Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burned bluray does not play anywhere
Tomlays [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2021 19:21 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.

I have bought Cyberlink PowerDirector 20 Ultimate in order to burn 100gb blurays.

I have edited my videos and produced the bluray. I had no other option than BDMA (with menu) when I selected the 100gb bluray. I have selected MPEG-2 for my codec. The other choice available was H.264.

I have also created a file just in case I would like to have access to the files in the future.

At the very end, it said that my bluray was burned succesfully. My bluray burner has the capacity to burn triple layer 100gb blurays. The bluray was about 65gb at the end of the process.

But when I tried to read it on my bluray player, it did not recognize the disc. So I tried another bd-player and it was the same. I was able in the past to read a 25gb burned bluray with one of the players but this time, I could not read this bluray.

Even the VCL media player on my computer cannot play the bluray right. However, I do have access to the files on the bluray and I can play files with the VCL media player but I do not have access to the bluray menu in order to select chapters, etc. I can play the file on which the menu is but I can't select anything, it just like an image.

The files are named AVCHD (.m2ts). When I open the bluray or the folder, there are two folders named BDMV and Certificate. I was surprised to see BDMV when the PowerDirector software was only giving me the option of BDMA with menu. Perharps there are certain things I do not understand.

I am currently trying to take the main file on which the 7 hours video is and am editing it with a different video editor software in order to produce a 50gb bluray (that's the limit of the other software). I was able in the past to play the blurays that I burned with this software. But since I paid to upgrade with video editing software in order to burn 100gb blurays, I would like it to work.

Can someone help me? Would the H.264 codec be of any benefit? Is there a way to burn 100GB blurays and watch them with a bluray player on my TV? Thanks for any good advice.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Are you able to burn 25 gig BluRays successfully? How about 50 gig?

100 gig BluRays aren't typically used to created playable discs. So that would be the first factor I'd look into.
Tomlays [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Are you able to burn 25 gig BluRays successfully? How about 50 gig?

100 gig BluRays aren't typically used to created playable discs. So that would be the first factor I'd look into.

I did not try to burn 25gb blurays with PowerDirector yet because I don't have those discs on hand right now but I have been able to burn some using another software in the past with my bluray burner.

I tried to produce a 50gb bluray using another software and burn it on a 100gb bd-re but it didn't work. It seems like I have a hard time earasing my 100gb discs even if they are bd-re.

I am currently trying to burn the 50gb file I produced on a brand new 100gb bd-re right now. I hope it works.

I am wondering what the problem is. I could suspect that my discs are bad quality but I was still able to rightfully burn a 100gb bd-re yesterday using PowerProducer. But like I said in my previous message, even if the files were on the bluray, none of my bd-players were able to read it.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote But like I said in my previous message, even if the files were on the bluray, none of my bd-players were able to read it.

What is the model of your player? Depending on which market you are in, very few standalone players have BDXL playback capability. Have you verified the playback specs of your player?

Jeff
Tomlays [Avatar]
[Post New]

What is the model of your player? Depending on which market you are in, very few standalone players have BDXL playback capability. Have you verified the playback specs of your player?

Jeff

No, I did not check if my player would allow me to read BDXL but even my VLC Media Player on my computer had problems reading my fully burned 100gb bd-re. I was able to read the files but could not access the bluray menu.

As for my home blu-ray players, I have a Panasonic DP-UB9000 (4k), a PS5 and a Samsung BD-J5100. None of those players could read the disc. My Samsung BD-J5100 was able to read my old 25gb blurays I burned with another software but not my Panasonic.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote No, I did not check if my player would allow me to read BDXL but even my VLC Media Player on my computer had problems reading my fully burned 100gb bd-re. I was able to read the files but could not access the bluray menu.

As for my home blu-ray players, I have a Panasonic DP-UB9000 (4k), a PS5 and a Samsung BD-J5100. None of those players could read the disc. My Samsung BD-J5100 was able to read my old 25gb blurays I burned with another software but not my Panasonic.

Based on the manuals, none of these players list support for playback of BDXL disc's. Keep in mind the XL discs are unique and have a totally different write per layer and density so it needs compatible hardware. It's not really a simple extension of 25/50GB discs.

Concerning VLC, I don't have any BDXL disc's right now but it does play the menu correctly on a 100GB "Create Disc" folder created with PD20. So with a supported BDXL burner on a PC to have the proper layer read capability, I'm not sure why the VLC playback issue of your disc.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD20_VLC_100GB.png]
 Filename
PD20_VLC_100GB.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2280 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Tomlays - Your BD burner may have come with PowerDVD. Give it a try. It plays all the optical disc types that I created in the past. Don’t have a BDXL disc to try. VLC won’t play an AVCHD 2.0 Disc.
Tomlays [Avatar]
[Post New]

Based on the manuals, none of these players list support for playback of BDXL disc's. Keep in mind the XL discs are unique and have a totally different write per layer and density so it needs compatible hardware. It's not really a simple extension of 25/50GB discs.

Concerning VLC, I don't have any BDXL disc's right now but it does play the menu correctly on a 100GB "Create Disc" folder created with PD20. So with a supported BDXL burner on a PC to have the proper layer read capability, I'm not sure why the VLC playback issue of your disc.

