Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 18 freezes at splash screen when launched in windows 11
AlbertC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2022 13:15 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
AFter installing PowerDirector ULTRA on my WIndows 11 and downloaded latest patch from Cyberlink and instatled, still won't launch in Windows 11. It just kept spinning with initial splash screen
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'd try uninstalling PD18, rebooting then try installing it again as an administrator (right click on the installer and choose that option). Then see if it launches correctly. If so, then apply the 3801 patch and see if everything works this time.
AlbertC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'd try uninstalling PD18, rebooting then try installing it again as an administrator (right click on the installer and choose that option). Then see if it launches correctly. If so, then apply the 3801 patch and see if everything works this time.

Thank you for your tips but it does not solve my problem. Hour glass on the splash screen forever. When I click on the splash screen, Wndows popup says "PowerDirector 18 not respondimn". I have to "Close the program".
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

It is likely this is because PowerDirector 18 does not officially support Windows 11. Windows 11 was released last fall, and the last patch update for PowerDirector 18 was in February 2021.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
AlbertC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

It is likely this is because PowerDirector 18 does not officially support Windows 11. Windows 11 was released last fall, and the last patch update for PowerDirector 18 was in February 2021.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I installed PowerDirector 365 Essential version and it works and it is PD21.
Still, I think Cyberlink should fix this problem and not force people to upgrade?
Aaron Cooper [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 11, 2019 12:20 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]

I installed PowerDirector 365 Essential version and it works and it is PD21.
Still, I think Cyberlink should fix this problem and not force people to upgrade?

I just posted a new topic then saw this. I have the exact same issue with 17. Now I have the answer. 17 (and 18) have not been updated to work with Windows 11, and clearly will not be, so we're out of luck. It's funny how you buy a CD or film DVD and you expect to still be able to use it 20 years later but with computer software you're just expected to shrug and buy new even though it's only 3 or 4 years old.
Gila"67" [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2015 08:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
The exact same things happen to me with the last version of windows 10, So does it means- it does not support windows 10 as well- unless it will not be updated?
AlbertC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cyberlink support asked me to take Windows task manager process dump after PD18 hangs.

After a few days, they came back and told me PD18 won't support WIndows 11 and I must buy PD21 to run on Windows 11. That's the end of that.

I have many applications that dated back before Windows 7 that I installed on my WIndows 11 PC and still run.

PD18 is the only one that has this problem but Cyberlink does not want to fix it and blames it on WIndows 11.
I guess older versions of PD are hopeless on WIndows 11.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's a difference between an app actually running on an "unsupported" OS versus tech support offering assistance if anyone encounters issues.

Many people are running older versions of PD with Win11. I have PD13, 14, 17 and 365(21) running on my Win 11 desktop (Win 11 Pro) and have PD17 and 365 on my Surface Book 3 running Win 11 Home.

I haven't experienced compatibility issues with any of them, but that's different from guaranteeing that everyone will be able to get them to work. I should note that hardware encoding isn't available on the oldest two versions, but that was due to changes in nVidia's driver back in 2018 and has nothing to do with Win 11.

Since CL tech support has officially stated that they will not help, you can try the steps shown in this post to see if that will get you up and running.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2022 01:49

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have no problems running PD17 on a fresh install on Windows 11. I do notice that it can be set to a Win 8 compatiblity mode if desired after reading this thread. Many users have told us that PD9, PD10, PD12 works just fine on win 10 while others can't get them to work. Your mileage can vary depending on what you can do with some knowledge or help.

If the splash screen is a problem then why not skip it and go directly to the timeline in the Preference settings.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 07. 2022 01:48

JeffZ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2018 16:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same issue where the system becomes unresponsive when loading the sameple images after the going full mode.
Where is the registry setting to disable the import of sample images?

I know there is a checkbox in Preferences>Project but can't load the software in order to get to that screen.
If there's a way to disable the setting in the registry, I might be able to get PD18 to load on my new Windows 11 laptop.