Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
While I have acquired a stable system, I realize that I am seeing the same thing you guys are.

David, I replied to your question on my thread so I don't clutter up the other one: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/18784.page#99268 (we need to keep these three threads bumped)
and I sent you a PM if you could check that. Forgot to mention my email is my username at gmail.com

I really appreciate the work many of you are putting forth to resolving this issue.
I'm surprised to see the latest patch come out with such haste. I see a lot of things they need to address. I wish I had more support to bring to the table.
In response to your post David, the camera I'm using is the Canon HG10 producing files in mts format. Ive produced the videos into HD mpeg2 and 4 with similar results.

In order to finish my projects I have resolved to not reboot my computer since most commonly after a cold start, the issue is more likely to happen. Everything runs flawlessly if I install and keep the computer on.

Registry dump comparisons provided no worth while informaiton. And with the installer I am using (pre-patched to 2930) my hands are tied. I have been providing tech support with a number of dumps and logs but I'm skeptical about an answer being in that data.
David, did you load the patches one by one or went direct from 2330 to 2930?

Do all box sets of PD9 come un-patched?
You do not have the same issue I am facing. My issue is that the software locks up for that time period or for good and nothing can be done with the program.
As forum OG stated, its best to keep the issues in seperate threads, I'm going back to my thread.
With the alleviated sympton over the weekend, I was able to get some work done finally. I'm a little pooped out over tech support but have gotten that fired up again. But I have not attempted to do any more testing just yet.

i might run some checks on registry data between stable and unstable states.
ATI driver dated 7/29/2011 is the latest driver even if there is a later post date. Latest driver atm is 8.881.

David's icon comment is regarding, in part, the 4 Magic icons to the left of work space. When working with the files, the icons keep "refreshing" where the Green "S" Magic Music icon starts at the top and moves down presenting the other icons. When the software locks up, this animation is halted in the middle of it's process whether for 10sec or lock.

I'd like to mention that this appears an "us against them" feel to it and I would like to ask everyone to avoid it if they can. While I'm not keep on the huge disk space is required argument, Jan, that partition is a little small, provided the amount of free space left over. This topic is not important though, as I have had a couple days of no issues and while I use PD9 more, the issue is rearing its head again.

I would like to hear other thoughts from the regulars about their experiences.
I have not figured out the source of the problem yet. Though my test results are back and forth. I have stabilized it into a functional state by now, it seems by uninstalling and re-installing so many times. I think it works now because I actually broke the function that was causing the hangs. So my current advice is uninstall and re-install again and again.

Tech support is pretty much no help (they might as well answer the phone with the name Peggy) and I have to talk to them in order to communicate with Taiwan. I've called various extentions but I get hung up on because I don't speak Taiwanese. I'm pretty displeased but would still like to resolve the issue because I do think its an easy fix on Cyberlink's end. There are too many people with the same issue for this to be tossed aside.

Jan, I saw your post about rev.2330. I didn't try back that far on backdates, partly because I'm not sure if loading an old patch on a new release makes a difference. Advice to you is use your version un-updated until you realize you need to update.
Hey Steve,
As you noted, we are having somewhat similar issues with the ~10 sec hang.

I was experiencing this early on and the hang went away but the lock ups stayed. But I am not really sure why I'm not having the 10 sec hang problems any more, other than the only thing I changed was to stop using shadow files. With fast systems that feature is more of a hindrance to PD9 than the HD videos themselves. I am not sure that this is the fix either.

Where did you get all the other CLcleaners?

Good luck with getting past level 1 tech support.
I will continue to update my thread as news arrises: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18784.page
I just wanted to let everyone know after a lot of back-dated drivers and various pd9 install procedures i am unable to reproduce the problem.

Looks to have something to do with either ati driver, smartsound, quicktime, CLcleaner, or the mess of uninstalling and reinstalling things many times. OR, i'm just momentarily lucky and the problem will resurface tomorrow. But what I do note is video transition, when overlapping videos, no longer pauses for about a second when doing movie playback. Not that it was an issue aesthetically, but proof that there was more going on behind the scenes that was probably the cause.

...now to go through the steps in a systematic way to isolate the cause... tomorrow.
Hey Dave, thx for the thoughts but both suggestions don't apply in my case. BUT if I knew of a way to avoid the problem I wouldn't be here desperately hoping for solutions.

Though I am wondering if your Force 3 drive, which is the same as mine, is your C: and is also where PD9 is installed?

Because if it works for you then we can put the SSD thing to bed.

And thanks for the suggestion on video, I was already eyeing that one!!
I have a Caviar Black 1TB on the way... maybe need to just go ahead and get a non-ATI video card too.

PowerDirector vets, any suggestions on video cards?
Also, any links to old revision software?
Found a new way to create a lock up - by moving the video line up. See attached screen snip, thats how the sw froze.
Dafydd, can you link me to older revisions of PD9? Apparently current downloads of PD9 have the latest patch built in?
This is my PD9 installer name: VDE110307-01

I uninstalled PD9 and reinstalled... and i suppose installed 2702 over what ever my installer is - problem continued.
Re-loaded Win7 with latest drivers, installed PD9 and didnt want to install any updates but lo and behold it was at 2930 as soon as I opened it up. Anyway, as you guessed, still locks up.

I've slimmed the symptoms down to a couple files and i use the Trim feature. Come out of that and I can do other things in the software, even adjust that track's volume but as soon as I grab that track to move it, lock. I'm out of ideas, short of replacing the drive, but I do feel like I've found a bug.
Trust me, I want there to be an easy explination to this and the SSD is pretty much as easy as it comes but I see no proof. I googled your suggestion and a couple other variables with no actual facts or even a handful of outcry about video editing problems from a SSD. Only time it's suggested that its bad is because of disk size and premature EOL. And when mention of lagging and such comes up, its one guy with no references. On 5 google pages did that happen twice.

I too would rather not enter the SSD debate because there hasnt been enough time for any real experience to come of it. Anything that was found in early 2010 is old news because the disk makers fixed those issues. (I have no references on this but it just looks like the case - SSD architecture is such a rapidly changing product)

Please, lets look at other possibilities that I may work on so I don't just throw money around from the start. Trust me, I am humble enough to admit defeat when the time comes and I'll stick this out until its fixed... hopefully. So there will be proof of this problem.

Now, where can I find old updates?
This was a fresh install (FYI) so there is no other software on the disk. I swept away the file clutter and turned off shadow files and got rid of them too. (Man does it look better and run smoother w/o shadow files!) Alleviated 89gigs free.

So I was able to find a way to reproduce the problem with this one little project. Bring in a video (69meg) and have it next to another video (above or below) and Trim the video. Click OK, brings me back ... all is ok until I do something like adjust time location of a video or move the playback pointer. THEN PD9 halts. At this point they have been hard stops.

I like Win7's Recourse Monitor tool and sat here for an hour analyzing the data. ...and well, my conclusion is I didn't learn the answer , but I did rule out disk and memory problems related to "not enough space". Page faults are negligible, total ram usage is 25%, disk activity during a lock up is minimal to non existant (which doesn't rule out the disk though).... and it looks more and more like PD9 software code hanging.

Rocket-scientist, I'm gonna have to shut down your explination on my problem. You are describing a complete system lockup and sounds like you know a lot, but enough to get you into trouble. PD locks w/o a hitch to any other sevice or resource which made it easy to monitor the fault activity.

I read those threads again and did some searching related to hangs and lockup. This whole idea of not enough disk space is preposterous and seems to have gotten stuck in your heads. It looks to stem from a single person where it spread from there. The OS doesnt use a disk as RAM except only as large as the page file. PD does utilze the video files on disk but only for reading (PD does not write to any video files) so requirements of large disk space are defunct. Yes, maybe some people have a bunch of crap on their pc by the time they are running out of disk space and a reload fixes it. The other commonality in a couple of those threads are SSD's. I've heard plenty of negative issues with these drives which why changing is #2 on my list.

Trying anything else you guys might have me do is #1 (especially since i dont have a new disk yet). I'd be interested in a new line of thought on this subject. I'm game for tweaking settings, checking drivers, PD version (2930), PD reload, is the project tainted, i dunno, i'm out of ideas.
I love it when a host of forum regulars come and swoop in on a noob with links to backup common technical issues.

Great bookmark page - only if more mods kept a page like that.

I'll first scrape everything off the SSD, see how that affects it. I want to finish this project before having to buy another disk.
Rocket-scientist, I value your feedback and am leaning with you, that my disk is probably at fault, but I must disagree with your reasoning. If I'm working with a 30meg file, why do you think 57gig of free disk space wouldn't be enough?

I'm probably going to buy another platter disk with large buffer as you suggest to humor this theory, but I'm not sure I follow the reasoning for why a SSD isn't good for video editing. I bought it for this reason primarily, heck, I almsot dropped the extra buck for the GT which has synchronous chips which handle large file sizes better.

Ram... I'm not sure I have a bottle neck there with 4 gigs. These issues can begin at a moments notice after a cold boot working with just a couple files of 1-4 minute length. Files cued up amount to a 16th of Ram while all operations will total to just under a gig.

Again, I love all ideas coming at me and my arguments against are meant to simply be that, just an argument so bring it on.

I can make a video of this problem happening... the issue is pretty clear though. The real problem is to outline every chance that it can happen.
decided to try from a non-64bit system

edit: well that worked as it should have originally. I think i'm going to change my default IE back to the 32bit version.

Is there a way I can access administrative settings on the PD9 software? One thing I would change is how I dont like that everything (ie. buttons appearing) is animated. That is just more stupid stuff the software has to render when it should be focused on the important task at hand.

My fear about this situation is that its a hardware problem - i spent good money on this SSD... yet when PD9 times out momentarily, everything else about the computer runs fully functioning.

Does anyone think turning off shadow files would alleviate this problem? I dont mind decreased quality previews, pixilated images, momentary green screens, or minimally lagged interface, I just want these lock-ups to stop! Every time it happens, I'm set back a couple steps and have to restart the software. I'm just lucky PD9 auto saves as much as it does.
Sorry, I said ghost, I meant shadow.

Where is/how do i generate the dxdiag file?

edit: nm, silly me, please hold for file

edit #2: i dunno, the forum wont complete the 24k upload

In all seriousness, if you want to see the file, I can post it here or email it. (william.gh at gmail.com)
While working with any number of files (1 for that matter) the software lags out for about 10 seconds. 10% of the time it locks up and must force close.
This issue normally happens when I come out of a clip adjustment and I move the timeline pointer and drop it. It holds my mouse icon as the watch face with two arrows until it releases me from the lock. This is a singular example of how it happens at random times.

The system is athlonIIx4 645, 4gig of 1600 ram, solidstate disk, Radeon HD5670, on a Bulldozer mobo, Win7x64

Working with AVCHD mts files with ghost files. I'll bet the hefty files have something to do with it but I'm not convinced "the machine cant handle it" because at other times, I'm able to load up 5 videos and sail through them frame by frame in review and preview. It only comes down to problems when I'm utilizing simple features that alter trim or sound or transitions.

Any suggestions before I jump ship?
Go to: