Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The auto-refresh rate looks like a weak attempt to shut me up (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19975.page). There doesn't seem to be any reference to it in the settings anywhere. There is no prompt for it in cinema mode either, so I still have to drag out the keyboard. In regular mode (which I'll never use because this is for my TV), I am asked about auto-refresh rate when the disc starts playing. I was happy to see that someone is listening. Still, I'm not shelling out any more money until this is fixed.

The setup screen should have auto-refresh rate enabled, disabled, or prompt with each disc that is different from current refresh rate.

These settings should affect regular AND cinema modes.

These settings should be accessible from either mode.

I loaded the trial today. That means you guys have 30 days to make it work. I'm very disappointed that this version was released before it was ready. The software works good. Easy Auto-refresh rate will make it great. Auto-refresh rate is the most needed feature above all others. I believe that most of the big screen owners out there would agree.

Dave
Arcsoft TMT5 is different and automatically switches the refresh rate per disc. There is no option in the setup to control this feature, it just happens. Apparently, it works so poorly that they offer a fix involving replacement of a file to permanently disable the feature. Overall, I had less success with TMT5 than PowerDVD. This does not mean that hey are off the hook. It just means that they are closer to having a good working product than others. Also, keep in mind that a there are other factors involved beyond a smooth, clear picture. The audio must be synched with the video properly. All audio modes should be supported too, especially HD audio. Another thing to consider is your hardware. You may have a great video card, but it may not fully support Blu-ray. Audio support is very important too. Most of the better video adapters support HDMI audio and video through a single cable. Trying to get everything working from two different sources may present problems as you attempt high quality audio. Your system may play DVD's like a dream but Blu-ray is a whole new ball game, especially at HD resolution.
Dave
Are you using Windows 7 or XP?
Maybe this will help. I don't know.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/19975.page

Dave

The answer is in my original post. The software is flawed. Loading 3 or 4 other pieces of software to make it sort of work is unacceptable and they know it. I'm confident that Cyberlink will fix this issue. They are already doing it with the 3D configuration, they've just gotta tweak the non 3D playback to match the disc. Shouldn't be that hard but who really knows? It may be a total rewrite. As more and more high end TV's are making their way into people's living rooms, this topic will continue to come up. If they don't have it fixed until 12 is released, they should consider giving us a free or near free upgrade as compensation for purchase of a defective product.
Dave
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Fixing this in 11 may inspire me to buy 12 when released, but making me buy 12 to get this feature will probably cause me to look elsewhere. I already have more money invested in this than any stand-alone player made. I bet there are plenty others out there who really love your product too. We just want it to work right.
Thanks!
Dave
Do these converted videos have sound when played from other programs?
I've read all the questions about PowerDVD and refresh rates. CyberLink, it's time for you to admit that you got so far and simply quit. For those of you who are unaware of the problem, you probably watch your movies on a small screen, or just have accepted tiny jitters as normal. The truth is, Blu-Rays are supposed to be played at 24Hz, not 60. When you watch one at 60, the movie must skip or pause (not sure which one) over frames to stay aligned with the audio. On a large, high quality screen, it's so noticable that some may decide that Blu-Ray is not worth it. On smaller screens and cheaper large screens, its not so bad. I suppose this has been acceptable since they first rolled out BR compatibility. When 3D was finally rolled out, they had no choice but to force PowerDVD to run at 24Hz for 3D. I have several 3D BR's and they are clear, smooth, and impressive. When the movie is over, Windows switches right back to 60Hz again. By the way, everything else in Wndows runs like doo doo at 24Hz. I bring this up before someone suggests switching everything to 24Hz. It's not a practical solution. When watching a regular Blu-Ray, the quality is terrible... until you break out the keyboard, minimize Windows Media Center, open up the video controls in Windows, and dig several layers down to change the refresh rate. Once you have changed everything to compensate for PowerDVD's mistake, the movie plays as well as the 3D movies do. When you are done with your movie, you've still gotta undo the changes in Windows. All that trouble really makes a $100 stand-alone player look pretty good, but that's not why we set up our Media Center PC, is it? Why, why, why doesn't it switch to 24Hz when playing regular BR's? Suppose someone doesn't want it to switch. Shouldn't we be given the option to allow or disallow? Why would you add this feature for 3D only? I'm ashamed to admit that I have one kick butt computer because of PowerDVD. It must be my video card. Nope. Processor? Nope. Memory? Nope. Those HDMI cables were cheap. Nope. They've all been replaced with the good stuff, and it still plays like crap. One little fix guys. A simple patch. You wrote it. I bought it. PLEASE FIX IT.

Go to: