Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
h.265 encoding problems
MarkB777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2020 17:56 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Hello. I have noticed that when encoding from avi to h.265 for prores 422 to h.265 i am experiencing problems in power director.

The final outcome will be that the video will be choppy, or eventually ythe video will freeze and the audio will continue to play. I experience choppiness when i use hardware acceleration. Nvenc with my titan x gpu (maxwell). If i cpu render then i get the result when the video plays back fine then freezes after a while.

Does anyone else have these problems? What is your experience like with h.265?
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Before you dig too deep, consider what media player you're using. Especially if you're using Windows' default player.

Download the infiinitely better VLC Media Player, which should be much better at handling these less common codecs and resolutions.

If you're still getting buggy playback, then it's time to troubleshoot the encoding process.
MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Before you dig too deep, consider what media player you're using. Especially if you're using Windows' default player.

Download the infiinitely better VLC Media Player, which should be much better at handling these less common codecs and resolutions.

If you're still getting buggy playback, then it's time to troubleshoot the encoding process.
Yes sir. Im using vlc
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It would probably help to see a sample source clip and the produced version of that same clip from PD.

You can upload the clips to folder on OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.
MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It would probably help to see a sample source clip and the produced version of that same clip from PD.

You can upload the clips to folder on OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.

Thats where the problem lies. My client would not want me posting their clip anywhere. It was a prores 422

The Source Code is According to vlc player

Stream 0
Codec: Apple ProRes (apcn)
Language : English
Type: Vidfeo
Video resolution: 1920x1080
BUffer Dimensions 1920x1088
Frame Rate 29.970030
Decoded format Planar 4:2:2: YUV 10 bit LE
Orientation: Top L;eft
Color Primaries: ITU-R BT.709 Range
Color Transfer function ITU-R BT.709
Color Space ITU-R BT.709 Range

Stream 1
Codec: DVD LPCM Audio (lpcm)
Language English
Type Audio
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Bits per sample 32

I wanted to turn these clips into h.265. I first tried powerdirector i selected h.265 and the 1920x1080 default. Renedered and about the first 30 min s played back fine, then the video froze and the audio continued.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I understand, so please do this instead: Make a 10-15 second clip of anything using the same settings on your camera, then run it through PD using the same settings you've used for this project.

Nobody cares what the subject is but it would really help to see the exact same kinds of clips you're having trouble with.

If each of those clips is smaller than 100MB, you can actually use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload it directly to the forum, otherwise use teh cloud folder method I described above.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello. I have noticed that when encoding from avi to h.265 for prores 422 to h.265 i am experiencing problems in power director.

The final outcome will be that the video will be choppy, or eventually ythe video will freeze and the audio will continue to play. I experience choppiness when i use hardware acceleration. Nvenc with my titan x gpu (maxwell). If i cpu render then i get the result when the video plays back fine then freezes after a while.

Does anyone else have these problems? What is your experience like with h.265?

I've seen many issues that sound similar with what you describe, often with ProRes source (many ProRes variants so I hate to paint with this wide brush), usually highly variable frame rates and all I frames in the file appear to be common triggers. At times, it appears turning off hardware decoding in pref helps (not sure why as ProRes is not valid for hardware decoded for my GPU), you might give that a try.

Since you latter say

Quote I wanted to turn these clips into h.265.

I’d use one of several very popular free video conversion tools and convert to a basic constant framerate, H.265 file of similar video specifics and see how that plays back. If you want and/or need to, edit this converted file in PD.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2021 18:39

MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I understand, so please do this instead: Make a 10-15 second clip of anything using the same settings on your camera, then run it through PD using the same settings you've used for this project.

Nobody cares what the subject is but it would really help to see the exact same kinds of clips you're having trouble with.

If each of those clips is smaller than 100MB, you can actually use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload it directly to the forum, otherwise use teh cloud folder method I described above.
Unforttunately the video was not recorded by me. I do know that someone did capture session with a macbook and recorded it live in pro res. If i had to make an educated guess i would say they did it using Final Cut pro
MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I've seen many issues that sound similar with what you describe, often with ProRes source (many ProRes variants so I hate to paint with this wide brush), usually highly variable frame rates and all I frames in the file appear to be common triggers. At times, it appears turning off hardware decoding in pref helps (not sure why as ProRes is not valid for hardware decoded for my GPU), you might give that a try.

Since you latter say

I’d use one of several very popular free video conversion tools and convert to a basic constant framerate, H.265 file of similar video specifics and see how that plays back. If you want and/or need to, edit this converted file in PD.

Jeff

Right. So i actually used tippard mxf converter software to convert it to h.265 since i posted this. however it was extremly slow.; It barely used my cpu and barely used my gpu even when i set it to gpu acceleration. It took 3 hours to convert this 2 hour clip. The final product was good but it was way too long for me.

I also have wondewrshare univideo converter for windows ..which i love because it converts videos fast. However when i have converted to h.265 before with it, the videos came out a little choppy. With power director i have had somewhat of a hit and miss experience. usually a miss.

I have grassvalley edius, however since i have a ryzen cpu i can't render into h.265. It only allows that with intel's igpu. Thats why i wanted to try h.265 in power director.

You believe it may be because of the prores codec? Forgive me i havernt learned the types of frames yet. I will though. Im a fast learner.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You believe it may be because of the prores codec?

Not ProRes per say, more a PD anomaly with some ProRes encoded files. Other utilities handle same file fine as you too found out, even though you didn't like the conversion speed.

Jeff
MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not ProRes per say, more a PD anomaly with some ProRes encoded files. Other utilities handle same file fine as you too found out, even though you didn't like the conversion speed.

Jeff

Ok. I would defintely like to hear your opinion on this. If you had a high quality video in mxf, avi, or and you wanted to put it into power director or color director, what codec would you use aside from Pro Res that would preserve good quality? The avi container would have Grassvalley Canopus HQ codec. The MXF video codec is DV
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ok. I would defintely like to hear your opinion on this. If you had a high quality video in mxf, avi, or and you wanted to put it into power director or color director, what codec would you use aside from Pro Res that would preserve good quality? The avi container would have Grassvalley Canopus HQ codec. The MXF video codec is DV

My view, if one wants something that has reasonable quality and an excellent chance of producing correctly with PD when finished editing, i.e. no skips, no audio glitches, no hangs, no blocky video, no video tears, no audio/video sync issues, no random skipped frames, on and on, PD works best with a timeline of consistency with all basic MPEG, H.264 or H.265 with constant framerate and near constant bitrate. Anything else, simply adds more risk for issues, maybe not encountered in a 30 sec flick, but become hurdles in a 120 min production.

Also keep in mind, ProRes and MXF containers were both recently added import formats, only since PD18, it will take time to become productionized via user feedback. One such user stumped at any attention given to provide proper MXF audio support in the release, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/83622.page#post_box_345376 and providing additional suggestions here https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40/83388.page#post_box_345601 .

Additionally, PD has no output support for ProRes or MXF or high-end quality 10-Bit 4:2:2 so one ultimately has to produce to basic MPEG, H.264 or H.265 anyhow.

Jeff