Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm hovering around 300-350GB Free before making the video. I don't know if that has anything to do with it...it seems like I will still have 100GB left over at a min, but who knows? I can try to delete some data, but that probably won't fix the crashing when editing
Hello forum,

I have been trying to edit and produce a large video all night and it keeps crashing on me. The video is 40 minutes long and it is a mix of a person talking with slides put on top of the speaker at different intervals (the subject is just elaborating on his powerpoint presentation)

It is a little late for me, and I can run some diagnostics and provide screen shots if my problem requires more information. I have spent time searching the forum, and I found many threads on 'crash when editing' and 'crash when producing', but I think I have it narrowed down to one track that I am using to blur the background.

High level info: I have a Windows 7 Pro x64 box with 24GB RAM and a Core i7 processor. I have a mirror array of two SSD's for my Operating system (which hosts PowerDirector), then a RAID5 array of 6 velociraptor drives to store my video/photo/audio/etc files. I have made dozens of videos and this is the only one where I'm getting a consistent crash rate. I have made copies of the file and opened up the PDS xml file and edited the track in question.

Here is what is happening:
I have a track that is entirely 'blur scroll' effect. It is the effect where you can blur the background, but have text scroll across the screen that is in focus. I'm using this effect to blur the background (the speaker giving the presentation), while the slides are being shown. Granted there may be a better way to do this (I just need the background blurred when showing a slide, and no blur when I'm only showing the presenter), but the method I'm using is crashing PD11.exe.

I don't want any text to scroll when I blur the background. At first, I just made a bunch of empty effects and it worked wonderfully. Then after making 15-20 copies of the effect and installed them into my timeline, it randomly crashes. Here is the weird part....when I open it back up, the scoll effect has replaced the blank text with Chinese letters or other ASCII characters. It is mostly Chinese letters (or it could be another southeast asia language - I can't tell). Regardless of what language it is, I now have letters scrolling across the screen when it should be blank. I have tried going in and replacing the unwanted letters with one space, and I have also tried removing the letters and just using no text at all. The last thing I tried was making a whole new track, copying the one good effect over and over and just trimming the size. All three of these methods cause PD11 to randomly crash. It will crash at one of two spots. Either 1. WHen I try to change the text of the effect or 2. WHen I try to produce a video in MP4. It also crashes for MOV and AVI.

I have tried editing the XML file to remove the unwanted letters and then opening the file, but it still crashes.

Any ideas? I've attached some screen shots of what is happening.

Thanks,
Michael
Hi,
Has anyone had a chance to look over my DXDIAG and figure out what is going on? I would really like to be able to upgrade to the patch.

Do developers look at this forum, or is there anyway to entere a ticket into their system?
Attached dxdiag

From previous post:

I think the root of the issue has something to do with the latest patch. My system can handle the software, as it has had no problem making hour+ movies up until the recent patch. The SSDs are not used for the movie/edit files, that is all done on WD Black drives.

I can re-install the patch and post another diag file if needed. I just can't pinpoint what happened in the patch that would cause this issue. Right now, I'm in business: i'm editing movies with no slowness. I would like to be able to apply the patch so I have the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the help so far. Any other help is greatly appreciated.
Also,
If you would like me to re-install the patch and then post some diagnostics, I can do that. I have no problem rolling it back once i output the results.
Update: I uninstalled the software numerous times before, but this time I left out the most recent patch. This has fixed the problem.

I will wait until the next patch to see if it fixes the issue. Is there a way I can submit a ticket so the developers are aware of my issue?
Hello
I've searched the forum for issues, but none seem to be directly related.

I am experiencing slowness with PowerDirector 9 when I'm editing movie clips. I did not have this problem with PowerDirector 8. I have updated both my audio and video drivers and PowerDirector 9 is running the latest patch.

My system is Windows 7 x64 Professional. I have 12GB of RAM and a Core i7 920 @2.7GHZ

The system has two drives; the C drive contains windows and the power director software. It is a mirrored array of 2 SSDs. My data drive is 4 WD Black drives in a raid 5. The data drive is where I keep my powerdirector projects and movie clips.

After using the software for 10-15 minues, it starts to become slow. When I click movie files to split, play, cut audio, etc, it gets slower with each iteration of an edit. It runs smooth for the first few edits. After the 4th or 5th edit, it starts dragging. I usually have to save my work at this point. If I continue on, eventually the software will freeze no matter what I click (view clip, split, split audio/video, anything). I then have to force quit the application. I can reload the software, and the same thing happens again. I'm monitoring the proess during all this, and it never goes above 5% utilization. I am not currently monitoring disk read/write. I'm going to do this next.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is anyone aware of any memory leaks with this software?

I'm wondering if it's the x64 version. The recent patch did something to support x64 sandy bridge chips. I think mine may fall into that category.

I appreciate any help you can think of, and please let me know if I need to supply any additional information. I really like using the software, but if I cannot get this fixed, I'm going to have to try something different.

Thanks,
Michael
Go to: