usually unless it's a music blu Ray) wav in a wrapper?
Nothing special, you're full of misinformation aren't you!
My RME will do 32bit floating point 192khz.
Get your facts right!
If anyone is misinformed, it's you.

Unless you use some kind of hacking software removing protections, if you don't have a secure audio path, HD audio is downgraded by any legal player, which includes PowerDVD.
Your RME doing 32 bit 192khz doesn't mean that's what PowerDVD sends it.

I know about it: before I switched to full HDMI, I was using a multichannel USB audio card with analog output, and since it didn't have a secure audio path, DTS MA HD Audio and also Dolby TrueHD were both downgraded to LPCM 16 bit even if the original audio was 24 bit. Unless I "cheated" with a protection removal software, of course.
No...there is a way for this to - You can have a protected audio path by using a HDMI De-embedder (another professional product such as the Atlona HD570 or the Essence Evolve HDMI DAC. No hacking software involved.
And both are only HDMI 1.3 compatible. Bye bye 3D and 4K. And it only corroborates what I was saying too. For PDVD to output Full HD 24bit audio, you need a secure audio path, either via HDMI or via the very few certified audio cards.

You guy's gear doesn't have anything to do with that anyway, as I understood you're using USB... which is not secure. So you have all that fancy musician stuff and can't enjoy Full HD 24 bit Audio, which was my point.

I'm not denying you guys know about stuff, but beside my basic HTPC installation which I enjoy in my small office at home, I also work daily since 20+ years in the video industry (software engineer) and I happen to know a bit about those secure path "problems".

Now if you want to output Full HD 24 bit via non-secure audio devices, there are tricks I can give you if you send me a private message, notably a well known and quite cheap little piece of software which is also very well supported by its developers, and which doesn't have a problem with HDMI 1.4 or even 2.0.
Quote:
Quote:
I know about it: before I switched to full HDMI, I was using a multichannel USB audio card with analog output, and since it didn't have a secure audio path, DTS MA HD Audio and also Dolby TrueHD were both downgraded to LPCM 16 bit even if the original audio was 24 bit. Unless I "cheated" with a protection removal software, of course.

Not sure what you mean by 'protection removal software' here, as the check would be done inside your amp; but I'm pretty sure you can only send LPCM 2.0 over anything non-HDMI (or downgraded-to-16-bit LPCM, like you said).
The check is in the amp in case of bitstreaming, but since in this case, it isn't bitstreaming but PDVD is converting to LPCM first, PDVD will only output SD 16 bit audio.

Quote: LPCM itself, of course, can and will be received at 24-bit by your amp, though (when the stream is the latter, of course); but yeah, only over HDMI.
Not even that. If you have a non-secure audio path, it'll also be 16 bit.
Quote: That is not true. My setup plays DTS 7.1 master audio fine.
You do know dts MA is just a 24bit (if you're lucky) 48khz (usually unless it's a music blu Ray) wav in a wrapper?
Nothing special, you're full of misinformation aren't you!
My RME will do 32bit floating point 192khz.
Get your facts right!
If anyone is misinformed, it's you.

Unless you use some kind of hacking software removing protections, if you don't have a secure audio path, HD audio is downgraded by any legal player, which includes PowerDVD.
Your RME doing 32 bit 192khz doesn't mean that's what PowerDVD sends it.

And those fancy musician devices don't give you a secure audio path, resulting in HD/24 bit sound being output as SD/16 bit by PowerDVD, TMT or any other Blu-Ray software...

Source:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-requirements.do?ProductId=1&prodId=1&prodVerId=1102

HD Audio Compatible Sound Card and Codec List

Realtek ALC669 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 6 channels)
Realtek ALC670 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 6 channels)
Realtek ALC885 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-channels or 96kHz/24bit 4-8 channels)
Realtek ALC889 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-channels or 96kHz/24bit 4-8 channels)
Realtek ALC892 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 8 channels)
Realtek ALC898 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-8 channels)
Realtek ALC899 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-8 channels)
Realtek ALC1150 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-8 channels)
VIA EnvyHD Vinyl VT1818S codec (support up to 192kHz/24bit 8-channels)
VIA EnvyHD Vinyl VT1828S codec (support up to 192kHz/24bit 8-channels)
VIA EnvyHD Vinyl VT2020 codec (support up to 192kHz/24bit 8-channels)
Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD (supports HDMI 1.3a bit-stream lossless pass-through)
AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 Series graphics cards supporting lossless pass-through
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 Series graphics cards supporting lossless pass-through
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 with integrated audio and graphics

With any other output method, the HD sound from Blu-Ray will be downgraded.
ASIO vs bitstreaming... you really can read all kind of funny crap on these forums.
ASIO does NOTHING for a fully digital bitstreamed audio track, be it mono, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 or atmos.
ASIO is for musicians.
Quote: Atmos audio doesn't take up more disc space.
Additional data doesn't take additional disk space?
Yeah sure. I've been working for 20+ years as software engineer, and I have yet to find a miracle technology that permits such magic.
Quote: Kerrigan is wrong (apart from the meta data)
This elitist attitude and misinformation is not helping anyone!
Atmos uses audio objects and spatial coding.
I know how it works, and that additional data uses additional disk space.
I see Atmos becoming interesting with the upcoming larger blu-ray disks (for 4K), but on the limited space of the actual disks, I see it more like a liability than an advantage. Atmos will just reduce the general quality of audio (and possibly video too) for the majority.
I rather have a high quality 7.1 lossless track with highest possibly quality picture than reduced quality sound and picture because disk space is used for Atmos.

And it's just my opinion, like everybody I have the right to have one, no need to become rude and insulting.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Korrigan is correct. From the article cited: Note the date of release:

On September 30, 2014, Paramount Pictures will release the first Blu-ray Disc to feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack with the #1 movie of the year worldwide, Transformers: Age of Extinction. Both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack will offer a Dolby Atmos soundtrack encoded in Dolby TrueHD. Paramount Pictures will look to support additional Dolby Atmos home theater titles via online streaming and Blu-ray Disc later this year. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible, meaning they'll play on traditional home entertainment playback systems.
Thing is, even if they call it "Atmos" for maketing, a 7.1 TrueHD track remains... a 7.1 track. There's no support for the things that make Atmos so great, like more speakers and ceiling mounted speakers.
It's just like the supposed actual "4K" blu-rays... which are just 4K mastered, but are still 1920x1080 aka 1080p. It's marketing bullshit.

That's a bit of a bummer then. More like a fraud, really. Good to know, though. Thx.
Not sure. They can encode the additional Atmos data as "metadata" which the actual receivers are supposed to ignore (don't tell me about compatibility issues... this could be fun...). Thing is, Atmos for the very few who will have ceiling mounted speakers (do you have them? Most home theaters are still... yeah, guess what? 5.1!) will lessen the quality for the majority who are using 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 systems. Because more (useless for the majority) sound data means more disc space used.

So it's not exactly a fraud.
Quote: Korrigan is correct. From the article cited: Note the date of release:

On September 30, 2014, Paramount Pictures will release the first Blu-ray Disc to feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack with the #1 movie of the year worldwide, Transformers: Age of Extinction. Both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack will offer a Dolby Atmos soundtrack encoded in Dolby TrueHD. Paramount Pictures will look to support additional Dolby Atmos home theater titles via online streaming and Blu-ray Disc later this year. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible, meaning they'll play on traditional home entertainment playback systems.
Thing is, even if they call it "Atmos" for maketing, a 7.1 TrueHD track remains... a 7.1 track. There's no support for the things that make Atmos so great, like more speakers and ceiling mounted speakers.
It's just like the supposed actual "4K" blu-rays... which are just 4K mastered, but are still 1920x1080 aka 1080p. It's marketing bullshit.
Quote: Guess you never heard of 'Transformers -- Age of Extinction" then? It has a 7.1 TrueHD, Atmos-laden HD audio track, to name one current Blu-Ray.
You seem to confuse 7.1 TrueHD and Atmos. That's definitely not the same thing.
There is NO actual blu-ray disc with a full Atmos soundtrack. For instance, TrueHD does NOT support ceil mounted speakers.

It's not because a movie in the theater was using Dolby Atmos that it's the same on the BluRay version... simply because the actual BluRay format doesn't support Atmos at all.
Compressing can be lossless. That's precisely what DTS HD Master Audio and also Dolby TrueHD are - compressed lossless formats.
Quote: OK, explain this then.
I can set my NVIDIA cards refresh rate to 23.976 refresh rate to match the native frame rate of a Blu-ray disc.
Input that into my projector which shows it as 1080 24p (it rounds it up, but it is still displaying 23.976 FPS)

I turn its frame interpolation feature on and it looks just as good as if I had chose a 60 HRZ refresh rate in the NVIDIA control panel.
It's very simple, you can't. The best you can do (and which is done) is motion blur, and it's definitely not even remotely close to frame interpolation into a higher frame rate.

You are either suffering of observer error, or things are not what you believe they are. You can't have frames between to displayed frames. Think just one minute about what you are saying... and you'll realize it's impossible.

The frame interpolation of your projector most likely double or triples the OUTPUT frame rate. Input is still 24p, but output is much higher. Just what AMD does too.
You still won't be able to interpolate a 24 fps movie displayed in 24p. To interpolate, you need additional frames, which means higher framerate on your display.

If you expect smooth results like with AMD Fluid Motion while using 24p, you're in for a disapointment no matter the method you use, because it's just not possible.
Works just fine with my I7, as said above.
I7 + AMD 290x.

You definitely don't need an AMD processor for it.

And it is NORMAL that you have to use a higher refresh rate for Fluid Motion... because fluid motion upgrades the movie to that higher refresh rate, you have NO pulldown with fluid motion enabled.

Think about it, logically... you can't display more than 24 fps on a screen that displays only 24p, so fluid motion is impossible.

PS: and if you paid $500 for a 290 (we agree it's not a 290x right?), the vendor screwed you
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125505&cm_re=AMD_290-_-14-125-505-_-Product
Definitely not fixed for me, latest patch, latest AMD HDMI audio drivers. I often have to stop and restart a movie with DTS HD Master Audio (original disc, no copy) to get sound. It's not deal breaking, mind you, since the first restart usual fixes it, it's just annoying.
Go to: