Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Source Error on Producing AVCHD Video
Aeropars [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2010 15:33 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
HI Guys,

I'm normally a Videostudio user but I've given up with that having had problems with rendering problems... seems I might have the same here.

Power director seems far superiour from the full demo i'm using and I decided the proof of the putting would be in recreated my problem project which caused the videostudio dump!

So my project contains hd avchd files, MP3's, smartsound quicktracks, an itunes downloaded track (mp4?) and images. I also played around on some scenes with the fix and enhance tools.

Anyhow, i get the attached error when rendering. Can anyone tell me whats going on? My PC is a 3ghz quad core, 4 gb ram, windows vista, 1 internal SATA HDD and one external USB HDD (this has the clips on although i am rendering to the internal hdd)

Does anyone have any ideas? Im desperate to get something that will reliably render AVCHD from my Panasonic SD9 so if this can be sorted i'll be puying straight away!
[Thumb - error.jpg]
 Filename
error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
221 time(s)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lee,

Does this post shed any light on things ?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9114.page

Have a look at these if you haven't already.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=search&action=search&clean=1&search_keywords=media+source+error&search_terms=all&search_forum=55&sort_by=time&sort_dir=DESC&search_cat=

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
A bit more information. I installed the latest build and now, instead of that error I posted, when it gets to the same bit i get a runtime error (path to the exe) abnormal program termination.

The event log shows 2 entries:

The program PDR8.exe version 8.0.0.2220 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 9c0 Start Time: 01ca92333da16bb1 Termination Time: 65

Faulting application PDR8.exe, version 8.0.0.2220, time stamp 0x4add6b2d, faulting module vp6vfw.dll, version 6.0.6.4, time stamp 0x3f7c8caf, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00001013, process id 0x1e64, application start time 0x01ca923bba484dc1.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the reply. I have read that thread but I cant see anything in there which would help, apart from testing each file. I can confirm that every file will play correctly as i have played each file for editing on this same computer.

I followed some tips like removing the shadow files but that didnt make any difference.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Me again

I've removed a clip which it seemed to crash on and then did the render again. This time I get a 'not enough system memory' error.

I always run rask manager when rendering and the physical memory never gets over 2.5gb even though i have 4gb in there.
The values in task manager show that i have about 7mb free during the render although the graph above doesnt suggest that im running out.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Just some generic stuff to check.

-You have lots of free harddisk space?
-You have defragged your drive in the last week?
-You've run the Disk Cleanup Wizard and cleaned up unecessary stuff?
-You have the latest video drivers installed? (plus CUDA or AVIVO depending on your video card brand)
-You've tried rendering to a different format, such as Mpeg2?
-Vista service Pack 2 is installed?
-Shadow File rendering is disabled?
-Shadow file folder has been cleaned out?
-Try disabling virus scanner from Powerdirector folders?
Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
HI, in response to your questions:

-You have lots of free harddisk space? 82GB free
-You have defragged your drive in the last week? No, however upon checking its 2% fragmented
-You've run the Disk Cleanup Wizard and cleaned up unecessary stuff? I use CCleaner to do this and yes, it has been run
-You have the latest video drivers installed? (plus CUDA or AVIVO depending on your video card brand) I installed the latest Nvidia forceware the other day to try and fix issues with Video Studio. CUDA is enabled in PD
-You've tried rendering to a different format, such as Mpeg2? Not yet. I'll give this a go.
-Vista service Pack 2 is installed? Yes
-Shadow File rendering is disabled? Yes
-Shadow file folder has been cleaned out? No - Where isd this?
-Try disabling virus scanner from Powerdirector folders? AVG free is disdabled while rendering.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lee -

On mine (Win7) it's at C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\8.0\ShadowEditFiles

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply Tony.

I'll get rid of the files tonight. Is this likely to be the problem though? I cant help but feel these are unlikely faults, especially given the problems I had with VideoStudio.

As a side note, is it worth the upgrade to windows 7 as far as resource availability for PowerDirector goes? I work in IT so know its better in lots of ways in comparison to vista but if it offers better performance than vista i may well upgrade.

