Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD6 will not load project
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 07, 2009 15:27 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
This morning I came to work on my project. I loaded the main project to review where I had left off the day before, closed that project and opened a secondary project.

That was all good, then I went back to my main project (the movie I am making) and it would not load.

The "Project" box appears and nothing else happens. After several attempts, I uninstalled and reinstalled the program (PD6 disk with registration number on the cover) on my Dell D810 laptop with 500gig external hard drive for the work files.

The same problem persists.

Where do I go from here?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Charles

Try this http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

I had PD6, now onto PD8 also check out the tutorials on Youtube relating to file allocation and how to store files used in projects.

Good luck Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Charles,

Need more info to help.

Can you say exactly what you mean by "it won't load"?

I presume PD, the program, loads but what then? Are there any error messages or dialogue boxes?

It is not unusual for the addressing of external drives to change - PD hard codes the file locations in the .pds file and therefore anything that changes that file location will cause PD to "lose track" of the files. Normally, there is a dialogue box asking you to ignore, browse etc if this has happened, if you choose ignore, the timeline will be filled with blank clips.

If you can post more precise details it will be easier to check out.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2009 06:35

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Charles,

Need more info to help.

Can you say exactly what you mean by "it won't load"?

I presume PD, the program, loads but what then? Are there any error messages or dialogue boxes?

It is not unusual for the addressing of external drives to change - PD hard codes the file locations in the .pds file and therefore anything that changes that file location will cause PD to "lose track" of the files. Normally, there is a dialogue box asking you to ignore, browse etc if this has happened, if you choose ignore, the timeline will be filled with blank clips.

If you can post more precise details it will be easier to check out.

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian,

It has been a couple of days since I posted the problem. I didn't see a response and had to move on. I have since scrapped that project file, restructured all of my files into shorted paths for PD6 to find and broke down the length of the file into various segments to be compiled back together at a later date. But, I would like a hint at what happened in case it happens again.

The problem was not a change in directories. I bought an external hard drive specifically for this purpose and had it set up correctly.

I had two different problems. The first was that one minute I had ...say file number 9. For three days file number 9 was loaded into the project and played correctly. One morning that file was gone..just a black hole where it was. No directory change, no extension change...no change at all. Over the course of two more days, two more files dissapeared.

I had all of the individual image and video files backed up on another external hard drive as well. So I went to that drive to grab them and they would not load from that source as well. Really weird!

In all three cases, they were videos files downloaded from the internet. I dont' know, but maybe they were bootlegged videos stolen from Getty or some other source and had a time stamp in them. I really don't know and gave up trying to figure that out.

The biggest problem; however, is that the project stopped loading into PD6. PD6 opened and functioned correctly and opened other files correctly, but not the main show file.

Here are the details. PD6 is open and I click on "OPEN PROJECT" and pick the project to work on. Normally, a dialog box opens with says "PROJECT: and the individual files are loaded into the program. Once loaded, you can work on the edit or whatever.

In this case the "PROJECT" dialog box opens and nothing else happens and like I mentioned above, I had this particular project file backed up on another drive. Neither would load. All other projects would load.

I hope this is enough info. Thanks for your thoughts.

Charles
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Charles,

After you click on Open Project, do you then click on the last saved .pds file for the particular project you want to work on?
I ask because I have never opened a project using your method.
I just (in Windows), go to the folder where my .pds files and assets are stored, and double click on my sequentially numbered last saved .pds, and PowerDirector opens and loads the project.

For what it’s worth, here is a link to a detailed description of my particular work flow and project management, if you are bored enough right now to read it. Since employing this method, I have not lost a single project or asset.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7417.page#29959

Perhaps this is indeed the same way that you are managing your projects. Except that you first open PD, and then load your projects by using the Open Project icon to locate your last saved .pds.
But as Adrian eluded to, the only thing that would cause PD to lose a project or it’s assets, is if they have been moved or altered in such a manner that PD’s .pds file (road map) can’t find them.

However, as you’ve stated that you haven’t made “any” changes (are you sure?), then I am stumped as why PD isn’t functioning properly, or what is causing the malfunction.
I suppose you could do the standard PD uninstall/reinstall, to see if that would correct it. But if it were me, I’d make absolutely sure that I’m not inadvertently moving or altering project files and folders, before going through the uninstall/reinstall.

I hope you get it sorted out.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 04. 2009 15:52

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Charles,

After you click on Open Project, do you then click on the last saved .pds file for the particular project you want to work on?
I ask because I have never opened a project using your method.
I just (in Windows), go to the folder where my .pds files and assets are stored, and double click on my sequentially numbered last saved .pds, and PowerDirector opens and loads the project.

For what it’s worth, here is a link to a detailed description of my particular work flow and project management, if you are bored enough right now to read it. Since employing this method, I have not lost a single project or asset.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7417.page#29959

Perhaps this is indeed the same way that you are managing your projects. Except that you first open PD, and then load your projects by using the Open Project icon to locate your last saved .pds.
But as Adrian eluded to, the only thing that would cause PD to lose a project or it’s assets, is if they have been moved or altered in such a manner that PD’s .pds file (road map) can’t find them.

However, as you’ve stated that you haven’t made “any” changes (are you sure?), then I am stumped as why PD isn’t functioning properly, or what is causing the malfunction.
I suppose you could do the standard PD uninstall/reinstall, to see if that would correct it. But if it were me, I’d make absolutely sure that I’m not inadvertently moving or altering project files and folders, before going through the uninstall/reinstall.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Cranston,

I absolutely did not move any file nor folder. In fact, I had the project open, worked on it, closed it, went to bed, opened it up the next morning, made a change or two, closed it and it never would open again in either drive. That is what was so strange.