Jeff

When I burned my 100GB disc, I also created a folder of my video. I can play with VLC but there is no menu. If I click to advance a chapter, it changes file and the menu appears but as a short video of a few seconds and I can't click on anything. Then, the next file plays and it is the first chapter page and so on. But again, I can't click on anything, it's just showing the page and reading like it's a short video.

So, I can watch the seven hour long video I created using the VLC player without menu and without chapters. I have to advance manually the video using the arrow and clicking on the timeline at the bottom of the player.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote When I burned my 100GB disc, I also created a folder of my video. I can play with VLC but there is no menu. If I click to advance a chapter, it changes file and the menu appears but as a short video of a few seconds and I can't click on anything. Then, the next file plays and it is the first chapter page and so on. But again, I can't click on anything, it's just showing the page and reading like it's a short video.

So, I can watch the seven hour long video I created using the VLC player without menu and without chapters. I have to advance manually the video using the arrow and clicking on the timeline at the bottom of the player.

The menu not showing and your description sounds like user error, any chance you are trying to use "Open Folder" for the playback? See if this post directions help: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44327.page#post_box_229536

Jeff
Tomlays [Avatar]
[Post New]

The menu not showing and your description sounds like user error, any chance you are trying to use "Open Folder" for the playback? See if this post directions help: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44327.page#post_box_229536

Jeff

Yes. I am using "Open Folder" for the playback because this is what I am trying to read. VLC is scanning all the files and plays the video from the start without menu. I do not know how to set my VLC player to open the folder and read it like it's a bluray disc and get the menu option with chapters.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Yes. I am using "Open Folder" for the playback because this is what I am trying to read. VLC is scanning all the files and plays the video from the start without menu. I do not know how to set my VLC player to open the folder and read it like it's a bluray disc and get the menu option with chapters.

The approached was highlighted in the post I linked. For a step by step:

1) Launch VLC
2) Use "Open Disc..." from the Media menu (Ctrl D for shortcut)
3) Select "Blu-ray", make sure "No disc menus" is not selected
4) Click "Browse..." migrate to the top level folder of your playback item on your hard drive, by default called "My Video" from the PD Create Disc process, highlight the folder and then click "Select Folder"
5) Click "Play"

The above should play the menu of a properly constructed folder and allow you to select the "Chapters" in the menu with the mouse.

Jeff
Tomlays [Avatar]
[Post New]

The approached was highlighted in the post I linked. For a step by step:

1) Launch VLC
2) Use "Open Disc..." from the Media menu (Ctrl D for shortcut)
3) Select "Blu-ray", make sure "No disc menus" is not selected
4) Click "Browse..." migrate to the top level folder of your playback item on your hard drive, by default called "My Video" from the PD Create Disc process, highlight the folder and then click "Select Folder"
5) Click "Play"

The above should play the menu of a properly constructed folder and allow you to select the "Chapters" in the menu with the mouse.

Jeff

All right! Yes it worked.

So, I have the certainty that my folder does not have any errors and is well constructed.

Now, I do not know how I could watch it on my television from there since my bluray players seem to not be able to read BDXL. Is there any other way to read this kind of file without a bluray player capable of reading BDXL or the only option would be to buy a new bluray player?
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote All right! Yes it worked.

So, I have the certainty that my folder does not have any errors and is well constructed.

Now, I do not know how I could watch it on my television from there since my bluray players seem to not be able to read BDXL. Is there any other way to read this kind of file without a bluray player capable of reading BDXL or the only option would be to buy a new bluray player?

As mentioned prior, you need a compatible player that was designed for BDXL discs to play back. You could connect an HDMI cable from a computer with appropriate BDXL drive to the TV, or consider one of several media streaming options between computer and TV.

If you want a disc media as such, I personally would simply consider two 50GB BD's to make like easy and compatible with many standalone playback options vs your 100GB BDXL avenue. 50GB discs are much cheaper than 100GB XL discs too.

Jeff
Tomlays [Avatar]
[Post New]

As mentioned prior, you need a compatible player that was designed for BDXL discs to play back. You could connect an HDMI cable from a computer with appropriate BDXL drive to the TV, or consider one of several media streaming options between computer and TV.

If you want a disc media as such, I personally would simply consider two 50GB BD's to make like easy and compatible with many standalone playback options vs your 100GB BDXL avenue. 50GB discs are much cheaper than 100GB XL discs too.

Jeff

Thanks a lot for all your help. That's appreciated.

What are the best options for media streaming from the computer to the TV? My main computer is on the second floor of my house and my TVs are one and two floors below.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What are the best options for media streaming from the computer to the TV? My main computer is on the second floor of my house and my TVs are one and two floors below.

Not really a PD type question so you probably need to do your own research or discuss on other appropriate forms or PDM will lock this thread. Solution also very unique to individuals desired needs and home TV, wireless, type situation.

You might start your search with “VLC on FireTV”, “Wireless Video HDMI”, or “casting a Windows 10 desktop to a smart TV” for starters.

Jeff
Tomlays [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not really a PD type question so you probably need to do your own research or discuss on other appropriate forms or PDM will lock this thread. Solution also very unique to individuals desired needs and home TV, wireless, type situation.

You might start your search with “VLC on FireTV”, “Wireless Video HDMI”, or “casting a Windows 10 desktop to a smart TV” for starters.

Jeff

Understood.

I'll look into that. Thank you for everything.