Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3D MKV playback
HDA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2013 06:36 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi to All,

I would like to know if PDVD12 can read MKV 3D created by MakeMKV (The last version of PDVD12 v2219).

MakeMKV has the function to extract MVC from BD3D and encapsulate it inside MKV file.

for your information the generated MKV are not SBS or TAB but the same encoding of the original Source (MVC).

The problem is that my full version of PDVD12 (The last version) are not able to start automatically the movie in 3D mode.

It's seems that are not able to detect the 3D from MKV file.

The only way to start the movie in 3D mode is force the 3D by pressing the 3D Button in PDVD12.
I suppose that is not the original 3D from the BD3D but created by PDVD12.

My hardware have passed all the test making the diagnostics with CyberLink BD & 3D Advisor.

Could you explain where i make some mistake?

thanks for your help

HDA

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2013 09:15

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please check if PowerDVD detects you file as 3D-File.
in the Library it should show up with a little "3D" in the left top if auto detection has recognized it as 3D file.

If not you can manually set the 3D mode by using the right-click

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
HDA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

Yes i have the little simbol 3D but when i start the movie it starts in 2D mode.

In your opinion after starting the movie it has to switch automatically in 3D mode or i need to do other steps?

I don't understand if after starting the 3D MKV with the little simbol 3D:

1) It starts automatically in 3D Mode

2) After starting the movie i need to press 3D button in PDVD12

3) After starting the movie i need to press 3D button on my TV remote.

Thanks for your help

HDA

Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
you need to enable the 3D playback in PowerDVD 12 manually (how should the applicaton know if you want to playback as 2D or as 3D )

In case you use HDMI 1.4 the 3D TV should automatically enable it's 3D mode when receiving 3D Material.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
HDA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Michael,

when i try to enable the 3D in Powedvd12 by pressing the 3D button the visualization is it the original 3D ( Like BD3D source ) or is it generated by PDVD12 by sw elaboration?

thanks for your help

HDA
[Post New]
Hi,
it is the original one - as it is detected as 3D file

Werde Facebook Fan
shanec70 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2012 23:18 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Not true, it is generated 3D and PowerDVD 12 doesn't know how to use the true 3D MVC stream in the makemkv created files.

You can prove this by comparing the original 3D ISO playing back and then playing the makemkv 3D mkv and see the difference, it's like night and day.

Also take note of the image size, it (even in full screen mode) isn't using the whole screen (you might not notice if your output device is performing overscan, something you should definitley disable if so).
HDA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

yesterday evening i made some test following your suggestions.

I have ripped with MakeMKV three differents BD3D following the same steps.

1) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
2) Amazing Spiderman
3) Ice age 3

Yesterday you have suggested me to looking for in PDVD12 if there is the little
3D simbol inside every "movie icon" in Video Lists.
In this case i had the little 3D symbol only for "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" but in the others two movies i did not get the little 3D symbol. I have Launched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"
movie but I does not seem to be similar to the original BD3D. The screen dimension is different.

Is it possible that PDVD12 did not detect the 3D properly?

I made another test for the two MKV not detected. After starting the movie i have enabled the 3D in PDVD12 but i got an error message that more or less told me that the movie is not visible in 3D because i have to change visualization" and automatically switch to 2d Mode.

Could you please help me?

Thanks for your help

HDA
HDA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cyberlink,

I have opened an Official technical ticket. Here below you can find the number.

CS001216378

Thanks for your help

HDA
[Post New]
Hi,
thanks for your reports - we can reproduce the issue and investigate the root cause now

Please understand that we cannot provide "live" status of this bug

br

Werde Facebook Fan
HDA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

How long will it take to solve the issue/bug?

thanks for your help

HDA
HDA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

Do you have any news about this issue?

Do you have just started to solve the issue?

Best regards

HDA
[Post New]
I'm thankful you guys are properly looking into this. Hopefully we'll have a good resolution soon.

I'd much rather rip my 3D movie collection into simple MKV files, and if this works out, I will gladly pull my discs back out to re-rip the flicks. =3

Edit Note: Keep in mind, HDA, that this is the case of a missing feature. Right now, there's only one player on the market that I even KNOW OF that has the ability to play this kind of material (stereoscopic player v. 1.9.6). As such, it probably will take a non-trivial amount of time for them to add it to PowerDVD.

The problem is that everyone who's listed PowerDVD as capable of playing an MVC-equipped MKV file probably didn't actually test the material, or they would have noticed that the 2D->3D feature was being utilized.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 19. 2013 11:38

Ready to go!
HDA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi MukiEX,

In my opinion MakeMKV is the best solution to rip Blu ray and DVD. Usually I create my file from original BD in 30 minutes (more or Less) without lose quality using my Intel Atom (Yes Intel Atom).
The functionality to rip in MKV the MVC codec from the Blu Ray 3D is a function that is inserted into MakeMKV 10 months ago (More or Less) and i don't understand because the Cyberlink team did not understand that this is the perfect solution for his customers. Instead to take many minutes (Or Hours) to make mkv SBS or mkv TAB (loosing quality) from 3D Bluray (I.E. DVDFab) , I can make using MakeMKV my MKV 3D copy in few minutes without using SuperComputer to encode the Video track.
I don't know if it's to take many days to find a solution . I hope the Cyberlink Powerdvd team will are able to solve the question because in this case i suppose that Cyberlink will get many new customers. At the moment there are not many player (sw or hw).

I hope that cyberlink will read this post.

HDA
Michelle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2013 01:56 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
yesterday evening i made some test following your suggestions.
[Post New]
Quote: Hi MukiEX,
i suppose that Cyberlink will get many new customers. At the moment there are not many player (sw or hw).
HDA

If that were the case it woulda been in PowerDVD 11. If they do add this functionality, I can't imagine the customer enhancement will be significant. If there was enough demand for this feature, XBMC or VLC would have added it (they both have a good deal of forum posts asking exactly for this).

However, it will definitely keep me as a customer for upcoming versions if they were to add this feature out of, presumably, the goodness of their hearts and programming capability.

I would very much appreciate it if this got added, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Right now, sadly, converting a disc to ISO and loading it in PowerDVD seems to be the only reliable method. Personally I'd much rather skip all the menu-age. Ready to go!
HDA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

Could you help me to understand because in the 2013 year i must send to Germany Cyberlink by mail (Using my money) my test files when it is more easier download the program from www.makemkv.com web site. In this method you are free to make all the test with yours BD3D.

Another possibility is copy my test files inside a ftp. Did you have a Ftp space in internet?

Thanks for your help

HDA

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 05. 2013 05:13