Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
It is not possible:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21460.page

They were still working on it the last time I checked. Any word on if they're adding it to 12 OR 13?
Quote: Hi MukiEX,
i suppose that Cyberlink will get many new customers. At the moment there are not many player (sw or hw).
HDA

If that were the case it woulda been in PowerDVD 11. If they do add this functionality, I can't imagine the customer enhancement will be significant. If there was enough demand for this feature, XBMC or VLC would have added it (they both have a good deal of forum posts asking exactly for this).

However, it will definitely keep me as a customer for upcoming versions if they were to add this feature out of, presumably, the goodness of their hearts and programming capability.

I would very much appreciate it if this got added, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Right now, sadly, converting a disc to ISO and loading it in PowerDVD seems to be the only reliable method. Personally I'd much rather skip all the menu-age.
I'm thankful you guys are properly looking into this. Hopefully we'll have a good resolution soon.

I'd much rather rip my 3D movie collection into simple MKV files, and if this works out, I will gladly pull my discs back out to re-rip the flicks. =3

Edit Note: Keep in mind, HDA, that this is the case of a missing feature. Right now, there's only one player on the market that I even KNOW OF that has the ability to play this kind of material (stereoscopic player v. 1.9.6). As such, it probably will take a non-trivial amount of time for them to add it to PowerDVD.

The problem is that everyone who's listed PowerDVD as capable of playing an MVC-equipped MKV file probably didn't actually test the material, or they would have noticed that the 2D->3D feature was being utilized.
I hate to drag this back up seven months later, but I'm in a similar scenario, and AMD, at least, has been of ZERO help (I've repeatedly raised this issue since MAY, and they've repeatedly closed my report while NOT fixing it).

The last driver that worked for my card was 11.7, which is over a year old at this point. Even that driver has broken VC-1 acceleration. Movies are unwatchable and I have to turn video acceleration off for what amounts to just about every non-3D Blu-Ray movie.

I've checked up to 12.8 and the problem wasn't even addressed in the notes, let alone fixed.

I have Windows 7, a Radeon 6570, and PowerDVD 12.

Is there a work-around to this issue or should I just warn everyone on these forums against buying AMD hardware, and this is beyond unacceptable. They advertise 3D accelerated Blu-Ray playback on hardware that's been broken for over a year.
Okay, so you can call this topic closed, but not in the traditional manner. I still stand by my complaint (I already had Windows 7 set to the "basic" theme), but it's essentially a non-point now.

So a computer in my house got a major upgrade, and the entertainment PC got its processor/mobo as a hand-me-down (I get a personal kick out of rebuilding my home PCs, apparently). So it went from from:
Core 2 Duo E4300, 4GB DDR2 RAM
to:
AMD Athlon II X2 240, 4GB DDR2 RAM (unganged)

Same HDD, graphics chip, software, everything. Basically, I was expecting lower power consumption and heat in exchange for an acceptable drop in performance.

Well, apparently I never really looked up a comparison of those two processors, because instead, I got a slight power jump (but the system runs cooler overall) and a MONUMENTAL increase in speed. As such:

- Dolby Digital mixing now works nearly flawlessly in every film. Moments where the audio pauses are VERY rare; I almost don't turn it back off. It's mainly for my wireless headphones, as their base unit only takes Dolby Digital as a digital input. My PC feeds both those and a surround system via optical.
- Next-to-ZERO performance issues, even in "TV Mode", which looks AMAZING (PowerDVD is assigned exclusively to 3D movie playback, so it's always set to a 3D interface). PowerDVD loads in SECONDS, and the horrifying customary startup delay is essentially GONE.

I am now an exceedingly satisfied customer. Given how much of a jump my Core 2 Duo was from the Pentium IV it replaced, I had no idea it was that low in the performance game overall. Guess you learn something new every day.
Quick spec recap:
Windows 7 64-bit
Core 2 Duo E4300
4GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon 6570 (Catalyst 11.7)
USB Optical Out Card

So, originally, I was on PowerDVD 10. I could play Blu-Ray movies pretty smoothly. I have a pair of wireless headphones which only accept Dolby Digital, so I would set the audio output to "Dolby Digital Downmix" or whichever that option was and it played fine.

I got a notice to upgrade to PowerDVD 12 and it seemed like a good deal.

So I guess it was a waste of cash and I'll be downgrading back to 10. I've yet to make it through a ten-second stretch of any movie that played smoothly. At best, I'll get audio fuzziness (this is with the Dolby Digital conversion turned OFF). This is where the dissapointment comes from:

- Video Acceleration is enabled via my graphics card
- Audio is being passed through directly via optical
- CPU usage is 60-90% and I get constant stutters and audio glitches

What, exactly, is PowerDVD DOING when I'm trying to watch my film that requires this much of my CPU when it's essentially passing ALL the data onto other devices? Keep in mind, PowerDVD 10 gave me NONE of these issues with the ADDED strain of having to convert DTS to Dolby Digital on the fly.

I am a little aggravated, and I couldn't find anything online regarding this issue. I understand that new software can sometimes be slow than older software, but this is a little extreme.

Keep in mind also that my aggravation isn't entirely in Cyberlink's camp. A good half of that is from Ati/AMD, who managed to make 9 driver versions (from 11.8 to the current 12.4) STRAIGHT without a working video acceleration implementation (and trial-and-error on driver installations, each requiring a reboot, is a grief I wish upon no man).

But either way, this feels like a MASSIVE performance regression in versions. It's literally unusable. Is this just Wirth's law in effect, or is there some sort of workaround for this?
Go to: