Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 fast video rendering technology disabled
Chris1883 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 23, 2012 21:55 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I know this has gone around before -- I see that in Google searches -- but I haven't found a solution for my copy of PD16.

I've used PD16 for years with little to no problems until recently, when it started crashing at the end of the Produce cycle. When nothing else worked, I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled the software. Now it produces without crashing, but I can't get it to use hardware acceleration. I'm encoding with H.264 AVC.

To be clear, hardware acceleration was available before the crash, but since reinstalling the software, it's gone. When I uninstalled, (If it matters, I answered "yes" to keeping my personal settings at uninstall.)

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, just as it was before, and I have the latest driver.

As before, in PD16, under [Preferences/Hardware Acceleration/Enable Hardware Decoding] is checked. (There is no such setting under Produce).

I've read about fixing the problem in the Registry Editor [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink\CES_FunctionLogger\Data] but all values there are already at 0.

I'm at a loss what to do. I can produce without acceleration, but it takes three to four times as long. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I know this has gone around before -- I see that in Google searches -- but I haven't found a solution for my copy of PD16.

I've used PD16 for years with little to no problems until recently, when it started crashing at the end of the Produce cycle. When nothing else worked, I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled the software. Now it produces without crashing, but I can't get it to use hardware acceleration. I'm encoding with H.264 AVC.

To be clear, hardware acceleration was available before the crash, but since reinstalling the software, it's gone. When I uninstalled, (If it matters, I answered "yes" to keeping my personal settings at uninstall.)

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, just as it was before, and I have the latest driver.

As before, in PD16, under [Preferences/Hardware Acceleration/Enable Hardware Decoding] is checked. (There is no such setting under Produce).

I've read about fixing the problem in the Registry Editor [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink\CES_FunctionLogger\Data] but all values there are already at 0.

I'm at a loss what to do. I can produce without acceleration, but it takes three to four times as long. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

What exact PD16 version do you have currently installed? Click PowerDirector upper right corner.

Jeff
Chris1883 [Avatar]
[Post New]

What exact PD16 version do you have currently installed? Click PowerDirector upper right corner.

Jeff

My apologies -- I should have included that before. My re-installation is the original build, 16.0.2101.0, and I know it's been replaced by updates, but hardware acceleration has always been available in the past, even when PD16 was new and with my previous NVIDIA card.

If there's a newer build that might help, I'll give it a go, but on occasion I've encountered problems with Cyberlink updates. I don't recall what build I was using when the crashing started, but I had build 3424 installed before the uninstall.

Thanks for your help. I'm hopeful for a resolution tomorrow.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My apologies -- I should have included that before. My re-installation is the original build, 16.0.2101.0, and I know it's been replaced by updates, but hardware acceleration has always been available in the past, even when PD16 was new and with my previous NVIDIA card.

If there's a newer build that might help, I'll give it a go, but on occasion I've encountered problems with Cyberlink updates. I don't recall what build I was using when the crashing started, but I had build 3424 installed before the uninstall.

Thanks for your help. I'm hopeful for a resolution tomorrow.

For PD16 versions prior to 3424, you need a Nvidia driver prior to 416.XX. Since you stated you have most recent Nvidia driver, one needs the most recent PD16 release, 3424 to have hardware encoding with the newer Nvidia driver. You can get 3424 here: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

Jeff
Chris1883 [Avatar]
[Post New]

For PD16 versions prior to 3424, you need a Nvidia driver prior to 416.XX. Since you stated you have most recent Nvidia driver, one needs the most recent PD16 release, 3424 to have hardware encoding with the newer Nvidia driver. You can get 3424 here: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

Jeff

And there it is! It's so simple, I don't know why I didn't consider that before.

Unfortunately, now the program is crashing after Produce, whether I go back to the Edit screen or shut it down directly. There's something else afoot.

Thanks for your help though, Jeff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2022 17:10

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe take a look at the two action items in this post and see if one or both of them can stabilize your system.
Chris1883 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Maybe take a look at the two action items in this post and see if one or both of them can stabilize your system.

Thanks, but no luck. I already have the lastest driver for my video card. Since the problem has only recently cropped up I tried a couple of times with drivers from last year, but the program still crashes at the end of production.

I haven't tried setting up another account, but that's a lot of trouble for something that may still crash.

This is not the first time I've had problems with CyberLink software that I've had for a while. If I have a lot of time on my hands, I'll use PD16 without hardware acceleration, assuming that still works. Otherwise, I'm done with PD16, and probably with CyberLink. I don't like subscription software and CyberLink doesn't sell PD lifetime licenses anymore, so I'll be looking for another editor. Life's just too short.

Thanks, though.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
You might try to disable hardware decoding in pref > Hardware Acceleration. Depending on source footage, it could have such effect with PD16. You could also try the sample wmv footage and see if you can transcode that successfully with hardware encoding to your H.264 profile.

CL does still offer a PD20 version that is license based. Kind of a third class purchaser these days (poor update cycle, no suite version,...) but still offered.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can also try submitting a support request directly to Cyberlink. You can reach them here, and make sure you include the requested DxDiag test. You should also include a link to this forum discussion in your problem description so they can see everything that's happened here so far.
Chris1883 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Success, finally. The specific problem still eludes me, but it was least partially rooted in the source mp4 file. I ran it through XMedia Recode to produce a "clean" mp4 with the same specs, and the resulting file worked as a new source. I don't know if this has been the problem with other files in the past, or if uninstalling and reinstalling helped, but PD16 is working now with hardware acceleration, and that's all that matters. Thanks again for your help.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Success, finally. The specific problem still eludes me, but it was least partially rooted in the source mp4 file. I ran it through XMedia Recode to produce a "clean" mp4 with the same specs, and the resulting file worked as a new source. I don't know if this has been the problem with other files in the past, or if uninstalling and reinstalling helped, but PD16 is working now with hardware acceleration, and that's all that matters. Thanks again for your help.

Reencoding to traditional parameters often corrects issues that PD producing encounters. This is particularly the case with highly variable fps files which are becoming more common. I'd assume your XMedia Recode process was probably what corrected your final issue vs PD reinstallation.

Jeff