Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HEELLP ME - PD7 is losing my images / vids
Sir Ed of Wood 55 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Liverpool Joined: Jul 28, 2009 05:38 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Im Broken hearted - I download images into a folder on my PC from my Sony Cybershot MPEGMOVIEVX.

I worked on the project /effects/pip/titles etc. I then save to a folder.

When I returned and tried to load them back in to carry on a message says ' Error occured whild loading images MOV DSCXXXX' no other info.
It gives me the option to abort or ignore. I ignore and it loads up in the order i layed the images out & saved it but the images have gone and all there is is a black where the image / vid was.

Heres the scary part - back in the folder the subfolders are blank and report just a couple of KBs. This has happend a couple of times but doesent appear constent.

I have an Intel dual core
4 gig hd
3 gig ram
nvida 9600gs

Help - whats happening

Eddie M
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Eddie -

Before you become broken hearted, make sure you haven't either moved or renamed the original files. That is usually the cause of that error message.

The options will be: Ignore... Abort... or BROWSE. Next time you open up the project, click on Browse and show PD where the files are.

Your project will be back together and your broken heart will be repaired.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with Tony. This is normally why this occurs. If you ever need to move a project from one location to another or when you want to make a backup always select pack project under File --> Export.

Quick question. Are all the images gone or only some? Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi eddie,

If you want more detail on .pds files look here :
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6504.page

Also it will be worth while looking at the video tutorials here
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page

but in this case maybe this one in particular
Title: Project Designing - CyberLink PowerDirector 7
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuK7Fhawaf4

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Edward,

Just to add to the mix here.

Am I understanding you correctly? (and let’s forget about PowerDirector here for a minute). Are you saying that you download (or copy), images/clips from your camera to a folder on your hard drive, and that you see them there in a folder and all is fine. And then the next day they have disappeared from those same folders, and from your hard drive?
Is that what you are saying? That’s kind of the way I am interpreting what you are saying.
That is indeed odd if files are mysteriously leaving their original folders without you doing the moving. And that would have nothing to do with PowerDirector, as PD doesn’t move the original files on it’s own.

Are you using “save as” to create multiple and consecutively numbered .pds saves of your work as you edit?
Perhaps if you provide a step by step explanation of exactly what you are doing, someone can pinpoint what might be causing this.
For example…

Day One
- Open PD
- Click on Import Media folder - Import files - Files appear in library
- Drag clips/images to timeline
- Edit clips/images
- Click on Director’s Chair > File > Save Project As…
- Enter name… “ProjectX -1” / click Save
- Do more edits
- Click on Director’s Chair > File > Save Project As…
- Enter name… “ProjectX - 2” / click Save
- Close project for next day

Day Two
- Open PD with the “ProjectX-2” .pds file
- Images do not appear in timeline or library
Etc., Etc., Etc.

A detailed description of your steps will probably help in sorting out the problem.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 28. 2009 09:04

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Hi All
Yep Cranston thats the process i go through. Nothing complicated its just when i reload all black where pics should be after a 'error message'

I do 'save as' and name the folder some times 'name- 1 then 2 etc as i move forward in the project.

When it tells me there an error opening the file ill go to browes and go to where i saved but it says it cant find images.

It appears to be random as i completed a project the other day from start to finish. it burned fine and plays fine. When i revisited the last save called 'final' all i got was every thing in its right order but black slots where the images / videos should have been. The titles. fades etc where in order (no audio thats disappered also)

Ive never moved a folder from where ive saved it - am i saving the wrong way or wrong location (i tried placing in different locations.

As I said - there doesent appear to be a patten to this

Thanks - keep thinking you are the experts - i appreciat it

Eddie
[Post New]
Hi 800rider

Thanks for those links but sorry, couldnt understand the tech stuff

Is it possible / that simple that all i have to do is make a master folder and keep all saves in there? and PD7 will find them?

Im sure ive done that before but will try again

We battle on my friendsdont desert me

Thanks
eddie

[Post New]
Hi James

all the pics / vid have disappeared (in PD6 only some) I havent yet found a pattern to this but think the point raised by 800rider & Cranston regarding using 1 main folder might do the biz

Thanks for helping
Any other ideas what it might be let me know - much appreciated

Eddie
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]

In relation to the clips used in the project

Basically the .pds file has the location of each file - video, image or audio

So typically you might have used,say,
2 audio files from c:\myDocs\music\folder1,
3 image files from c:\myDocs\pics\holiday1
24 video clips from c:\myDocs\video\holiday1

You start your project and save it to c:\myDocs\videoproject\folder1

All that is in c:\myDocs\videoproject\folder1 will be yourfile.pds

All the other files used will remain in their original folders. If by chance they are moved, renamed etc (particularly true with removable drives)
the .pds file cannot find them and asks you to point it in the right direction, which is their original (or any new location) not where the .pds file has been saved.

