where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Patch Update to v2216 Causes Blue Screen Of Death
Reply to this topic
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Team,

I have just tried to install "Patch Update to v2216" on Power DVD 20. The install gets pretty much all the way through and then Blue Screens. That I can just about live with but in the process it has killed the Power DVD on my desktop.

Any thoughts about how or why or how to recover given that I can delete Power DVD and reinstall but not sure if that will fix the problem..
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Team,

Some more information re this issue for me..

The windows event viewer shows:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD20\PowerDVDVR.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD20\Kanten.X.MANIFEST" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

Attempting to play a video file indicates that the issue is a "side-by-side configuration error". I have attached an image of th eerror message.
[Thumb - Screenshot 2020-10-31 094037.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2020-10-31 094037.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
After a number of iterations with the Service Desk I have to say goodbye Power DVD 20, I thought you were good but you never quite achieved greatness, you couldn't talk to my Chromecast and finally you died at the hands of an update patch, requiring a complete rebuild of my desktop, not going to happen, VLC will do what you couldn't (talk to my Chromecast) and it's free.

crycry
PhilFKT [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Nov 08, 2020 22:11 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote After a number of iterations with the Service Desk I have to say goodbye Power DVD 20, I thought you were good but you never quite achieved greatness, you couldn't talk to my Chromecast and finally you died at the hands of an update patch, requiring a complete rebuild of my desktop, not going to happen, VLC will do what you couldn't (talk to my Chromecast) and it's free.

I just tried to install this patch today, with the same results as yours. Is it worth trying to uninstall and re-download and install? Or can you even do that? I don't think this is a very user-friendly web site. Also when I logged in it didn't show PowerDVD 20 in my product list. I can certainly prove I paid for it!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2020 22:32

prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
As recommended by the service desk I uninstalled the software and it seemed to uninstall, I then went through the process that the service desk recommended to complete the uninstall (uninstall a couple of directories). I then tried to install the software again. It got to about 85% and blue screened again.

As it didn't complete the installation there is no "uninstall" option so I now have files and possibly registry changes that I can't uninstall from a menu. (I can delete the directory and files manually). I have tried subsequently to install the software again and not succeeded.

If you Google the "side by side" error you will see that it would appear to be a problem with the Microsoft C++ redistributables. One of the options that suggested by Microsoft is to uninstall and reinstall all the the C++ redistributables. I felt unsure about doing that but Cyberlinkl suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the 2008 C++ packages (64 and 32 bit) I did this but it made no difference.

It would appear that on my machine at least there is an issue with the C++ redistributables which if it becomes a major issue with any other software I will need to rebuild the desktop.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As recommended by the service desk I uninstalled the software and it seemed to uninstall, I then went through the process that the service desk recommended to complete the uninstall (uninstall a couple of directories). I then tried to install the software again. It got to about 85% and blue screened again.

As it didn't complete the installation there is no "uninstall" option so I now have files and possibly registry changes that I can't uninstall from a menu. (I can delete the directory and files manually). I have tried subsequently to install the software again and not succeeded.

If you Google the "side by side" error you will see that it would appear to be a problem with the Microsoft C++ redistributables. One of the options that suggested by Microsoft is to uninstall and reinstall all the the C++ redistributables. I felt unsure about doing that but Cyberlinkl suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the 2008 C++ packages (64 and 32 bit) I did this but it made no difference.

It would appear that on my machine at least there is an issue with the C++ redistributables which if it becomes a major issue with any other software I will need to rebuild the desktop.

In response to my problem report which included a screenshot of the BSOD, I received instructions, step 1 of which was to update my graphics drivers (for Intel onboard graphics in my case, "Intel UHD Graphics 630"). I am considering doing this, but my system stays up to date and I am running Win10 20H2 with all the updates that Microsoft has supplied to date, so I am reluctant to introduce a driver change when everything else seems to work fine. I'm going to do further checking and carefully review the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" update choices. If I find a reasonable solution, I'll let you know. I'm not even going to look at C++ issues at this point.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]

In response to my problem report which included a screenshot of the BSOD, I received instructions, step 1 of which was to update my graphics drivers (for Intel onboard graphics in my case, "Intel UHD Graphics 630"). I am considering doing this, but my system stays up to date and I am running Win10 20H2 with all the updates that Microsoft has supplied to date, so I am reluctant to introduce a driver change when everything else seems to work fine. I'm going to do further checking and carefully review the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" update choices. If I find a reasonable solution, I'll let you know. I'm not even going to look at C++ issues at this point.

Later note: I did update my graphics drivers to the very latest level and tried to install the patch again, but again received the BSOD. As for C++ issues, that's just a bunch of BS. I had thought about uninstalling and trying to reinstall, but according to prevaljo, that just causes more problems. The instructions I received showed a lack of understanding of the problem, since 2 of the steps required the ability to actually OPEN the program. Note to support: THAT's THE PROBLEM- IT WON'T OPEN! I'm still looking for options to get SOME kind of PowerDVD version working on my system, Cyberlink support doesn't seem to understand that I just want something to use, even if it's a lower version than 20. I will do some more looking, but this is taking way too much time. Just give me something that WORKS!
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PhilFKT,

I share your pain. I'm sort of in agreement with the service desk that the issue is with my PC. It failed to install the latest Win 10 service patch and has a few other odd behaviours, like it won't do a manual reboot it just shuts down, if I try and disable a firewire card it BSODs other than that it functions normally. I have installed and updated several programs since I had the issue with DVD 20. I have struggled to get any detail on the cause of the BSOD as Win 10 doesn't, in this case leave a dmp file so I'm blind. I find it frustrating as there must be a solution that doesn't involve blowing the machine away and starting again.
Reply to this topic