Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
That option does not seem to work as I would expect.
Some of my clips are 4:3 but when I use this option to select an aspect ratio of 4:3 the clip in preview goes wide and squat.
When played on DVD the 4:3 video no looks ok and somehow shows full screen in 16:9.
Not sure what is going on but one thing is certain, the preview and what ends up on the DVD are not always the same.
In the disc preferences the only aspect item I can see is entitled "select the video recording format" and this is set to 16:9.

Another aspect problem is the DVD includes small clips from dig camera which are 4:3. Again they are ok in the preview but on disc they come out wide and squat. In Edit, I have opened the select Aspect ration setting of these clips and it was set to Detect Automatically, when I change this to 4:3 the clips are now displayed as wide and squat in Preview, not sure how they will be on the DVD but just about to burn again so we will see but takes several hours.
When playing DVD on a player the menu and video appear to be in different aspect ratios.
The menu looks correct when TV set to 16:9 but video then is too wide with black stripes top and bottom and short fat people. (TV set to auto aspect gives same result as 16:9)
If TV set to 14:9 then video looks ok but now menu to narrow with tall thin people.
When disc played on computer everything ok without messing with any settings, preview in PD9 also ok.
The project aspect ratio in PD9 is set to 16:9.
This is very frustrating as have made the DVD as Xmas present, can anyone help.

PS note videos from camera and using Gspot the size is shown as 720 x 576 with aspect 16:9, this does not make much sense to me.
Thanks Fenman, would be very interested if you could recommend a "proper authoring program".
Having at last mastered (almost) DVD menus, I now have issues with the sound.
Ideally I would love a piece of music to start as soon as the root menu shows and then to continue, uninterrupted, when moving to each of the scenes menus, but do not expect this to be possible.
However what I have now is really bad, the music starts as soon as root menu shows, then restarts when moving to the scenes menu. This I accept, but the problem is that ever time the curser moves thro the scene titles, the music restarts at ever curser movement. Surely this can be avoided.
Also very puzzled why music playtime is limited to 90 secs, not a big problem, but just wondering why.
With my old software (Ulead) there was one program for editing and one for DVD creation, it worked well but needed WinXP. I am beginning to think combining these two functions into one has left the DVD creation stuff lacking.
Thanks for that Carl, but I would worry about the reliabilty data because I suspect it is based on the HDD being used more or less continuously. I would anticipate that my HDD would be used infrequently, say once every 10 years. Mechanical devices "like" to be kept moving in my experience and also HDDs would need the associated technology to enable them to be read.

What about SD cards, no moving parts, but would they retain the data over the years, maybe associated technology is simpler? and therefore more likely to survive. (I lost an SD card once and found it several months later in the mud, it still worked perfectly)

Surely this must be becoming an important subject with everyone having digital photos etc. I see you can buy "archive" quality DVD's with extra protective layers, but I just have so little confidence in DVDs generally.

PS when researching this on the Internet I saw a humerous comment " the world is divided into two sets of people, those who have had a HDD failure and those who are about to have one".
I continue to record family stuff every year, including grandchildren, and need to consider how to store the recordings for many years, ideally say 50 years so granchildren can share with their children.
At present they are all on mini DV tapes which I am capturing onto PC hard drive using PD9.

1) Tapes should keep, but problem maintaining playing device because lots of complicated mechanical parts in camera (in fact mine has just gone pop so had to borrow another). Also about to buy new camera which will use SD card so no tapes from now.

2) DVD just do not seem reliable, even in short term.

3) HDD, again lots of mechanical stuff to fail.

4) Friend has suggested SD cards, quite cheap 16G for £8.

What's everyone's thoughts.
OK, thanks to your help and some Menu Tutorials on the Director Zone, I know think I understand the system, mad as it is. Finding out how to edit text in the "Menu Structure" layout was a real breakthro. Also finding Director Zone is going to be useful.
KISSII is great for getting rid of animation, but note the original KISS also does the job well if you follow the instruction to have black board as he selected frame for each chapter.
Its all very illogical but I know understand the logic, if that makes sense.

Thanks again.
Thanks for such a quick response, I wil explore all your tips over the next few days and report back.
just a couple of questions, what are those "item1. Item2 etc" shown on the pages, I just cannot understand how they work.
Also will it be possible for me to have all links to all chapters on the first root page, instead of the Play or Scenes options.
Thanks again.
PS I have just seen some notes under the original Kiss menus saying turn Thumbnails off and have black board at start of each chapter, assume this would fix animation problem but do not understand how to do these things but will investigate.
I am new to PowerDirector9 and pulling my hair out over DVD menues.
Have just download the above menu and still have moving pics.
But my greater concern is that I seem to have no control over anything, even though using the modify option.
Eg the root page is entitled MY VIDEOS, easy to change the format of this text but cannot edit the actual text, I must be missing something.
In my very old Ulead program (it will not run on anything above Win XP) I could create a simple root menu with all the chapters listed as active text buttons, as many as you wanted. The DVD I am trying to create, will have many chapters so I do not want to page thro loads of pages, would like to list about 10 on the root menu.
Either I am missing something or this program is incredibly limited when it comes to DVD menus. If this is the case is there any freeware I could use for menus that would work with PD.
I have a lot of one hour DV tapes which I would like to import, backup onto DVDs and edit at a later date. Had hoped I could just set capture running and come back after one hour, but have suffered lots of hiccups. Using Wirefire connection.
The tapes have some spaces and PD wants to create a new file at every space, additionally the aspect ratio of these files sometimes is wrong, all tapes are 16:9 but some of the files display at 4:3.
I just want a one file, one hour copy of each tape regardless of any gaps in the recordings.
(note tried the backup preference but it only recorded the first unbroken section and stopped at the first break)
Windows upgrade from Vista to Win 8 looks good value at£25, but is PD9 compatible.
Go to: