Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Patch Update to v2216 Causes Blue Screen Of Death
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Team,

I have just tried to install "Patch Update to v2216" on Power DVD 20. The install gets pretty much all the way through and then Blue Screens. That I can just about live with but in the process it has killed the Power DVD on my desktop.

Any thoughts about how or why or how to recover given that I can delete Power DVD and reinstall but not sure if that will fix the problem..
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Team,

Some more information re this issue for me..

The windows event viewer shows:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD20\PowerDVDVR.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD20\Kanten.X.MANIFEST" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

Attempting to play a video file indicates that the issue is a "side-by-side configuration error". I have attached an image of th eerror message.
[Thumb - Screenshot 2020-10-31 094037.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2020-10-31 094037.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
22 time(s)
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
After a number of iterations with the Service Desk I have to say goodbye Power DVD 20, I thought you were good but you never quite achieved greatness, you couldn't talk to my Chromecast and finally you died at the hands of an update patch, requiring a complete rebuild of my desktop, not going to happen, VLC will do what you couldn't (talk to my Chromecast) and it's free.

crycry
PhilFKT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2020 22:11 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote After a number of iterations with the Service Desk I have to say goodbye Power DVD 20, I thought you were good but you never quite achieved greatness, you couldn't talk to my Chromecast and finally you died at the hands of an update patch, requiring a complete rebuild of my desktop, not going to happen, VLC will do what you couldn't (talk to my Chromecast) and it's free.

I just tried to install this patch today, with the same results as yours. Is it worth trying to uninstall and re-download and install? Or can you even do that? I don't think this is a very user-friendly web site. Also when I logged in it didn't show PowerDVD 20 in my product list. I can certainly prove I paid for it!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2020 22:32

prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
As recommended by the service desk I uninstalled the software and it seemed to uninstall, I then went through the process that the service desk recommended to complete the uninstall (uninstall a couple of directories). I then tried to install the software again. It got to about 85% and blue screened again.

As it didn't complete the installation there is no "uninstall" option so I now have files and possibly registry changes that I can't uninstall from a menu. (I can delete the directory and files manually). I have tried subsequently to install the software again and not succeeded.

If you Google the "side by side" error you will see that it would appear to be a problem with the Microsoft C++ redistributables. One of the options that suggested by Microsoft is to uninstall and reinstall all the the C++ redistributables. I felt unsure about doing that but Cyberlinkl suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the 2008 C++ packages (64 and 32 bit) I did this but it made no difference.

It would appear that on my machine at least there is an issue with the C++ redistributables which if it becomes a major issue with any other software I will need to rebuild the desktop.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As recommended by the service desk I uninstalled the software and it seemed to uninstall, I then went through the process that the service desk recommended to complete the uninstall (uninstall a couple of directories). I then tried to install the software again. It got to about 85% and blue screened again.

As it didn't complete the installation there is no "uninstall" option so I now have files and possibly registry changes that I can't uninstall from a menu. (I can delete the directory and files manually). I have tried subsequently to install the software again and not succeeded.

If you Google the "side by side" error you will see that it would appear to be a problem with the Microsoft C++ redistributables. One of the options that suggested by Microsoft is to uninstall and reinstall all the the C++ redistributables. I felt unsure about doing that but Cyberlinkl suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the 2008 C++ packages (64 and 32 bit) I did this but it made no difference.

It would appear that on my machine at least there is an issue with the C++ redistributables which if it becomes a major issue with any other software I will need to rebuild the desktop.

In response to my problem report which included a screenshot of the BSOD, I received instructions, step 1 of which was to update my graphics drivers (for Intel onboard graphics in my case, "Intel UHD Graphics 630"). I am considering doing this, but my system stays up to date and I am running Win10 20H2 with all the updates that Microsoft has supplied to date, so I am reluctant to introduce a driver change when everything else seems to work fine. I'm going to do further checking and carefully review the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" update choices. If I find a reasonable solution, I'll let you know. I'm not even going to look at C++ issues at this point.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]

In response to my problem report which included a screenshot of the BSOD, I received instructions, step 1 of which was to update my graphics drivers (for Intel onboard graphics in my case, "Intel UHD Graphics 630"). I am considering doing this, but my system stays up to date and I am running Win10 20H2 with all the updates that Microsoft has supplied to date, so I am reluctant to introduce a driver change when everything else seems to work fine. I'm going to do further checking and carefully review the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" update choices. If I find a reasonable solution, I'll let you know. I'm not even going to look at C++ issues at this point.

Later note: I did update my graphics drivers to the very latest level and tried to install the patch again, but again received the BSOD. As for C++ issues, that's just a bunch of BS. I had thought about uninstalling and trying to reinstall, but according to prevaljo, that just causes more problems. The instructions I received showed a lack of understanding of the problem, since 2 of the steps required the ability to actually OPEN the program. Note to support: THAT's THE PROBLEM- IT WON'T OPEN! I'm still looking for options to get SOME kind of PowerDVD version working on my system, Cyberlink support doesn't seem to understand that I just want something to use, even if it's a lower version than 20. I will do some more looking, but this is taking way too much time. Just give me something that WORKS!
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PhilFKT,

I share your pain. I'm sort of in agreement with the service desk that the issue is with my PC. It failed to install the latest Win 10 service patch and has a few other odd behaviours, like it won't do a manual reboot it just shuts down, if I try and disable a firewire card it BSODs other than that it functions normally. I have installed and updated several programs since I had the issue with DVD 20. I have struggled to get any detail on the cause of the BSOD as Win 10 doesn't, in this case leave a dmp file so I'm blind. I find it frustrating as there must be a solution that doesn't involve blowing the machine away and starting again.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi PhilFKT,

I share your pain. I'm sort of in agreement with the service desk that the issue is with my PC. It failed to install the latest Win 10 service patch and has a few other odd behaviours, like it won't do a manual reboot it just shuts down, if I try and disable a firewire card it BSODs other than that it functions normally. I have installed and updated several programs since I had the issue with DVD 20. I have struggled to get any detail on the cause of the BSOD as Win 10 doesn't, in this case leave a dmp file so I'm blind. I find it frustrating as there must be a solution that doesn't involve blowing the machine away and starting again.

I re-entered another problem report after realizing that I had misinterpreted the instructions for providing data on the problem (the initial problem report had been closed due to inactivity). Yesterday I provided Cyberlink support with the data they requested and I am waiting to hear back from them. The data requested was dxdiag output, the product UREG file, along with a screenshot of the BSOD.

As for my PC being a source of the problem, I think that's very unlikely. I am running the latest level of Windows 10 (20h2) with all maintenance up to date, including all INTEL drivers and all motherboard vendor patches including the latest BIOS. I have had zero problems installing ANYTHING else. I'm at least a little hopeful that they will come up with something soon.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]

I re-entered another problem report after realizing that I had misinterpreted the instructions for providing data on the problem (the initial problem report had been closed due to inactivity). Yesterday I provided Cyberlink support with the data they requested and I am waiting to hear back from them. The data requested was dxdiag output, the product UREG file, along with a screenshot of the BSOD.

As for my PC being a source of the problem, I think that's very unlikely. I am running the latest level of Windows 10 (20h2) with all maintenance up to date, including all INTEL drivers and all motherboard vendor patches including the latest BIOS. I have had zero problems installing ANYTHING else. I'm at least a little hopeful that they will come up with something soon.

12/13/20: This forum software is not very user-friendly. Neither is their customer service problem report interface - I just tried to add additional information to my problem and discovered that you can't update your problem until they send you the email link, if YOU were the last person to submit an update. That means you can't supply any additional information that SUPPORT requested, until they respond. Of all the support sites I've used over the years, this is one of the most exasperating. So THEY'RE waiting on ME, but I'M waiting on THEM! This just doesn't make sense. Spoiler alert: with the latest graphics driver level, 27.20.100.9030, I still get the BSOD. If you know something about how to use these dialogs better, please let me know. Maybe there's a tutorial?
Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

A new patch has been released, so maybe try that in the meantime.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84032.page

Cheers
PowerDVD Moderator Please direct any sales or technical issues to CyberLink's customer support team:

Sales or installation related issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do

Software technical issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/sup
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

A new patch has been released, so maybe try that in the meantime.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84032.page

Cheers
PowerDVD Moderator

Thanks. I will try this out ASAP and post again afterward.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks. I will try this out ASAP and post again afterward.

Well, I just tried the new patch. It failed to a BSOD, EVEN FASTER than the old one. It didn't get nearly as far before it took my system down. You would have to try hard to find a Win10 system more up to date than mine, and I've not had any other install fail this way. If support will ever allow it, I will be happy to provide them with documentation. A queestion - why don't they ever ask for a dump??
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]

Well, I just tried the new patch. It failed to a BSOD, EVEN FASTER than the old one. It didn't get nearly as far before it took my system down. You would have to try hard to find a Win10 system more up to date than mine, and I've not had any other install fail this way. If support will ever allow it, I will be happy to provide them with documentation. A queestion - why don't they ever ask for a dump??

I didn't encounter the same crash on all of platforms I have (2 laptops and 1 desktop, all of them are Windows 10)

Because BSOD is a usually sort of Windows system or hardware driver crash on your platform, I'm afraid no matter they ask for your dump log or not, it won't help your case at all.

It seems there are some hardware drivers or devices on your platform didn't work stably during a standard software installing.
I really don't think you will get any actual help if you keep asking them to investigate a Windows system crash error.

You'd better ask Microsoft to check this Windows BSOD crash, or ask your PC and hardware vendors for help to look into the dump log if you have dumped any.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 14. 2020 20:24

prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tend to concur that it is a Windows issue, but in this case the BSOD doesn't leave any crash information on the system which makes it very hard to resolve.

Often advice given on resolving issues points to drivers or hardware that has recently been added. In my case if I attempt to update or change a driver I get a BSOD. I suspect that post Christmas I will have to take it to a tech shop to resolve.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I tend to concur that it is a Windows issue, but in this case the BSOD doesn't leave any crash information on the system which makes it very hard to resolve.

Often advice given on resolving issues points to drivers or hardware that has recently been added. In my case if I attempt to update or change a driver I get a BSOD. I suspect that post Christmas I will have to take it to a tech shop to resolve.

Per Qc2.0 and prevaljo, I suspect you are correct that it is a Windows issue on my system. With all the messing around MS has done with C++ libraries in the past, that's probably the issue, as an earlier post suggested. I do get dumps when the BSOD occurs, but I'm not willing to spend the time to work with MS, at this point, to have them help resolve the issue. The bottom line is, I have a lot of other things to do right now that are more important to me, and this is really pretty low on my priority list, especially when it's an application I rarely use anyway. I have another Win10 Pro desktop I could try this on, but I'm not anxious to do that anytime soon. I kept thinking it was Cyberlink's problem, but since other people seem to be using PowerDVD20, it's probably mine. At any rate, I'm grateful to you for providing input on the issue, it did help. I will let the issue drop for now, but in the future if I get a resolution, I'll try to remember to update the forum! And Cyberlink Support did their best to help, too. I appreciate their efforts and patience with me. On the plus side of all this, I did install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, and got my system upgraded to the current DCH video drivers. So, not in vain.
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have refused to give up on this problem, and have had some luck, only some. I ran a windows routine that identified and corrected some corrupt system files (sfc/scannow). This gave me some confidence (misplaced) I deleted the PowerDVD directory in Windows Program files, and the PowerDVD directory in the appdata directory. Reinstalled PowerDVD 19, it worked, installed PowerDVD 20 it worked and I should have left it at that point. I confidently installed the latest update patch for a "smoother experience", bang. Back to square one. Repeated the exercise, up to the point that I tried to install PowerDVD 20 bang. Repeated the process but stopped at PowerDVD 19. I won't bother trying to install a later version at the present time. I see on this forum that a number of people have had issues with the patches/upgrades to PowerDVD 20. I obviously still have machine issues but at least I have an OK video player.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2021 03:37

PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have refused to give up on this problem, and have had some luck, only some. I ran a windows routine that identified and corrected some corrupt system files (sfc/scannow). This gave me some confidence (misplaced) I deleted the PowerDVD directory in Windows Program files, and the PowerDVD directory in the appdata directory. Reinstalled PowerDVD 19, it worked, installed PowerDVD 20 it worked and I should have left it at that point. I confidently installed the latest update patch for a "smoother experience", bang. Back to square one. Repeated the exercise, up to the point that I tried to install PowerDVD 20 bang. Repeated the process but stopped at PowerDVD 19. I won't bother trying to install a later version at the present time. I see on this forum that a number of people have had issues with the patches/upgrades to PowerDVD 20. I obviously still have machine issues but at least I have an OK video player.

Thanks for your post! Good to know I can get back to PowerDVD 19 if I choose to. This is still low on my list, but I will run "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" followed by "sfc /scannow", as recommended by MS Support in case that's part of the problem. Even if that finds corrupt files, I probably will still not work on PowerDVD 20 for a while, since my other projects have higher priority right now. And some of what I wanted PowerDVD to do for me is covered by "Project" in Windows 10, which enables me to put anything on my computer screen on my smart TV.
PhilFKT [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for your post! Good to know I can get back to PowerDVD 19 if I choose to. This is still low on my list, but I will run "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" followed by "sfc /scannow", as recommended by MS Support in case that's part of the problem. Even if that finds corrupt files, I probably will still not work on PowerDVD 20 for a while, since my other projects have higher priority right now. And some of what I wanted PowerDVD to do for me is covered by "Project" in Windows 10, which enables me to put anything on my computer screen on my smart TV.

Late note: I did run those Microsoft Utilities, and both concluded successfully with no errors, verification 100% complete and no integrity violations. So I'm not surprised it didn't help you.