Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Players that can play movies with menus
CV27 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 13, 2011 13:51 Messages: 77 Offline
[Post New]
I 'created to folder' a movie with menus. I can see in the resulting work the typical directories for a BD. I'm looking for a PC based player that can play that movie and recognize the menu structure, essentially simulating the interaction of playing a real BD.

I thought it would be an easy google session to find out, but no.

Any suggestions? I7-4770, 3.40Ghz, 16GB RAM, Asus Z87-Plus Z87chipset, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7850 PCI Express-16 3.0 2GB, Samsung EVO 840 SSD 1TB
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I suggest free VLC player may work, but I think the best is Cyberlink PowerDVD, I have version 15 and it's amazing software. I believe there is a trial version. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
CV27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I suggest free VLC player may work, but I think the best is Cyberlink PowerDVD, I have version 15 and it's amazing software. I believe there is a trial version.

Hi Barry,

When I point VLC to the BDMV folder, it seems to scan the directories to assemble the movie profile, then plays the movie from the start. In the VLC menu, I can specify a particulat chapter, but VLC ends up on a different chapter than the one I wanted. Bottom line, it doesn't start by displaying the menu.

On the other hand, PowerDVD (15) manages it all very well. So, thanks for the heads up. I'm just surprised at the low number of players that can deal with BD/DVD menus from a folder. The other shocker is the (even discounted) price for PowerDVD-15: I would end up paying more for it than what I paid for PD13 Ultimate.

Bonus question - My ultimate goal is to be able to stream my movie from server to media client and be able to view it as if I inserted a BD in a physical player, thus having the ability to see a menu to navigate.

Have you, or anybody else, experimented with the possibilties in this arena? I7-4770, 3.40Ghz, 16GB RAM, Asus Z87-Plus Z87chipset, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7850 PCI Express-16 3.0 2GB, Samsung EVO 840 SSD 1TB
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried a virtual CD drive? I have never used the one I have installed and it may not meet you needs, but might be worth a try. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I point VLC to the BDMV folder, it seems to scan the directories to assemble the movie profile, then plays the movie from the start. In the VLC menu, I can specify a particulat chapter, but VLC ends up on a different chapter than the one I wanted. Bottom line, it doesn't start by displaying the menu.

Use "Open Disc..." instead and point to PD13 created video folder and select menu toggle accordingly. Menu playback works fine for me.

Many other good free playback utilities out there that have full menu support, DVD and BD, folders and ISO's. Google your friend, since they are in CL toolspace for me it's not appropriate to mention any names.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi CV27 -

If PowerDVD isn't an option for you, when you're using VLC all you need to do is select the appropriate option. As Jeff said, "Open Disc" if the disc is in the drive. "Open Folder" if the video with menu has been burnt to a folder on your PC. Menu and disc functions operate the same in both.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
CV27, try as I suggested in the previous post. Use the "Open Disc..." feature and then browse to the BD/DVD folder "My Video" that you had created in PD13, no Disc created or used. Set a couple of the menu toggle options presented accordingly. Playback with the menu should be just fine.

The "Open Folder..." serves a different purpose and would have the improper playback effect as you had noted..

Jeff
CV27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks all for the input.

Side comment

Finally figured that you need to point VLC to the directory that contains both the BDMV and CERTIFICATE subs, not only the BDMV.

No further ahead though: It may be my video, but VLC starts off ok but struggles with the buttons. As I said before, PowerDVD works fine, so you get what you pay for.

Main course

My ultimate goal is to be able to stream my movie from server to media client and be able to view it as if I inserted a BD in a physical player, thus having the ability to see a menu to navigate. I know this is a wide question, but how can I make this work?

I realize that the stream server logic must accomodate sending both the movie and the menu structure, then the client also needs to be able to manage movie + menu. Can this be done, and if so, what parts are needed? I7-4770, 3.40Ghz, 16GB RAM, Asus Z87-Plus Z87chipset, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7850 PCI Express-16 3.0 2GB, Samsung EVO 840 SSD 1TB
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Whoops! embarassed My apologies for the bum steer.

I'd only tested a DVD folder, which behaves as I described, and (incorrectly) assumed a BD folder would do the same. It doesn't.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!