Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lip Sync issue when capturing video with webcam - PowerDirector 17
patmoore1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2012 17:43 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I've never run into this problem before. When capturing video either with Screen capture or webcam, there is a definite issue with lip sync. Any suggestions?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's a lot of missing information here, and the most important detail is where you're seeing the lag.

If it's in the actual recording, you'll see it no matter which media play you use. Try at least two of these: VLC, Windows Media Player, Win10's Movies & TV app, PotPlayer, etc. This list has download links if needed.

If the sound lag is present when watching on these players, then something went wrong during the recording. Maybe there were too many other apps riunning or maybe the recording settings need to be adjusted. It's even possible that rebooting just before you start recording would solve the issue and it won't happen next time.

To work with this clip in PD, you'll want to unlink the video and audio tracks so they can be synced. Select the clip on the timeline then right click and choose Link/Unlink Video and Audio. Then click elsewhere on the timeline to deselect the separate tracks and drag the audio left or right to align it with the video.

If the clip plays normally in the other players but it lags when it's on PD's timeline, please see these FAQs.
patmoore1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem occured right at the outset. the file created by PowerDirector had the lip sync issue. I cleared out the shadow files and rebooted the PC before recording again. Same problem

I unlinked the audio and video and dragged the audio track to sync it properly but it was a hit and miss task and I still didn't get it perfect.

I'm running out of ideas.

Here's a short video clip of an attempt I made a few minutes ago.

https://youtu.be/cCUhJTr-_e4
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It's fairly straightforward to correct the offset in this short video: Start the audio track 26 frames ahead of the video for a 30fps project. Here's what it looks like on my end:

It might help to see the recording settings as there might be a way to keep the audio in sync from the beginning. If there's a setting to use hardware encoding for the video, make sure that box is checked.
patmoore1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I really appreciate your helping out. Sorry to be so dense but how do you calculate 26 frames? And how did you arrive at that figure?

I'm 74 and am a little slower grasping these concepts these days. embarassed I did change the frame rate to 30 fps.

I wasn't able to find recording settings for the webcam (a third party usb one on my PC)

I did try another test and got it to sync by experimenting sliding the audio track a little bit at a time but there must be an easier way.

Thanks for all your help!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I really appreciate your helping out. Sorry to be so dense but how do you calculate 26 frames? And how did you arrive at that figure?

I did change the frame rate to 30 fps.

Your posted YouTube video is 8 seconds long. Assuming 30 frames per second. Expand the timeline ruler to see the first few seconds clearly. 26 frames is about ⅞ of a second. The audio starts out late when looking at that video clip.

Move the video to the right about ⅞ second relative to the audio as shown by optodata. You can make smaller adjustments, say 10 frames, then 5 frames, then 2 frames, then 1 frame by holding down the Alt key and tapping the left and right arrow keys to adjust the highlighted video portion 1 frame at a time. Repeat in the left or right direction and recheck until you see lip sync.

Hope this makes it easier. You will know the same amount of frames to move the next time.