Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks for the reply Carl312 ,
I will certainly follow your advice on the next occasion where I encounter the need to join two video files.
I no longer have the two segments that I wrote about. I deleted them after I had joined them with DOS COPY.
Regards
Frank C
Hi,

I had an interruption of a capture from a VHS tape that held a 1946 movie recorded from TV.
The interruption was caused by a copyright mark. I closed the capture, advanced the tape beyond the copyright mark and did a second capture to the end of the tape.
Now the challenge was to join the two files. I did not see a way to do this in PD 8 so I Goggled "Join Video Files". I found this simple solution and tried "Trick 3':

http://txpress.blogspot.com/2007/01/join-multiple-video-mpg-files-in.html

My command needed UNC (Universal Naming Convention) addressing because my files are on a local network external drive.

The DOS copy command was :

copy /b "\\EXTERNALDRIVE\Public\CapVideo\Movie Musicals\1 Night and Day DVD HQ.mpg" + "\\EXTERNALDRIVE\Public\CapVideo\Movie Musicals\2 Night and Day DVD HQ.mpg" "\\EXTERNALDRIVE\Public\CapVideo\Movie Musicals\FullNight and Day DVD HQ.mpg"

/b indicates a binary file.
The copy command is not limited to two files:
http://www.computerhope.com/copyhlp.htm

It did take some time to execute but the result was a new file with a length exactly equal to the sum of the two input files.
It worked fine.

A way to compose this command and avoid typos is to copy the location and file name from file properties and paste into note pad, Then copy the completed command from notepad and paste into the cmd prompt.

Regards
Frank C
Thanks Neil,
My AVG firewall already had a rule to allow:
c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector\PDR8.exe
I changed it to block.
Problem solved. Now on Burn I see the Power Director 8 chair. I haven't checked out the other screens yet. I suspect they will be OK.

BTW, You did a masterful job filming Niomi and Paul's wedding. It was very heart warming.
I also looked at the snake and the tour of Melbourne.
Thanks
Frank
Duplicate attachment Here is screen one
Hi,
The HOSTS file entry did get rid of the PD 10 promotion (screen one) . Now I have something just as annoying (screen two). It is an information message from the browser "Navigation to the web page was canceled"
What do I block for this?
I wonder if this annoyance was some choice like "check for updates" that I may have made at installation time. If so, I could re-install PD 8.
Thanks for the replies,
If I look at Preferences and tab through
File, General, Editing. Confirmation. Capture, Produce and Director Zone
I see the unwanted ad on each of these. I don't see a way to turn it off.
This is not an ad that is coming from the Internet. It is an ad within Power Director.
It is offering an upgrade to PD 10.
In the General tab I do not have "Automatically check for software updates" selected.
Carl, Which ynotfish post should I look at?
How do I include a screen shot with this post?
Thanks
Frank
Hi,
I have PD 8 and it serves me well. I have no plan to go to PD 10. How do I get rid of the advertisement for PD 10 on most of the PD 8 screens?
Thanks
Frank C
Hi,
I mistakenly thought that the Camcorder was the input when using ION Video 2 PC. That is wrong the input is TV.
There is a setting that I needed to change. In Capture with the TV input selected It is:
Directors Chair > Capture > Device Set Up > Analog Video Settings > Video Setup > Capture Source > Choose Video Composite
It was set to S Video for the previous Cassette recorder..
Frank C

Hi,
I have had a setback in my efforts to capture old video's. Things were going well until my JVC Cassette
recorder/player stopped playing. It will fast forward and rewind but not play. I expect that it is dirty from
playing those old tapes. I am going to see if I can get it repaired.
In the meantime I tried another JVC cassette player. This one does not have S-Video as did the broken player. I connected the red and white audio and the yellow video to the ION. There is no signal coming to PD 8. It seems that the device is recognized because the icon labeled "Capture from a DVD camcorder or a AVCHD camcorder is lit. The TV and Microphone icons are also lit. This is what I saw with the original tape player. Yet there is no signal when I play a tape. The VCR instructions said to set it to CH 3 or CH 4. I tried both. Is there some PD 8 setting that I do not have correct for this configuration?
Thanks
Frank C
Hi All ,
Thanks to all for the education. I am learning!
I did follow Neil's steps. I got the folder to edit. There were several parts. I added a color and title front and went to produce. I did get a message that PD 8 doesn't support Dolby sound so I got video only. I did the produce just for drill.
Thanks
Frank C
Thanks for the reply Cubby,
I will follow your steps and post back.
You said: "If all OK open PD and import the video folder containing the video files."
But what about the audio. How do I get that included in the Produce step?
Thanks
Frank C
Hi,
Thanks all the forum experts for getting me started with PD-8.
I have Captured 21 old MGM musicals from VHS tape and I have learned to affix titles to the front end!
Now I wonder if I can do the same thing with DVD's that I have bought.
I don't have a camcorder. I use the E: drive to play a DVD with Windows Media Player. How do I designate that drive to PD-8 as the capture source?
Thanks
Frank C
Thanks Carl and Tony
I tried WMV 9 DVD quality. The result was very good playing back with Power Director or Windows Media Player. Unfortunately, it was not accepted by Verizon Media Manager. The other draw back was the inordinately long time it took to produce- about 2 1/2 hours for a 2 hr 15 min movie. The specs for Verizon Media manager allow these Video formats:
AVI, WMV. FLV, 3GP/3, MPG (Non-MPEG2), MP4/M4V. MPEG2 is not allowed
I am going to try WMV at 2000Kbps - DVD Quality
Thanks
Frank
Thanks for the reply Tony,

I really did not have a good reason to select that profile other than that it was WMV. Quality is not a huge concern since I can't improve the original source. I am capturing old VHS tapes that I had recorded long ago from cable TV movies.
As I mentioned, I am using Verizon Media Manager to stream the video to the TV.via the router.
What resolution (Profile) would you recommend?
Thanks
Frank C

Hi,
When I produce, I choose .WMV for output format. I found that this format re-syncs the audio and video where .MPG from the capture device (ION) had lost the synchronization. With .WMV that synchronization is restored. When I produce and choose .WMV there is a drop down where I can select the Profile type. The default is Windows Media Video 8 for Color Pocket PC's (225Kbps). For my purposes, streaming to the television with Verizon Media Manager, I would like the default to be Windows Media Video 9 for Local Area Network (768Kbps). Where is this default set?
Thanks
Frank C
Thanks Carl312
I can't find a mention of the scrubber in the manual. Can you tell me what it is and its's function is?
I did get the duration of the color box and the duration of the title clip set to the same value.
You are correct about experience. With your help, I am learning.
I'll try to attach a screen shot. This is the return to edit just after production completed.
The movie did play with the title that I added!
Regards
Frank C
Thanks Carl312,
I finally got a title in. I had a devil of a time getting the movie over to the right in the master video track to make room for the title. I finally used all content color board to put a color segment in front of the movie for the title. I don't know yet know how to adjust that space for a good title length.
Thanks
Frank C
Hi,
I want to add a title to rhe beginning of a movie that I produced.
I found these instructions for PD 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8yRVlseFk
but the final step of attaching the title to the movie was not explained. How do I save the edited title and attach it to the movie?
Thanks
Frank C
Many thanks to Hal and Carl
I am getting better at the tasks of producing suitable videos. I found the preference option as you both said.
One question; I don't understand why I am returned to EDIT at the completion of Produce. The results are already on the output disk. Perhaps this is to do further editing if desired. There doesn't seem to be a obvious way to save the final product.
My goal is to get Video files of old MGM musicals that I have on VHS tapes into a format acceptable to the Verizon Media manager so I can stream them to the television. The ION capture device (video 2 PC) produces .MPG. The audio and video was badly out of sync in speaking and singing parts. I used the NCH Prism Video converter to change to .WMV format but some of the files were not accepted by Media manager they were marked as "corrupted". They did play in Windows Media Player. On a whim I tried to convert with Cyberlink's Produce and the resulting .WVM was accepted by Media Manager This whole business of choosing an output format is very confusing. I don't need the very best quality because the original source is not that good - just a format that works and conserves space.
Regards
Frank
Hal,
Thank you very much for the help.
I printed your instructions and used them successfully. It was so much simpler that trying to master Multi Trim. I did not see an opportunity to name the output file. It was named produce. Of course, I could rename it. I also did not see a place to set preferences. I will peruse the help for that. I did not cut out "blue screens" there were just too many. I'll live with them. I was able to get rid of some closing extraneous scenes by right click, split and remove.
You have save me countless hours in my learning.
Thank You
Frank C
Go to: