Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
if you bought within 30 days of version 10 of PowerDirector being released (on 10th October) then email Cyberlink as you are entitled to the new version free.
I saw a bundle they were doing if you bought PDR9, where thet gave you Media Expresso free. This was an on-line promotion a few weeks ago.
Carl - I see on the PDR10 forum that Cyberlink have a free upgrade policy if you have bought within 30 days of a new version coming out.

I have emailed Cyberlink so fingers crossed.
Thanks Carl.

I don't know anyone with a decent graphics card that I could borrow to do the test - which is a pity.

I must say that I am a happy with the encoding time.

On my old Win XP PC with Pinnacle Studio 9 the encode would have taken many hours.

It's just a pity that I bought PDR9 on the 4th of October and version 10 is now out (:
I thought some people may be interested in some unscientific tests I did today.

I have just built the a setup with the following.

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) motherboard
i7 2600K with Intel HD3000 graphics (using the latest Intel 8.15.10.2509 driver)
16Gb G-Skill PC3-12800 RAM
AMD HD3450 256K video card (this was given to me).
Hitachi 3Tb 7200K Hard disk (HDS723030ALA640)
Corsair Force 3 120Gb SATA 6 SSD that I keep the video files on and render to.
Windows x64 Ultimate (Service Pack 1)
PDR9 Ultra64 (9.0.0.3305)

Test objective - to see the difference between encoding using the discrete graphics card and the Intel HD3000 graphics card.

I have produced a 33.23 minute video of kids rugby with one title at the beginning.

I made a H.264 file in the pre-sets for iPod which makes a 2.53Gb file.

1) Using the AMD discrete HD3450 video card – 16:15 mins
2) HD300 GPU with Hardware Video Encoder – 6:25 mins
3) HD3000 GPU with Hardware Video Encoder & Quick Sync -7:33 mins
4) HD3000 GPU with Hardware Video Encoder & Quick Sync & CPU Overclocked at 4190Mhz – 6:22 mins

What I can't do is this test with a more powerful discrete card which is a pity. As I don't play games I can't see the point in spending a whole wad of cash to buy a powerful graphics card.

What say you guys?
Thanks for that link Carl.

I notice that you have a HD 5770 1Gb & Ultra64. Is that card sufficient?
Thanks Fred

I am going to stick with the 3Tb "normal" hard disk as C and use the SSD to hold the video files whilst I import and edit.

Should I start a new thread about what video card to buy?

I am prepared to spend up to £140 max.
Thanks Robert.

I am bit confused then as it seems PDR9 doesn't need 100Gb free on the C as a "swap" file.

So maybe if I had a 1Gb Video card it would have worked.

I specifically bought a motherboard with the Z68 chip as this is supposed to speed up video processing compared to using a separate video card.

I have installed my 3Tb drive as my C: and got the latest PDR build from Cyberlink and it has installed fine.

What I will try out of interest is plug the SSD back in and try installing the latest build.

I may also buy a 1Gb video card anyway.
Oops sorry James I didn't notice about the 100Gb free on C:

So do you think it would work if I got a 256Gb SSD as my C: ?

I really don't want to go back to a spinning disk a C: if at all possible.
Thanks Carl

I have done 2 things more.

I have installed a 256Mb Discreet card & I have also found that I can set the inbuilt graphics from 64 to 128 or 256Mb.

So I have chosen 256Mb for the inbuild graphics.

My SSD has 24Gb free now. n.b. I have 3Tb drive as D as well.

Where now I wonder.
Jim

The video card I have but which isn't installed yet is based on the ATI Radeon 5000 series chipset.

So the only video card in there is the build in Intel 3000 GPU that is on the Sandy Bridge i7 chip.

I'll bring the Radeon based card in on Monday, install it and try the PDR9 installation again.

Thanks for your help.
Thanks Jim

I did try it but no joy. It installs Wave Editor fine but if you looking in PowerDirector folder where PDR9.exe should be, you can see all the files haven't been loaded.

It does report as installing fine.

It doesn't seem logical that it would have to have a discreet graphics card unless the old integrated ones (pre HD3000) weren't man enough for it.
Hi Jim

I should have plenty of resources available as I have 16Gb of RAM.

I am an admin on the machine so it sould have installed okay from that point of view.

I do have a HD 5770 graphics card at home (& I did actually mean to bring it to work where the PC is) but I'll do that on Monday.
Hi

First post here.

I have done the install a few times and it's plain to see that although the install says it is complete, it isn't as there is no pdr9.exe file in Program Files.

I have QuickTime 7.7 installed.

I did a quick search here and someone mentioned about maybe having to have either a discreet video card or have 128Mb allocated the on-board card. Is that correct?

See attached dxdiags.

Many thanks in advance.
Go to: