Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Indeed! 2015 their argument was that they cannot implement this cropping feature due to Bluray copyright protection rules etc. Now suddenly it's (luckily) possible. The actual feature isn't rocket sience, free VLC player has it for many many years already.
Nach 3 Jahren tatsächlich ein positives und überraschendes Update zu meinem Thread!

Tatsächlich hat es Cyberlink geschafft, dass PowerDVD 18 nun nativ und perfekt mit 21:9 Monitoren umgeht, den Content bildfülled wiedergibt. Der automatische Crop ist sehr exakt und fehlerfrei, es wird nicht zu viel oder wenig beschnitten.

Jetzt ist mein 21:9 Monitor einfach überragend gut für die Bluray Wiedergabe geeignet ohne wilde Hacks über andere Tools durchführen zu müssen.

Top!

Beispiel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=wyY2IJ1OdfY
When I bought my amazing 21:9 monitor 3 years ago (Acer X34) I was incredibly disappointed by the fact that PowerDVD wasn't able to properly play my Bluray disc on this epic monitor.

Now, 2018, this finally is possible with PowerDVD 18. I tested various Bluray discs and the automatic crop to fully fill the screen is very well done. Nothing is missing / cropped too much, no black bars. Epic movie watching experience - finally.

Find an example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=wyY2IJ1OdfY

So for all 21:9 fans and owners: try PowerDVD 18, no more hacks necessary, it works natively now.
@SRPlus: Thanks so much for posting this!

I too switched 21:9 with my Acer last year and I am extremely disappointed by the fact that this cinema format cannot be utilized with PowerDVD... Copyright restrictions etc. is the argument but hey I bought these 700+ Blurays and so I should be able to watch them on any monitor!

Based on steam hardware survey the 21:9 market share already overtook the 4k resolution one. There is no way around 21:9 resolutions - especially when these devices will be much cheaper in the future.

Luckily there are in-official solutions to make the playback work on 21:9 monitors but this doesn't involve any Cyberlink products but free (0$) products. If these software engineers made it work easily it should be extremely easy for Cyberlink as well. But they argue that they aren't allowed to...

So no revenue for Cyberlink from my side anymore after years of upgrading.
Market share for ultrawide screen is on par with 4k screens. So there is no reason to threat ultrawide different to 4k screens in terms of user experience.

But cyberlink indeed cannot do much about this black bar issue due to BR copyright restrictions. These black bars are encoded into the source material.

So yes: to get the proper experience out of 21:9 screens you need to go the unofficial way.
Hi Hicham,

danke für deine Antwort Leider alles 100% korrekt und in der Tat eine BR copyright restriction.

Bei Einhaltung aller Regeln kann man damit festhalten, dass ein 21:9 Monitor keine gute Wahl für die Wiedergabe von Blurays ist.

Ja PowerDVD spielt sogar sehr gut ab. Daher hatte ich auch jedes Jahr die neuste Version gekauft

Viele Grüße,

FCS
Hi,

seit 4 Wochen bin ich glücklicher Nutzer eines 21:9 Monitors (Acer X34) und war mehr als überrascht, das ich meine Blurays nicht korrekt mit PowerDVD15 Ultra abspielen konnte. Massig schwarze Balken über und neben dem Film.

Nach detaillierter Recherche musste ich feststellen: Die Balken sind im Film und PowerDVD kann / darf diese nicht rausschneiden.

Damit ist PowerDVD15 Ultra für mich nun nutzlos.

Die einzige Lösung für dieses Setup heißt: VLC Player + das Tool welches mit Any... anfängt. Funktioniert perfekt. Unglaublich tolles Erlebnis auf 21:9 zu schauen

Das einzige was VLC tut ist es das Bild zu "croppen" - damit werden alle schwarzen Balken sauber entfernt ohne dass das Bild falsch gestreckt wird.

Der Unterschied zu meinem alten 16:10 Monitor ist riesig! Hat sich also gelohnt. Schade, das PowerDVD hier nichts anbietet - ist schließlich nicht ganz günstig...
I spend quite some time to solve it using my PowerDVD15 Ultra software.

I am using the amazing Acer X34 (21:9) with 3440x1440px.

The simple result is: PowerDVD15 is the wrong choice for this setup.

Removing the black bars (which are part of the BR video) is only possible with VLC player and the famous tool starting with Any...

Even though I understand why this problem exists technically I am somewhat disappointed by PowerDVD as I thought 21:9 isnt too new and niche.

In the end the effort is totally worth it - amazing experience watching my BRs in 21:9!

I hope it becomes more famous at some point...
Thanks a lot for your great work! Very much appreciated

I tried your tool and it doesnt really work for me unfortunately.

3440x1440px 21:9 Acer X34
PowerDVD15

The issue: Doesnt crop vertical black bars.

I ended up with VLC Player and the famous tool which starts with Any.... There I can easily crop out the black bars and the result is perfect.

Even though I understand why this problem exists technically I am somewhat disappointed by PowerDVD as I thought 21:9 isnt too new and niche.

In the end the effort is totally worth it - amazing experience watching my BRs in 21:9!

I hope it becomes more famous at some point...
Go to: