Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector & GoPro 9 5K
Zan2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 08, 2017 05:00 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
With the lunch of the new GoPro Hero 9 I need full support for 5K Video (5120 x 2880) , although PowerDirector can playback and edit the footage with no problems it's not able to export the footage in the same resolution. The highest resolution is in the 4K area so it rescales the footage. I have also tried to manually modify the profile.ini file and create / edit a custom resolution but as soon as I start rendering the output PowerDirect will crash. It's especially frustrating as free alternative such as OpenShot works with no issues.

Did anyone managed to edit 5K footage from the GoPro 9 without issues?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Many people have, so if you tried making a custom produce profile and PD is crashing, chances are that there's an error in the settings or there might be issues with your PC.

This post links to a solid custom setting that could be reduced to 5120x2880.

In addition, please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the details of your computer.
Zan2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Many people have, so if you tried making a custom produce profile and PD is crashing, chances are that there's an error in the settings or there might be issues with your PC.

This post links to a solid custom setting that could be reduced to 5120x2880.

In addition, please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the details of your computer.

Custom profile works now after a complete reinstall of the power director so something was crashed. Still it's not a good solution as smart/quick render will not work for custom profile and with the 5K video there is nothing detected so rendering is very slow and has no acceleration from the GPU.

By the way my PC is based on a 8 core / 16 threads Ryzen 7 / 1700
16 GB RAM
nVidia GTX960
3x SSD drives

For working with 4K@30 and 4k@60fps i don't even need shadow files, not even with effects such as slow down, color, contrast adjustments.

Also got an official answer to my support ticket:

"
Hi Customer,
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.
We understand that you are unable to produce a 5K video. We are more than willing to assist you.
With reference to your query, we appreciate your suggestion and that the need is forwarded to the related department for consideration.
We suggest not to manually modify the profile in because it might affect PowerDirector 365.
"
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Custom profile works now after a complete reinstall of the power director so something was crashed. Still it's not a good solution as smart/quick render will not work for custom profile and with the 5K video there is nothing detected so rendering is very slow and has no acceleration from the GPU.

You may be above the hardware encoding limit of your GTX960. Take a look at this table (you'll need to exapnd it to see older cards like yours).

I'd be happy to test out other profiles to see if NVENC can be used. Just upload a sample clip to OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive and post a publicly shareable link here.
Zan2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the file on google drive 5K sample

Also here is how PowerDirector works with 4K@60fps from the same camera:
[Thumb - 4k2.PNG]
 Filename
4k2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
[Thumb - 4K.PNG]
 Filename
4K.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
70 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
Zan2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
And this for the 5K custom profile.
Also the media info 4K vs 5K
[Thumb - 5k2.PNG]
 Filename
5k2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
38 time(s)
[Thumb - 5k.PNG]
 Filename
5k.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
70 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
22 time(s)
[Thumb - 4Kvs5K.PNG]
 Filename
4Kvs5K.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the clip and all the details!

I used a modified version of the 5.7K profile in the discussion I linked to above and everything worked great:

I produced the clip in 57 seconds, and you can download it along with the custom profile from this OneDrive folder.

As you can see, the produced clip is at full resolution and quality:

Zan2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is strange, I had to work on another 5K video and now the "hardware acceleration" was enabled by default on the custom profile, still it's very slow when encoding and not using all resources, just ~ 60% CPU and 1% GPU. In 4K@60fps i can either use 100% CPU or use ~ 60% CPU + 100% GPU.
[Thumb - pd2.PNG]
 Filename
pd2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
461 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - PD1.PNG]
 Filename
PD1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
By any chance do you have lots of titles in your project?

Specifically any scrolling ones or any that are onscreen for long periods of time? There's a serious bug in PD19/365 that causes painfully slow producing times when titles like that are present.

CL is aware of the issue and you can read more details here.
Zan2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote By any chance do you have lots of titles in your project?

Specifically any scrolling ones or any that are onscreen for long periods of time? There's a serious bug in PD19/365 that causes painfully slow producing times when titles like that are present.

CL is aware of the issue and you can read more details here.

It's just a simple edit, no title, no text, no effects and no transitions, just 3 indivitual clips cut and joined into a single video.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's just a simple edit, no title, no text, no effects and no transitions, just 3 indivitual clips cut and joined into a single video.

Zan2 - The GPU table link from optodata show that the GTX 960 can do 4k hevc but not the 8k hevc videos of the current generation of Nvidia gpu. I was able to enable the Intel integrated graphics on an earlier 5k video project. Try that if you have an intel cpu.

I tested your source clip and created a custom profile using the Profile Analyzer/svrt on an earlier version of PD. Ran a 10 second trimmed clip for the test. Result is 19 seconds to produce with a current nvidia card. On svrt it took only a few seconds to produce 99% of the clip and waited another 4 minutes to complete the 100% which is the same as cpu rendering.