To avoid this it is ideal to copy all the resources for a project into a single location so they are organised and easy to keep together.

In effect that is what the pack project function does.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
You mention you have a 4Gig harddisk?

Is this really correct?

If so, that is likely going to be a problem for video editing. Your disk must be very full and windows and PD7 have very little temporary space to work.

If your disk really is only 4Gig in size, that's a problem. Windows usually tries to create a pagefile that is 1.5x the size of your RAM... that isn't even possible on your system.

On top of that, a 4gig drive is terribly slow in reading and writing... even with a dual core your drive will very much be the weak link in the whole process. I'm surprised PD7 will even run, and not surprised files are disappearing in your case.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2009 19:02

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Edward,

Though what I'm offering here is nothing new, and has been expounded in many other post by several other members, for what it’s worth, here is the workflow I employ. And since using this method, I have not had a blank/black missing file in a project for over 2 years.

(Note: this is a re-write of a past post I submitted, that I’ve edited to be more precise)

- Upon starting a project, say... “Billy’s Birthday Bash”. The first thing I do is to create a new folder and name it… “BBB Master”.
Then I locate all the images, clips, and audio (scattered across my computer), that I envision I might use in this BBB project, and I place a copy of these images and clips into the “BBB M” folder.

- Then I open PD7 and immediately go to > Directors Chair > Edit > Preferences > File > and I click on Browse at the Export Folder box, and locate and choose BBB Master, as the save location for all my saved assets (e.g. Produce saves, PDS saves, Snapshots, etc,)

- I then click on the Import Media tab > Import Media Folder > choose the BBB Master folder > and let PD load all my clips, images, and audio into the Library.

- Before I make my first edit, I do a… “save as” to create my first pds save and name it BBB-1. Now this, and subsequent pds saves (BBB-2, BBB-3, BBB-4, etc) will all go to the BBB Master folder and reside along with my project’s clips, images, and audio files.

- As I’m editing, and I think of other new elements that I want to add to this “Billy’s Birthday Bash” project, before I import any new or additional files into PD7, I first Minimize the running PD. Then I locate and place a copy of any new file I want to use, into the BBB Master folder. I then maximize (or re-open) PD7, and import these new assets into PD from the BBB Master folder, and NOT from where they are in their original folder.

- Finally, when my project is for all intents and purposes completed, and I have Produced a Master video file, or burned to DVD, as a Fail Safe step, I go to my Aux Storage Drive and find my “Packed Projects” folder. Within this Packed Projects folder, I create a new folder named “BBB Packed”.
Then, in my open BBB project in PD7, I go > Director’s Chair > File > Export > Pack Project Materials > And on the Browse for Folder page, I locate and choose that “BBB Packed” folder I just created as the Save destination > OK.
This packed file has now archived your project. It can now be copied and moved, and should always, into perpetuity, open your project just as you left it, should you ever wish to re-visit it in the future.
And now one can safely do some post-project maintenance and cleanup and delete stuff that is no longer needed, as the BBB Packed folder now contains everything you need.
(Note: If one should want to re-visit a project at some future date, to create a new edit. I would suggest making a copy of Packed folder, and working from the copy, thus retaining the original in case something should go wrong)

By using the methods described above, everything (e.g. Images, Video, Audio, PDS saves, Produced saves, Snapshots, Etc.), will always be in the same folder. And any time I re-open and continuing working on the “Billy’s Birthday Bash Project” (from the last saved pds file), PowerDirector won’t have too far to go to find all the assets and edits, as the pds files are rubbing shoulders with all the assets in the very same folder.

Good Luck.

This message was edited 10 times. Last update was at Nov 04. 2009 15:51

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Hi ON THE WEB
My apologies i got my specs mixed up, see below.
I well cover the sys requirments but thanks for replying

As I said previous the other guys here may have hit the button. Although i have never moved any PDs files it could be how ive saved them.

This is a great site with great experts

Ill carry on for now and get back to you all if ..no... when my broken heart is mended.

Thanks again lads . Ill keep in toouch

Operating System
Feature Details
Operating System Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Patch Level Service Pack 2
Date Installed 04/07/2009

Page File Size 3,369Mb
Page File Free 98%
Physical Memory Size 3,069Mb
Physical Memory Free 67%
Disk Type Fixed Disk
Disk ID C