At the end of the day i just want something which will faultlessly edit my AVCHD footage and it seems that is hard to come by, even though my machine is of a good spec.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
also, I've logged this with support but as i'm using a trial version are they likely to get back to me? This problem defines whether they get my money or not really.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
As a side note, is it worth the upgrade to windows 7 as far as resource availability for PowerDirector goes? I work in IT so know its better in lots of ways in comparison to vista but if it offers better performance than vista i may well upgrade.

PowerDirector is a 32-bit app at this time. As such, it can only grab a limited amount of memory from the 32-bit OS. Moving to 64-bit win7 doesn't change that limitation until Cyberlink releases a 64-bit compiled version.

That said, many of us are on Win7 with great results. I can record two HD shows in windows media center while simultaneously rendering AVCHD with preview turned on and still surf the web and have reasonable system responsiveness and stability. That was not possible on Vista 32.

Regarding video: The CUDA software download is separate from the driver download. You need them both. The checkbox in PD means 'if possible' but if CUDA isn't installed or an old version it could cause problems.

Defragmenting sounds silly, but it has helped a number of people in the past. Theres a lot of I/O going on and the less the hard disk has to chase around the better. Along these lines, you know USB drives are terribly slow, especially writing. We've enouraged people in the past to steer away from USB drives except for raw storage. eSATA is a superior solution to USB I/O bottleneck.

I'll wait to see the results of the Mpeg2 encode to see if that works.

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks.

Does the PD software allow relinking of video files? I'll get them all moved to the C drive if it can be done.

I'll also download the CUDA drivers (didnt realise it was an additional download)

When you said about the MPeg2 file, did you mean a standard DVD quality file or HD file? I started the encode to a DVD file and am about to leave for home so i'll let you know the result later on this evening.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi All,

The Mpeg2 HQ setting rendered the project fine.

Any thoughts?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
The Mpeg2 HQ setting rendered the project fine.
Any thoughts?

Hi Lee -

Glad to hear you got it rendered.

My only thought is "What are you going to do with it?" If it's being burnt to DVD, the mpeg2 DVD HQ profile is fine. If you're planning something better, there are better options.

Cheers - Tony
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Unfortunatley my required output is back to an AVCHD compatable file. I will be burning the files (after using a program called multiavchd) to a standard DVD which is then playable on the PS3 and most blueray players. This gives me about an hours worth of HD video on a standard DVD.

The Mpeg2 was really only a test to see where the problem was, on recommendation from OnTheWeb.

Referring to the download of CUDA, I'm already using Forceware 195.62 which has CUDA support so is that all I need? If I download drivers form the Nvidia CUDA Zone it offers me version 190.38.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Lee -

I hadn't heard of that software - looks OK for freeware at first glance. In PD, you can create an AVCHD DVD in the same way (ie. to play on a PS3 or Blu-ray player)... so I'm not really sure why you need multiAVCHD. The menu options look good, but that's up to you.

My GPU is NVIDIA GTX260, but no Forceware. Maybe it's a Vista/XP thing. I'll let someone more technically minded help you with that.

What's your system and graphics card, Lee?

Cheers - Tony

Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello again!

I didnt realise that Powerdirector could do the same thing but thats a good thing to know, however the render problem is still the problem I need to get resolved.

I'm running a 3ghz Intel core 2 Quad core processor with 4gb RAM and a Geforce 8800GT graphics card. Forceware is pretty much the drivers. Its comprises all the drivers and software for most Nvidia cards.

I've moved all files onto the local hard drive (not the USB one) and rendered again in AVCHD format. It failed again but this time, instead of memory errors I got the origional Media Source Error.

Any further ideas? Or am I doomed?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Lee -

I don't know if this will help http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9163.page

Possibly, the 82GB of free space might be causing problems. I really can't see any other issue, now that your source files are on the same drive.

Cheers - Tony
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
I removed the shadow files and I'm now at 92gb. I monitor the hard drive space during a render and it never gets touched. The render crashes 4 minutes in so the file size is'nt much at all. I can play the partially rendered file and it seems to stop at transitions or scenes which have used the enhance or fix tools.
ynotfish
[Post New]
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html

Look under Hard Disc Space.

I don't know if that's the problem but, if it was me, I'd being having a clean up!

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2010 17:08