Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hardware Acceleration Demonstration
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
I put together this video that compares producing video with and without hardware acceleration using PD8. The results are quite dramatic when using AVCHD as the output format. I may go back and reproduce it with MPG2 as the output format if there is any interest.

For now I only have an ATI video card so I can't compare how CUDA would stack up to the ATI AVIVO. That said, the ATI hardware acceleration was not subtle and, in fact, QUITE IMPRESSIVE. The numbers speak for themselves and you'll have to watch to see the results.

VIDEO LINK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2e-t6Q5_s

UPDATE: Mpeg2 hardware acceleration showed a 25% faster rendering time when it is enabled for this same test video content.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 27. 2009 21:24

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Very nice example of the benefits of using your graphics card to render videos. I have an Nvidia GeForce 9800GT and the same as your ATI card it really makes a difference.

I can remember when I first started rendering videos a few years ago I virtually had to walk away from my computer and leave it to itself to render my videos and it was soooo slow.

Cheers

Robert My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]

Hardware encoding is fine, but don't use Fix/Enhance!! It had a big effect on my system!!

[Thumb - peggedCPU.jpg]
 Filename
peggedCPU.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Difference with Enhancement applied in video
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
183 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 28. 2009 00:52

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting screen shots there Fred, PowerDirector8 works fine but gets a bit flaky when you start to push it a bit. I am still trying to get a fix for my 32 bit 2 gig limit per program problem. It looks as though I am going to have to go to a 64 bit system to be able to produce some of my multiple pip videos.

Cheers

[Post New]
AAARGH!!!

Another upgrade!!! And a whole NEW set of issues!! But, I think you are right about needing 64BIT. MY 3GIG Quad does fine until I start getting fancy...then it just gets bogged down!

My luck would be..the system I want would only come with Windows 7 on it!! I better buy soon!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2009 01:15

Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
A very impressive demonstration of the improvements ATi compatible cards can make!

I upgraded my card specifically because of this, and have also found that the picture quality is better.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2009 07:05

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
I would expect with fix/enhance turned on that it would push the system hard.

Ideally you want all resources thrown at rendering the video so that it gets the job done quicker, up to the point it destabilizes the system.

I'll go back and add some fix/enhancement and run the test again. There are some speedup effects in the video I did, just to shorten the video length, but it would be good to push it some more.

I also had problems trying to render my video to WMV format. It would crash, but had no problem with Mpeg2 or AVCHD.

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
[Post New]
OK, Upgrade complete..

1. Now have PD8 installed on a new machine, shadow files off, hardware acceleration (CUDA) turned on.

• 64 Bit Vista SP1
    8GIG memory
    quad core 2.7 Mhz processor
    Nvidia GT 230 card (1.5 GIG dedicated memory)
    Build 2220 PD8

• CPUs (all 4) still pegged at 100% to about 90% with any video enhancements at all!!!
    Drops off to about 70% without enhancements. I am starting to think I need a new Video Editing program!! Shame this is the way.

I have a feeling that I will have to replace the video card, as on this system, even the full-screen playback of videos is "jerky"
    OnTheWeb1
    [Post New]
    Video card technology has really advanced, even though yours is not that old, its generations old compared to what's out there now.

Part of the difference may be the improvements in Win7 architecture. Notice how some of the codec stuff is natively integrated into the operating system now:

Windows Media Center
    Windows Media Center in Windows 7
    Main article: Windows Media Center

Windows Media Center in Windows 7 has retained much of the design and feel of its predecessor, but with a variety of user interface shortcuts and browsing capabilities.[49] Playback of H.264 video both locally and through a Media Center Extender (including the Xbox 360) is supported.

Some notable enhancements in Windows 7 Media Center include a new mini guide, a new scrub bar, the option to color code the guide by show type, and internet content that is more tightly integrated with regular TV via the guide. All Windows 7 versions now support up to four tuners of each type (QAM, ATSC, CableCARD, NTSC, etc).

When browsing the media library, items that don't have album art are shown in a range of foreground and background color combinations instead of using white text on a blue background. When the left or right remote control buttons are held down to browse the library quickly, a two-letter prefix of the current album name is prominently shown as a visual aid. The Picture Library includes new slideshow capabilities, and individual pictures can be rated.

For television support, the Windows Media Center "TV Pack" released by Microsoft in 2008 is incorporated into Windows Media Center. This includes support for CableCARD and North American (ATSC) clear QAM tuners, as well as creating lists of favorite stations.[50]

A Windows Media Center gadget is included as well.
    [edit] Format support

In addition to media support in Vista, Windows 7 will add playback of media in MP4, MOV, 3GP, AVCHD, ADTS, M4A, and WTV multimedia containers, with native codecs for H.264, MPEG4-SP, ASP/DivX/Xvid, MJPEG, DV, AAC-LC, LPCM and AAC-HE.[51]

Transcoding is integrated in the Windows Shell — the necessary conversion will happen automatically when a media file is dragged and dropped on the device icon.[citation needed] A new inbox video encoder will support encoding to H.264 1-pass CBR Baseline profile up to 1.5 Mbit/s, 640x480pixels at 30 frame/s. Audio encoder will support Low complexity AAC stereo at 44.1 or 48 kHz sample rate and 96, 128, 160 or 192 kbit/s bit rate.
    Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
    Intel i7-4770
    16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
    MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
    [Post New]
    Not sure how that relates to this issue, but thanks for the warning about Windows 7!!
    Not in windows 7 (yet, but am going). Need a new card...always used nvidia, but I will buy anything that works!!
    I understood that this card was a re-branded GT 9800..Wonder what I need??

