Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Screen Recorder Error "The capture was stopped by Windows"
DaveN97 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2015 18:13 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector 16 on windows 10, powerdirector says no new updates so I think I have the latest version.
Screen recorder immediately fails on 2nd screen with error message "The capture was stopped by Windows".
It works fine on the first (laptop built-in) screen, but I need to use the 2nd screen for recording.
Any way to avoid this problem?
Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2021 13:20

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide so we can see the exact version of SR and the technical details of your system.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2021 13:24

DaveN97 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide so we can see the exact version of SR and the technical details of your system.

Before posting the above question, I tried to find the version of Screen Recorder by clicking on the top-left icon per the instructions. It does nothing - no version number display. ScreenRecorder.EXE's properties say Product version 3.0.0.2903 - maybe that is helpful?

DxDiag file attached.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
134 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
359 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 17. 2021 15:51

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmm. If it was the version of Screen Recorder that came bundled with PD16, it should be SR2, not v3. Clicking on the on the upper left icon on my system shows 2.1.0.7615:

There was briefly a standalone product called SR3, and you can see if you can apply the latest patch for that from the main CL software updates page.

You do have the latest version of PD16 as I can see it in the list of crashed apps at the end of the DxDiag results. Both your nVidia GTX 1060 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 drivers are out of date, and you should go to the Alienware support site for your laptop to get the latest drivers.

While you're there, I highly recommend you run through at least one of the diagnostics tests as your system is having trouble with PowerPoint and Explorer. Those kinds of crashes are often caused by problems with Windows's core files, and hopefully the diagnostic tests will be able to find and repair the damage.

You can also run the two commands as described here, especially if the Alienware diagnostics come up empty or aren't able to repair the issues.
DaveN97 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote .... You do have the latest version of PD16 as I can see it in the list of crashed apps at the end of the DxDiag results. Both your nVidia GTX 1060 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 drivers are out of date, and you should go to the Alienware support site for your laptop to get the latest drivers.

While you're there, I highly recommend you run through at least one of the diagnostics tests as your system is having trouble with PowerPoint and Explorer. Those kinds of crashes are often caused by problems with Windows's core files, and hopefully the diagnostic tests will be able to find and repair the damage.

You can also run the two commands as described here, especially if the Alienware diagnostics come up empty or aren't able to repair the issues.

Drivers updated, sfc /scannow run.
Exact same result: ScreenRecorder fails immediately trying to record from screen #2.
Are you able to record from a 2nd screen? Is anybody??
Thanks!
 Filename
DxDiag2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
135 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
210 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Sorry to say there there was no change at all to the video drivers. You clearly ran the DxDiag test two different times, but in both cases the Intel driver is v27.20.0100.8854 dated Oct 13, 2020 and the nVidia driver is v27.21.0014.6109 (aka 461.09) dated Dec 30 2020.

It looks like Alienware's updates contain those driver versions even though Intel and nVidia's "OEM" versions are much more recent. nVidia is at 461.92 (released yesterday) and Intel's latest is .9316 dated March 3, 2021. You may have difficulty installing the new drivers though as Dell is known for trying to keep users tethered to their in-house versions.

Meanwhile, none of that addresses the issue that you have a v3 SR. Can you take a a screenshot of the app and use the Attachments button to share it here?

How closely does it resemble this?:

To record on a 2nd monitor, just click on the cog/gear icon then go to the Video tab. If you have more than one monitor connected, you should be able to choose Primary, Secondary or Third from that screen.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2021 19:48

DaveN97 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry to say there there was no change at all to the video drivers. You clearly ran the DxDiag test two different times, but in both cases the Intel driver is v27.20.0100.8854 dated Oct 13, 2020 and the nVidia driver is v27.21.0014.6109 (aka 461.09) dated Dec 30 2020.

It looks like Alienware's updates contain those driver versions even though Intel and nVidia's "OEM" versions are much more recent; nVidia is at 461.92 (released yesterday) and Intel's latest is .9316 dated March 3, 2021. You may have difficulty installing the new drivers though as Dell is known for trying to keep users tethered to their in-house versions.

I used the Dell update link you suggested, not the vendor update, and Windows insists the drivers are up-to-date...

In any case, it is NOT a system problem, as I just downloaded the OBS screen capture tool and it records just fine from my second screen.

Quote Meanwhile, noe of that addresses the issue thaqt you have a v3 SR. Can you take a ascreenshot of the app and use teh Attachments button to share it here?

Attached. This version is whatever was installed by the CyberLink installer...
[Thumb - CyberLink_ScreenRecorder_screenshot.PNG]
 Filename
CyberLink_ScreenRecorder_screenshot.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
DaveN97, the screen recorder versioning is complex to say the least. There is a 1,2 and 3 of the initial basic ScreenRecorder that was PD14, 15 and 16. When PD17 came along, they came out with ScreenRecoder2, which is not the same as version 2 of the initial basic ScreenRecoder. Later ScreenRecorder3 and 4.

The 1, 2, 3 versions do nothing when the icon is clicked in the left corner as you note. That was not a feature until PD17, ScreenRecoder2.

There were a lot of issues with dual screens in version 3 of the basic ScreenRecorder which you did provide the proper version 3.0.0.2903 from the file properties. Both screens needed the same scale, do you have that? I also recall a issue if "Extended" displays and defined recorder regions causing a crash. I wouldn't doubt another issue perhaps with a laptop, I only had Desktop experience with same GPU driver. In your case, you have a different driver for laptop screen vs your Dell E2311H display.

Probably not much help, but I think you and optodata are talking 2 different version type releases. He is talking product ScreenRecorder2 and you are version 3 of essentially ScreenRecorder1 release.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
EDIT: I hadn't seen JL_JL's answer when I posted this but I agree that I was looking in the wrong direction based on the V3

Now we're getting somewhere. That's plain old ScreenRecorder. On my system it's V1.0.0.1320 dated Jan 2016 and came with PD14. With it open you can click on Settings then on Advanced to get to the Primary and Secondary monitor choices.

As to what's going on with the error message, it's probably a good idea at this point to contact CL tech support so that can assist you. You may want to include a link to this discussion when you submit your request so they can see everything that's been discussed so far.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2021 20:40

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have 2903 on my laptop. Just coupled up to a 2nd monitor and with extended screen and both monitor and inbuilt display set at same res and scale, I do not get an error. Same if I change res on the monitor, works OK.

Can you give more details of your setup and display configuration to help troubleshoot?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
DaveN97 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I have 2903 on my laptop. Just coupled up to a 2nd monitor and with extended screen and both monitor and inbuilt display set at same res and scale, I do not get an error. Same if I change res on the monitor, works OK.

Can you give more details of your setup and display configuration to help troubleshoot?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Apologies, but I do not know what additional setup/display info I can provide other than the DxDiag output above?
This is a fairly typical setup with both screens 1920x1280.
What else do you need?
Thanks!
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Apologies, but I do not know what additional setup/display info I can provide other than the DxDiag output above?
This is a fairly typical setup with both screens 1920x1280.
What else do you need?
Thanks!

Hi,

As Jeff indicated, the precise configuration with dual monitors can produce different behaviours with SR.

I wondered which display was allocated as "Main" and which was secondary.
I presume you are using them in extended mode not mirror/duplicate mode?
Are you using a user defined recording area or full screen or program window area?
Are you spanning the extended display, covering all or part of both monitors for your recording (even by a pixel or two)?

Whilst I still have no issues recording each monitor under some conditions, if I span two monitors with my selection, my recording is confined to part of one or the other, never both.

Having said all that, I cannot recall ever having a windows error message so......

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
DaveN97 [Avatar]
[Post New]
...I wondered which display was allocated as "Main" and which was secondary.
I presume you are using them in extended mode not mirror/duplicate mode?
Are you using a user defined recording area or full screen or program window area?
Are you spanning the extended display, covering all or part of both monitors for your recording (even by a pixel or two)?

Extended, no overlap, laptop is "main" and external display is #2.
Using entire screen to attempt recording.
Fails on #2, works on #1.
szkolenie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2021 04:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
i had the same issue, thx
DaveN97 [Avatar]
[Post New]
There are (at least) two users with this problem.
Do you have a fixed version available?
Thanks!
optodata
[Post New]
Quote There are (at least) two users with this problem.
Do you have a fixed version available?
Thanks!

This is a user forum and nobody here can fix software issues. You should submit an official support request to CL from their support webpage.