Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power director making disc that are "Bad Master Discs"
Johnmcf2
Newbie Location: Arizona City, Arizona Joined: Jul 15, 2018 13:13 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
This last month PD18 has burned over 50 bad discs again. Seems like it happens every year but never seem to be the same solution. Last year I replaced the Burner, Didnt work this year. the year before it had to do with the menu part crashing the burn. I have made a basic menu screen with just the title, one button and a background picture. Burning another disc to see if it will work. Anyone have an Idea what is going on? I keep thinking one year it was more about these menu templates being copywrited beyond use. Could be wrong but spent months working on that and finally gave up. last week It seemed to start working so I could finish the disc by turning the Internet on. I dont like doing that on the main computer I depend on for production... as we all have found out from the new Microsoft windows program they are dumping on us. You are ready to start streaming an event and oops microsoft has downloaded that software and has taken over your computer. Sorry all the viewers are out of luck. Not only my computer but the conputer that the church uses for monitors. Then the rest of the month all my computers suffered this upgrade.

Yep, Making a new simple Menu template worked. Burned OK and had no problems in the copier. And never turned on the internet to that computer. Have internet kill switches that is the same as unplugging the ethernet from a computer that is not being used for the internet... like this one I am using now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2021 16:59

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You should be able to preview a menu on any project. You may get a notification that objects are touching in the final burn window. That is the clue that is helpful. Burning short few minute projects to a rewritable optical disc that can be erased is good for testing menus.
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
There's an alternative way to burn discs . . and this way avoids making a lot of drink coasters and serves to isolate where the problem may be.
1. use PD18 to create the disc image file - output to an iso format. See the manual, p468 - save to disk image file.
Use a player like VLC to play the result: if OK, next step. If not OK - there's an issue with the creation of the image file in PD18.
Notes;
a. This approach also allows you to make corrections to any of the projects that are the content of the disk, without wasting a disk. Typically, spelling errors or typos in the menu that you only detect when playing the final result will prompt this.
b. With this method, you would have to use another program to burn the disk from the image file - apparently burn a disk from a disk image file isn't a feature of PD18
2. use a 3rd party image burner - several free on the net - and burn the disc from the disk image file you have confirmed is Ok.
if the disk plays Ok, you are home free. If not Ok, then your disk burner has a problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2021 03:41

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
In my experience, I gave up on using the "Save as disc image". For me it has been fraught with issues for many releases. I've had many projects that I can "Burn to disc" or "Create a folder" successfully but will fail when utilizing the "Save as disc image". The attached error shows such a case and the error message too is poorly constructed. "burning drive does not support this disc", say what, it's a hard drive with plenty of space as shown. The exact same project is created successfully with "Burn to disc" or "Create a folder" options.

Because of such, the "Create a folder" option I frequently use which can also be played with menu in VLC or the like to check and if okay the folder can easily be burned to a DVD and/or BD or I use the rewriteable option tomasc suggests.

Additionally, if "Save as disc image" does work, the issue highlighted here https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/135/45634.page#post_box_248322 has never been resolved and depending on selections can cause additional issues as project is actually fully encoded two unique times which can lead to encoding discrepancies and wasted time.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_ISO.PNG]
 Filename
PD18_ISO.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
Johnmcf2
Newbie Location: Arizona City, Arizona Joined: Jul 15, 2018 13:13 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There's an alternative way to burn discs . . and this way avoids making a lot of drink coasters and serves to isolate where the problem may be.
1. use PD18 to create the disc image file - output to an iso format. See the manual, p468 - save to disk image file.
Use a player like VLC to play the result: if OK, next step. If not OK - there's an issue with the creation of the image file in PD18.
Notes;
a. This approach also allows you to make corrections to any of the projects that are the content of the disk, without wasting a disk. Typically, spelling errors or typos in the menu that you only detect when playing the final result will prompt this.
b. With this method, you would have to use another program to burn the disk from the image file - apparently burn a disk from a disk image file isn't a feature of PD18
2. use a 3rd party image burner - several free on the net - and burn the disc from the disk image file you have confirmed is Ok.
if the disk plays Ok, you are home free. If not Ok, then your disk burner has a problem.

Yeah, I have used them all at one time or another. I used your method last year but then this new problem started showing up so I produced it and then used Power2Go to create disc; but, then that quit working. There always seams to be another problem that comes up. Don't have problems when I do not use the menus. The last production burned fine in HD but failed continuously burning standard DVD. It would burn all the way through with burn susccessful message but then when put in copier would fail with Bad Master Disk error and then when tried to play failed at the same spot like 25MB (not sure of the exact number but was the same on all attempts. Finally burned it with basic background and standard 3 button which I only used one for play. worked fine. It was also right in the middle of when MicroSoft was upgrading to the new Windows program. This Windows upgrade is completely new but they kept the name the same and just added Identifier letters to tell the difference between them. Trying to get people to take it just as if it was an update. I know it caused a lot of problems recording the project so probably should not be surprised that it corrupted the production phase also. Complete new program start up that took quite some time and then going through all the settings and turning off all the garbage... on all my computers.