Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing AVI Files Using CInepak or Microsoft Video 1 Codec - Issue after updating
7_Cam_7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 11, 2011 16:28 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hey All,

I am posting this message as ideally I hope someone can help or failing that, this message gets back to the dev team so hopefully the next patch will resolve this issue. I have been communicating with the guys on the support site and I'm not entirely convinced that either of the above will happen.

I've taken a look through the forum and although I have found similar issues I have not found one with the same circumstances nor a solution to the problem, apologies (and a massive thank you) in advance if someone can point me in the right direction.

The Problem - Importing AVI Files Using Cinepak or Microsoft Video 1 Codec After updating to build 2930 or later.

If I upgrade my version of Power Director 9 Ultra to a version above 2702 various videos using the Cinepack codec and also Microsoft Video 1 codec have stopped importing. I was able to use these videos up to and including version 2702. BUT If I try to import these videos using either version 2930 or 3305 I get an error message that reads 'An error has occurred while opening this media file in the media library... etc'

PDR 9 Ultra 64
windows 7 64 bit
I have the latest 32bit and 64bit Klite codec packs installed The video works fine in windows media player and it also plays fine in Power Directors "Media Import Window' in the Cyberlink rich video window.
The files I am having issues importing are generated using mainly Sketchup 8 and Camstudio

I have wound back to version 2702 to finish my project and that was fine but the bugs in that version are such that I would really like to upgrade to the latest build.

Any Ideas greatly recieved...

Cam

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I have wound back to version 2702 to finish my project and that was fine but the bugs in that version are such that I would really like to upgrade to the latest build.

Any Ideas greatly recieved...

Cam

You can chose which version you want to upgrade to.

All of the patches are here:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_GB.html
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

7_Cam_7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Carl, Thanks for your answer. Actually I was aware of the various patches, which incidentaly, is how I have been able to test to see if the problem exists on each version and then 'roll back' to version 2702 to complete the critical project I was working on when I first discovered the 'bug'.

My ideal scenario now, would be to take advantage of the bug fixes in build 3305 but stil be able to use video using Cinepak code e.g those exported by Sketchup. (or hope that the next patch resolves this issue).

rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I guess I'm kind of numb when it comes to some of these things - When I import an AVI file, I just - import it. I'm not doing any choosing of what codec to use - it's just like Magic, man--. lol. -- Really, I'd like to understand what the deal is.

But I have noticed that AVI files aren't PD's format of preference. When I convert AVIs to mpegs before importing, everything always goes extremely smoother and faster.

RB
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
rbowser wrote:
I guess I'm kind of numb when it comes to some of these things - When I import an AVI file, I just - import it. I'm not doing any choosing of what codec to use - it's just like Magic, man--. lol. -- Really, I'd like to understand what the deal is.

AVI is a container. That container can have various encoded video files. One that Powerdirector does not like is Xvid and another is Divx. If the AVI is one of those formats, then PD chokes.

You do not chose the codec, the codec information is encoded within the file.
Converting AVI to MPG is a safe way of ensuring that PD can handle the video. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the explanation, Carl - I get it better now. If the user has AVI files which have Xvid or Divx encoding (maybe others)-- then PD has an issue, but it's not as if the user can change how the AVI file has been encoded.

Converting to MPG was what I had to do with my very first PD project. PD was completely choking - the project would have taken over 20 hours to burn!--Once I converted to MPG and imported that, then the burn was down to under an hour.

RB
7_Cam_7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You do not chose the codec, the codec information is encoded within the file.
Converting AVI to MPG is a safe way of ensuring that PD can handle the video.

If mpeg's are a a safe bet, can anyone suggest a lossless MPG codec and possibly a piece of software that will use the codec to convert the files?
Carl312
[Post New]
If mpeg's are a a safe bet, can anyone suggest a lossless MPG codec and possibly a piece of software that will use the codec to convert the files?

Do a search of the internet for AVI to MPG converters. There are many around. Some are better than others.

One that has been mentioned in the forum is Format Factory.

I don't know if there a lossless mpg. MPG is MPEG1 or MPEG2, both are lossy compression methods.
What you want is Mpeg-2.

Just about every video file format we use is lossy. Even the HD ones. Mp4 has the most compression.

Here is a list of codecs, some lossless and some lossy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_codecs

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2011 21:26

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Isn't Media Espresso, the converter that comes with PD OK? That's what I used to convert AVIs to MPEGs, and the results look fine to me.

RB
Carl312
[Post New]
Isn't Media Espresso, the converter that comes with PD OK? That's what I used to convert AVIs to MPEGs, and the results look fine to me.

Media Espresso is a Cyberlink product, but it is a stand alone product
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/mediaespresso/overview_en_US.html?&r=1

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2011 21:30

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Media Espresso is a Cyberlink product, but it is a stand alone product
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/mediaespresso/overview_en_US.html?&r=1

Hi, Carl - I've noticed that Media Espresso is sold separately, but it came bundled with my PD9, a regular, fully functioning version. I've been happy with the job it does - and I thought it always came with PD9.

RB
rob1965 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2011 05:04 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I saw a bundle they were doing if you bought PDR9, where thet gave you Media Expresso free. This was an on-line promotion a few weeks ago.
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I saw a bundle they were doing if you bought PDR9, where thet gave you Media Expresso free. This was an on-line promotion a few weeks ago.

Oh! - I didn't realize at the time I bought PD that I was getting a special deal. For around $70, I got PD, Media Espresso, Wave Editor, Photo Now, and a group of Christmas menus. I thought PD always featured those extra apps. Glad I bought PD when I did!

RB
rob1965 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2011 05:04 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
if you bought within 30 days of version 10 of PowerDirector being released (on 10th October) then email Cyberlink as you are entitled to the new version free.