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 30. 2009 18:31

OnTheWeb1
    [Post New]
    Just for laughs, download this little hard disk utility that measures your hard disk performance. Run it a few times and see what it says.

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
    Intel i7-4770
    16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
    MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
    [Post New]
    Well, I have plenty of time to laugh, waiting for a rendering.
    Hard drive is pretty fast. CPU pegging is more of an issue!

Here is a screenprint
    [Thumb - drive.jpg]
     Filename
    drive.jpg
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    82 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    174 time(s)
    Robert2 S
    [Post New]
    Quote: OK, Upgrade complete..

I have a feeling that I will have to replace the video card, as on this system, even the full-screen playback of videos is "jerky"

Fred I have a feeling there may be something else going on, If I have a complicated video to render I do notice my cpu go up instead of the graphics card handling it all. I have an old Nvidia 9800GT and my video playback is smooth as. I have a more powerful cpu but am using windows 32bit with 3 gig of ram.

It may be your codecs causing problems also. I have K-lite codec pack installed on my computer which gives you a player called Windows Classic media player. I have also heard FFdshow mentioned by Dafydd.

Have you tried Splash lite a new video playback program. I have found it plays back my videos in better quality also.

http://www.mirillis.com/

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

[Post New]
    Yeah, I think you are right. I had this problem with another system and can't remember what fixed it. Maybe a driver update...Unfortunately...there isn't one for this card....

Grr...just realized that part of the issue is not related at ALL to PD or the card. New system...needed NEW flash plugin for Firefox!!!

Found out by googleing and finding an old flaming post from MYSELF in the past!!! LOL

Still no explanation for the 100% CPU peg when rendering with enhancements.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 30. 2009 23:31

Andrew LBC [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: Oct 31, 2009 00:51 Messages: 4 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    I understood that this card was a re-branded GT 9800..Wonder what I need??

Correct. The GT230 is essentially a 9800 GT architecture but made on a much smaller manufacturing process which allows higher clock speeds and far less electricity usage.

I'm quite confused on how your card is not being able to play 1080p video smoothly. Have you uninstalled your graphics and motherboard drivers and updated them with the latest versions?

I recently built a tiny micro-itx media center PC which has a little dual core 1.6ghz Intel Atom processor coupled with the nVidia ION 9300 GPU, 2gb ram, and a laptop hard drive... and it plays 1080p blu-ray quality video just fine on my home theater system.

As for programs to playback video, I always use Media Center Classic Home Cinema along with the "full" codec pack from here: http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_full.htm

Make sure you setup your video rendering in MPC to use these settings to get DXVA to work properly.

DirectShow Video: EVR Custom Pres. **
    RealMedia Video: DirectX 9 **
    Quicktime: DirectX 9 **

Also make sure you select the box which says "process priority above normal" under options as well.

And when setting up the K-Lite codec pack, try and stick with ffdshow for most video formats unless it specifically states you should pick a different option in order to get DXVA working.
    Intel Q6600 G0 Quad @ 3.6ghz
    EVGA 780i SLI FTW
    EVGA GTX 285 FTW 1gb
    8gb Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066mhz 4x2048
    2x WD 74gb 16mb Raptor 10k
    SATA RAID-0
    2x WD 16mb 640gb SATA2 RAID-1
    Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum
    Win 7 Ultimate
    James W
    Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
    [Post New]
    Robert,

When you download the K-Lite Codec pack it comes with ffdshow.

Fred,

I also use both the Splash player and Media Player Classic Home Cinema to play my HD videos. As long as MPC is setup properly you can used GPU acceleration. I have no problems playing 1920x1080i AVCHD at 24 Mb/s.
    ------

My editing computer is a small HTPC with a microATX motherboard. Due to space limitations from the case and MB, I'm restricted to shorter video cards which do not extent out too far. As a result I could not use anything larger than a Nvidia 9500GT. My CPU is a Q9300 at stock speeds. When I render to AVCHD and the video does not have too many fancy effects my CPU usage is about 30%. However, just as Fred observed, once I add an extra video in the PIP tack or add more effects my CPU usage will reach 100%. My operating system is XP SP3.

My video card is still helping since I always see a reduction in rendering time with hardware acceleration even though my CPU is maxed out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 31. 2009 08:28

Q9300 2.5 GHz
    4 GB Ram
    Nvidia 9800 GT
    Robert2 S
    [Post New]
    Quote: As long as MPC is setup properly for GPU acceleration I have no problems playing 1920x1080i AVCHD at 24 Mb/s.
    ------

Hi Jim,

My MPC plays my HD videos fine, how do you set up MPC for GPU acceleration? I couldn't find any settings that mentioned GPU acceleration.

Cheers

James W
    Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
    [Post New]
    Robert,

Check out this thread about half way down. I included some screen shots for Donald and provided a link you can check out.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8424.page Q9300 2.5 GHz
    4 GB Ram
    Nvidia 9800 GT
    Robert2 S
    [Post New]
    Thanks Jim,

I will check it out, although my MPC must already be using GPU acceleration as I just checked my cpu usage while playing my 1920X1080 video full screen with my tv tuner playing in the background my cpu peaked at 10-12%.

Cheers

James W
    [Post New]
    It probably is. Maybe by chance you had the settings set up properly. Before I did any changes I would get pauses and skips when playing my HD Canon video. Now I get about 5% CPU usage and everything is fine. Q9300 2.5 GHz
    4 GB Ram
    Nvidia 9800 GT