But, it is mute now because I moved my project to a Mac Pro with Adobe Premier and changed the workflow as I stated in my previous post.

I guess the point of the post was just to put it out there and see if others had similar situations come up. It doesn't look like it; so be it. I am just to gun shy to put all that time into it and have it happen again.

Thanks for your workflow doc. I will read it tonight.

Charles
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Charles

This happened to me in PD6 & PD7. The project was there one day and wouldn't load the next.

I contacted CS but to no avai.

I don't know why it happens BUT this is what I did & it has never happened again.

1. Any major changes of files added to the project do a 'save as' version 1 or use V1 after the fe name. One of my projects was up to V12 once.

2. Go to your destination folder & delete the 'bak' files. These tend to clog up your project

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2009 20:33

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Charles

This happened to me in PD6 & PD7. The project was there one day and wouldn't load the next.

I contacted CS but to no avai.

I don't know why it happens BUT this is what I did & it has never happened again.

1. Any major changes of files added to the project do a 'save as' version 1 or use V1 after the fe name. One of my projects was up to V12 once.

2. Go to your destination folder & delete the 'bak' files. These tend to clog up your project

Cubby House,

Ah-ha someone else in the Universe--I suspected that was the case. Your suggestion is to do a Save As rather than Save. Had I been documenting it in this manner, I would have probably be at V120!!! after a couple of days.

That is a good idea, thanks.

ANY OTHER IDEAS OR SIMILAR SITUATIONS FOR ANYONE ELSE??????

Charles
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Charles,
In my humble opinion, if over the course of buliding a production, one only uses Save, and doesn't do a sequentially numbered Save As, then you are putting all your hopes, dreams, work, an eggs in one basket.
One big old pds basket. And should anything go wrong with that basket, you're screwed.

But if you use Save As to create a series of saved pds files at frequent points in one's project build (as CHF suggested and is common practice for most editors here on the forum), then you always have the previously saved pds to fall back on, if something goes wrong with the most recent pds. Then once the project is complete and you have Packed it, you simply delete all the previous sequentially numbered pds files, as they are no longer needed.

But, if your one and only pds save, that represents days of work, goes bad, then your done and will have to start over from scratch. Esspecially if you don't have .bak file that "might" restore it.
It's all kinda like those those trapeze guys. They have that net below them for good reason.

CubbyHouseFilms,
So... is V143 too many?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 05. 2009 01:02

CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Charles,
In my humble opinion, if over the course of buliding a production, one only uses Save, and doesn't do a sequentially numbered Save As, then you are putting all your hopes, dreams, work, an eggs in one basket.
One big old pds basket. And should anything go wrong with that basket, you're screwed.

But if you use Save As to create a series of saved pds files at frequent points in one's project build (as CHF suggested and is common practice for most editors here on the forum), then you always have the previously saved pds to fall back on, if something goes wrong with the most recent pds. Then once the project is complete and you have Packed it, you simply delete all the previous sequentially numbered pds files, as they are no longer needed.

But, if your one and only pds save, that represents days of work, goes bad, then your done and will have to start over from scratch. Esspecially if you don't have .bak file that "might" restore it.
It's all kinda like those those trapeze guys. They have that net below them for good reason.

CubbyHouseFilms,
So... is V143 too many?

Cranston,

Yes, good thoughts. Outside of making little videos in Windows Movie Maker, I have never taken on a project this complex so I am a newbie in that sense.

However; I always SAVED my project to two different drives, thinking that was the backup I needed (outside of the .bak files) Same project file in two different places.

But, your point is well taken. Now, last night just to convince myself that something is wrong and it isn't necessarily me I started another little project in PD6.

I am taking videos with a Canon 5D Mark II camera which writes files to .mov. I imported a file into PD6. This is the only file in the build at this point. I cut the clip to about 12 seconds and saved it. I then click PRODUCE. If I click CREATE A FILE, the program stops responding right then. It doesn't even allow me to click the forward arrow to choose AVI or MPEG and all those other choices on that page. If I click CREATE A STREAMING FILE, the program works fine.

Six days ago, the exact sequence of processing has worked.

Now, if I just bring the Aquarium clip to the timeline and click PRODUCE/CREATE A FILE, the program works fine.

Something is wrong here. Is there a place I can send my files and let somebody look at them?

Charles

EDIT: I just bought PHONE SERVICE from Cyberlink

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2009 10:37

Cranston
[Post New]
Charles,

It is very common here to see members upload a snippet of a clip they are having trouble with to a file sharing site (like a site called Media Fire for one, though there are many others out there).
And often you'll get 3, 4, 5 or more members here, who will download your upload and give you their test results from their systems. It happen all the time.

So by all means, start a nrw topic > explain the issues you are having with a clip > up load sample snippets to a file sharing (say 30 seconds?), where members can access/download it. And members here will often download and test them on their systems, and report back their findings, and what they think may be the problem, if any, with the file.
It may even be picked up by our moderator and be sent directly to Cyberlink, so they can look at and try to replicate your issue, looking for a possible bug. Or someone else, with the exact same camera my chime in with experience and advice.

One final note Charles. Many members here will tell you that they have had a much better a quicker resolution with issues here on the forum, than directly with Cyberlink customer support. As I am a big Cyberlink fan, I hate to say this, but my early experience with support was not good. But since finding and using this forum, I have had no need to contact support, as the talented members here have explained and help resolve all issues I ever had with PD.

Good Luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2009 16:48