Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why is color wrong in MOV file I added to project?
Food & Justice [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2022 12:20 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I added an MOV file to a prioject in Power Director 365 for Mac. For some reason, instead of displaying the coors of the added video, in the project it shows up with one color across the entire screen at a time, changing rapidly. I went to Produce and exported the video to an MP4, but this did not fix the problem. I uploaded the MOV file and the completed project to Youtube as unlisted videos to illustrate:

You can see the MOV file as intended here:
https://youtu.be/H9zfYqq3a58

And you can see it in the project with screwed up colors here:
https://youtu.be/zvvFjjkQMY4?t=4699 (at 1:18:19)

Any idea how I can fix this?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Does this discussion help?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Food & Justice -

The problem is obvious (just as you've described), but the cause isn't.

Is there any chance you could upload an unedited MOV file for testing? Aside from the colour shift, there are some odd artefacts displaying in the YT video. Are these in the produced file on your Mac?

Cheers - Tony

Edit: I should have done some digging around to find that post optodata referenced. If that's the issue, forget what I said. embarassed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2022 15:17

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there any chance you could upload an unedited MOV file for testing?

That's a good idea in any case

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2022 16:02

Food & Justice [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Food & Justice -

Is there any chance you could upload an unedited MOV file for testing? Aside from the colour shift, there are some odd artefacts displaying in the YT video. Are these in the produced file on your Mac?

Cheers - Tony

Edit: I should have done some digging around to find that post optodata referenced. If that's the issue, forget what I said. embarassed

I think I found the issue, but I don't know how to fix it. All the other MOV files I added to the project have Color profile: HD (1-1-1). The one giving me trouble has Color profile: BT.2020 HLG (9-18-9).
Food & Justice [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a link to the MOV file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IXSnEgW7szi2IVaBPD71LCrkJAeuIDqs/view?usp=sharing

Quote Hi Food & Justice -

Cheers - Tony

optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the sample clip.

On my Windows machine, everything works normally with this 10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020 HEVC MOV clip. I used PD365 to produce it to 8-bit 4:2:0 BT.709 HEVC .M2TS (which was the recommended setting from the built-in Profile Analyzer tool) and have attached it here.

I expect it'll work as expected when you open and produce it on your Mac. If so, then you'd probably want to set your camera to use 8-bit 4:2:0 for new videos and you'll need to convert all existing clips using a free app like Handbrake or VirtualDub2.

You should also open a support ticket here and provide a link to this forum discussion so they can see everything we've worked through. Ultimately they're the only people that can fix this incompatibility issue.
 Filename
Carol Adams.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
converted clip
 Filesize
54498 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
53 time(s)
Food & Justice [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! That appears to have worked!

Quote Thanks for the sample clip.

On my Windows machine, everything works normally with this 10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020 HEVC MOV clip. I used PD365 to produce it to 8-bit 4:2:0 BT.709 HEVC .M2TS (which was the recommended setting from the built-in Profile Analyzer tool) and have attached it here.

I expect it'll work as expected when you open and produce it on your Mac. If so, then you'd probably want to set your camera to use 8-bit 4:2:0 for new videos and you'll need to convert all existing clips using a free app like Handbrake or VirtualDub2.

You should also open a support ticket here and provide a link to this forum discussion so they can see everything we've worked through. Ultimately they're the only people that can fix this incompatibility issue.