Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trying to edit video from insta360 R one inch mod but video is stuttering
FolioGraphic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2020 16:58 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
So I can play the video in its full resolution in other video playing apps but once I import this video into PowerDirector the replay window stutters and looks awful while the audio keeps playing the video will even stop at points.

I'm a subscriber so I hope someone can help walk me through what I need to do to edit this video in a way that I can actually see what I'm doing and how it will look rather than a stuttering mess.

Thanks if you have any suggestions, I'll be watching.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
This is a very common issue which is why there's a FAQ dedicated to it.
FolioGraphic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This is a very common issue which is why there's a FAQ dedicated to it.

Thank you, that was a helpful point in the right direction... and it's still stuttering...

Made sure shadow files was enabled, and it was.
Couldn't find the "Render Preview" option so coudn't do that.
Reduced the preview to Normal and it looks like the first version of MineCraft on maybe a 16bit system.
Selected non real-time preview mode... well that sucks...
Saved the project closed shit up and went back in...
Closed other applications. (Though this would be the only software I own that can't be used for a multitasking situation)

So that covers your FAQ and I'm running on the following system:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
RTX 2080
64 Gigs DDR4 at 3200
64-bit Windows 10

So I know it's not a great machine but it should be able to handle a video from an action cam don't you think?

Now, insta360s editor handles the videos just fine with 20 other applications running on two 34inch wide screen displays at 3440 x 1440 and 100hz.

So, if anyone can help moving on from the "Check if it's plugged in" solutions to the serious ones please? Otherwise this subscription just isn't worth a penny and my video reviews of the product will be embarrassing for CyberLink when put side by side with other editors.

If it helps (And I'd really like this to work since I've invested time and money into this software suite) the videos in question are mp4 in the range of 45GB at 5312x2988 and 29.97fps with 95.66Mbps (This one is just over one hour long)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2020 19:42

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You might post some detail of your insta360 One R source video, (MediaInfo a good tool), I believe it can record up to 100Mbps bitrate, that's very tough for PD to playback smoothly in the timeline.

Shadow files about the only timeline playback solution native in PD for such high bitrate, they will make playback much easier once created, wait for the green icon in the corner of the clip.

Jeff
FolioGraphic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You might post some detail of your insta360 One R source video, (MediaInfo a good tool), I believe it can record up to 100Mbps bitrate, that's very tough for PD to playback smoothly in the timeline.

Shadow files about the only timeline playback solution native in PD for such high bitrate, they will make playback much easier once created, wait for the green icon in the corner of the clip.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, so would you say I should export it from the insta360 editor at a lower bit rate to use in PD? What bit rate would you say should be safe so to save me a lot of trial and error?

The videos in question are mp4 in the range of 45GB at 5312x2988 and 29.97fps with 95.66Mbps (This one is just over one hour long)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2020 19:53

FolioGraphic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You might post some detail of your insta360 One R source video, (MediaInfo a good tool), I believe it can record up to 100Mbps bitrate, that's very tough for PD to playback smoothly in the timeline.

Jeff

And I have made sure the checkmark is there, it runs for a second and pauses for half a second over and over and over while the audio keeps going then the video just freezes.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote And I have made sure the checkmark is there, it runs for a second and pauses for half a second over and over and over while the audio keeps going then the video just freezes.

That shouldn't happen at all with shadow files. Can you upload a sample clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and share a public link here?
FolioGraphic [Avatar]
[Post New]

And I have made sure the checkmark is there, it runs for a second and pauses for half a second over and over and over while the audio keeps going then the video just freezes.

I enabled OpenCL and reran the optimization. That SEEMs to have helped a bit, it doesn't freeze any more but it still does the one second and pause bit.
FolioGraphic [Avatar]
[Post New]

That shouldn't happen at all with shadow files. Can you upload a sample clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and share a public link here?

Sure can, it's a bit late so I'm gonna break for the day but I will take a 5 minute chunk out and upload it in the AM.

Thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Anything over about 40Mbps usually can create fluent playback problems, even on a fairly healthy system. For reference, shadow files once created are at ~8Mbps, hence why timeline playback should be smooth. I'm not sure what you mean by checkmark is there, yes, a checkmark in pref to activate but a orange movie strip icon in lower left corner of clip in the media library will turn green when shadow files have been created. This could take a reasonable amount of time on your system, not simply a few minutes for that hour long clip. Smooth playback will not occur until that orange icon in the left corner of each clip in the media library is green.

OpenCL will have virtually no effect on timeline playback if it's just a source clip, the other option there can be very beneficial with your RTX2080 as it will do the decode for timeline playback.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2020 20:30

FolioGraphic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Anything over about 40Mbps usually can create fluent playback problems, even on a fairly healthy system. For reference, shadow files once created are at ~8Mbps, hence why timeline playback should be smooth. I'm not sure what you mean by checkmark is there, yes, a checkmark in pref to activate but a orange movie strip icon in lower left corner of clip in the timeline will turn green when shadow files have been created. This could take a reasonable amount of time on your system, not simply a few minutes for that hour long clip. Smooth playback will not occur until that orange icon in the left corner of each clip in the media library is green.

OpenCL will have virtually no effect on timeline playback if it's just a source clip, the other option there can be very beneficial with your RTX2080 as it will do the decode for timeline playback.

Jeff

Sorry, I meant the orange icon in the bottom left had turned green (but there is also a green checkmark in the top right for some reason). I'm watching the playback right now, and it's going smooth, there's a weird green line across the top of the time line and an incidcator that keeps saying "Rendering... --%" going from 0 - 100% over and over adding more to the green line in the time line.

I can assure you that the icon is green but this other rendering thing keeps going, the odd part is that now it's previewing smoothly so I can work on it now.

I'll check out another video and watch for exactly what happens if I let it sit a bit after getting the green icon and then update with what I find.

Thanks for all the help guys, I can get impatient when things don't go as expected.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
The green check mark is because the clip is used in the timeline.

That green render bar above the timeline is usually a kiss of death for performance. It can be triggered automatically if PD senses a system struggling during playback.

If me, I'd manual remove the temporary files, pref > General and Manual Delete, do this with just a PD session but not your real project timeline loaded. Once done, load your proper project and do not do anything until all the lower left green movie strip icons have been generated. They will be regenerated since the manual delete removed them.

After above finishes and all clips in the media library are green in the lower left corner, no orange, see how things playback for you.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
You'll also need to set the Preview Quality to Full HD (not Ultra) and also disable the auto rendering option under Settings | General:

Once that's done, clips with shadow files should work perfectly.