Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector as a Microsoft App
UlfHolt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2022 03:22 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I see that Microsoft is offering PowerDicectory as an App, and I wonder if anyone has tried this solution. I do not want to purchase a product that is a subset of what you get directly from Cyberlink, but if I understand the information from Microsoft correct, the app can be installed on multiple systems, and I have 3 different locations, though I will never use the software on more than one location at the time, since they are far apart. If I purcahse PowerDirectory 20 Ultimate from Cyberlink, I can only use it on two systems, and I cannot see there are any options to remove a license from on system and add it on another.

Best regards

Ulf H.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I see that Microsoft is offering PowerDicectory as an App, and I wonder if anyone has tried this solution. I do not want to purchase a product that is a subset of what you get directly from Cyberlink, but if I understand the information from Microsoft correct, the app can be installed on multiple systems, and I have 3 different locations, though I will never use the software on more than one location at the time, since they are far apart. If I purcahse PowerDirectory 20 Ultimate from Cyberlink, I can only use it on two systems, and I cannot see there are any options to remove a license from on system and add it on another.

Best regards

Ulf H.

Been discussed prior like, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/79366.page#post_box_326196

Appears to have some of the same pros and cons.
1) Patches from CL are not valid
2) Release date of 11/25/2021 for Ultimate makes it really unclear what exact rev you are getting. PD20 original release was 9/2021. First patch was 1/13/2022 so something prior to that maybe. Different release date noted for Ultra, 11/10/2021 adds to uncertainty.
3) Does still indicate install on up to ten Windows 10 devices
4) No concrete list of what you actually get.
5) No real update path for proper patches, product with ~11/2021 release date at least 2 releases of bug fixes behind, 1/13/2022 and 2/23/2022

PD20 Ultimate from CL is only offered as a single device perpetual license.

Jeff
UlfHolt [Avatar]
[Post New]

Been discussed prior like, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/79366.page#post_box_326196

Appears to have some of the same pros and cons.
1) Patches from CL are not valid
2) Release date of 11/25/2021 for Ultimate makes it really unclear what exact rev you are getting. PD20 original release was 9/2021. First patch was 1/13/2022 so something prior to that maybe. Different release date noted for Ultra, 11/10/2021 adds to uncertainty.
3) Does still indicate install on up to ten Windows 10 devices
4) No concrete list of what you actually get.
5) No real update path for proper patches, product with ~11/2021 release date at least 2 releases of bug fixes behind, 1/13/2022 and 2/23/2022

PD20 Ultimate from CL is only offered as a single device perpetual license.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. That answered my question. I will NOT go for an unclear solution and miss the updates from CL. The reason for me asking the question, which you have given me valuable information about, was that I did not find any information from Microsoft on what this deal really was.

Best regards

Ulf
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... I have 3 different locations, though I will never use the software on more than one location at the time, since they are far apart. If I purcahse PowerDirectory 20 Ultimate from Cyberlink, I can only use it on two systems, and I cannot see there are any options to remove a license from on system and add it on another.

Lifetime licensed versions (like PD20) purchased from CL can only be installed on a single computer, while you can install the subscription version (PD365) on more than one, provided that you only use one at a time and that you own all computers in question. I think that would suit your needs.

The license will actively be transferred/activated each time you run PD on a new device and you'll need internet connectivity each time. However you don't need to remain connected to edit and you'll only need to connect once per month to verify the subscription if you don't change machines.
UlfHolt [Avatar]
[Post New]

Lifetime licensed versions (like PD20) purchased from CL can only be installed on a single computer, while you can install the subscription version (PD365) on more than one, provided that you only use one at a time and that you own all computers in question. I think that would suit your needs.

The license will actively be transferred/activated each time you run PD on a new device and you'll need internet connectivity each time. However you don't need to remain connected to edit and you'll only need to connect once per month to verify the subscription if you don't change machines.

I have purchased the Ultra version of PD20, and I got 2 licenses, so I recon the same will be the case with the Ultimate version. I can survive with that, since I have one PC I do not use very often, though I would, off course, prefer to use it on all 3.

If I am right, the 365 vesion is not on the same version as 20. I have canceled my license, and have to decide if I should go for 365 or 20 Ultimate. I tried the 365 version, and I could not open projects I have made in the 20 version. Not sure if it matters, since the 365 hopefully will be upgraded sooner or later, but I have put some effort in a project I am working on, and have to start all over again if I go for the 365 version.

Best regards

Ulf
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds like you might have used the trial version. PD365 is based on PD20 but it's actually several updates ahead and it should be able to open any project made with any version of PD. You can purchase a subscription to PD365 and get a link to download and install the App Manager. Then you can install the full PD365 version which should allow you to open the existing project.

If you aren't happy with PD365 you can cancel that license (as you did with PD20 Ultra) within 30 days and recieve a full refund. Afterwards, you should be able to open the 365 project in PD20 Ultimate, although some features won't be available. See this chart for specifics.