Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Software becomes slow and unusable after 10-15 minutes of editing
Little_Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 24, 2011 20:06 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hello
I've searched the forum for issues, but none seem to be directly related.

I am experiencing slowness with PowerDirector 9 when I'm editing movie clips. I did not have this problem with PowerDirector 8. I have updated both my audio and video drivers and PowerDirector 9 is running the latest patch.

My system is Windows 7 x64 Professional. I have 12GB of RAM and a Core i7 920 @2.7GHZ

The system has two drives; the C drive contains windows and the power director software. It is a mirrored array of 2 SSDs. My data drive is 4 WD Black drives in a raid 5. The data drive is where I keep my powerdirector projects and movie clips.

After using the software for 10-15 minues, it starts to become slow. When I click movie files to split, play, cut audio, etc, it gets slower with each iteration of an edit. It runs smooth for the first few edits. After the 4th or 5th edit, it starts dragging. I usually have to save my work at this point. If I continue on, eventually the software will freeze no matter what I click (view clip, split, split audio/video, anything). I then have to force quit the application. I can reload the software, and the same thing happens again. I'm monitoring the proess during all this, and it never goes above 5% utilization. I am not currently monitoring disk read/write. I'm going to do this next.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is anyone aware of any memory leaks with this software?

I'm wondering if it's the x64 version. The recent patch did something to support x64 sandy bridge chips. I think mine may fall into that category.

I appreciate any help you can think of, and please let me know if I need to supply any additional information. I really like using the software, but if I cannot get this fixed, I'm going to have to try something different.

Thanks,
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2011 20:28

Little_Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update: I uninstalled the software numerous times before, but this time I left out the most recent patch. This has fixed the problem.

I will wait until the next patch to see if it fixes the issue. Is there a way I can submit a ticket so the developers are aware of my issue?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please attach diagnostic file.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
PartB
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
The more you put int he timeline the more you strain your computer. Please give us your Dxdiag so we can see how your computer is actually configured. Normally it is due to too high preview setting, not enough RAM/ VIDEO RAM, or enough disk space left on your hard drive. But without your Dxdiag we can only guess... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
even without seeing your DXdiag file, I have a feeling it is your system disk [mirrored ssd] PD makes lots of temp files on C:, SSD's get fragmented fast, but you can not defrag, you will burn them out. As they try to reuse space "tagged" free, but with data from previous file they have to erase, then write. Mirrored drives just means you write the SAME data to both drives, and the system does not signal write done until both drives finish. SSD do not play well in video editing systems at this time.

I had all kinds of mysterious problems and crashes until i switched out my SSD for a 10K rpm raptor as system drive. Moved the SSD to old laptop and have had almost no problems since. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Little_Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Also,
If you would like me to re-install the patch and then post some diagnostics, I can do that. I have no problem rolling it back once i output the results.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Post your diagnostic as an attachment please. See Part B of the guide.
Little_Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Attached dxdiag

From previous post:

I think the root of the issue has something to do with the latest patch. My system can handle the software, as it has had no problem making hour+ movies up until the recent patch. The SSDs are not used for the movie/edit files, that is all done on WD Black drives.

I can re-install the patch and post another diag file if needed. I just can't pinpoint what happened in the patch that would cause this issue. Right now, I'm in business: i'm editing movies with no slowness. I would like to be able to apply the patch so I have the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the help so far. Any other help is greatly appreciated.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
LITTLE_MICHAEL_DXDIAG
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
265 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 09. 2011 17:34

Little_Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
Has anyone had a chance to look over my DXDIAG and figure out what is going on? I would really like to be able to upgrade to the patch.

Do developers look at this forum, or is there anyway to entere a ticket into their system?