Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector 12 365 won't start
NitroHHHH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2020 13:33 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi can anyone help? Cyberlink support haven't been able to give me a solution.

I installed the upgrade to PD v12 365. But it wont run. It tries to start, then hangs.
This is on Windows 10 home latest version, on an Acer Nitro 5 2020 laptop.

I've tried the follwoing;
uninstall and re install
uninstall and re install with anti virus and firewall off
I've installed the non 365 version and it loads and runs without a glitch (but I'm not getting the full features which I've paid for with 365 subs)
I've uninstalled non 365 version and then re installed PD v12 365 and 365 version still just hangs.

This pc ran v11 ok (although it did reload projects with all layers duplicated).

This PC shipped with an Acer partnership verion of Cyberlink software which I did uninstall around the same time that I got issues with swapping to v12. However if I'm installing 365 on any pc with no Acer partnership software, you'd like to think it would work.

All unisatalls were done through the windows settings add remove prorgrams, I didnt just delete stuff off hard drives.

What is stopping PhotoDirector starting up? It gets as far as loading the GUI for the app with menu titles but then just hangs. In the background the PhotoDirector start up banner (where you agree Ts and Cs) is there just hanging with the loading icon just wizzing round. To close the app and try again you have to go into task manager and end task.

I've loaded all the other cyberlink director series with the latest versions and they all run without a clitch.

Any ideas? ( other than subscribe to Adobe !)

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2020 13:51

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry you're havng trouble, and with all the steps you've tried I don't see that you had looked on the forum to see if anyone else had been having trouble like this.

There's a discussion from 3 days ago with another person having the same issue as you, so please read that discussion and see if that resolves the problem with your installation.
NitroHHHH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2020 13:33 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm sorry you're havng trouble, and with all the steps you've tried I don't see that you had looked on the forum to see if anyone else had been having trouble like this.

There's a discussion from 3 days ago with another person having the same issue as you, so please read that discussion and see if that resolves the problem with your installation.

Thanks. This gave me some idea about how to fix it.

I found version 11 and version 8 folders and PHD files.
I also realised that OneDrive was syncing Pictures folder which contained the Cyberlink > PhotoDirector folder.

So I did the following:
I stopped the OneDrive sync and deleted all Cyberlink references from OneDrive.
I uninstalled phd v12 app.
I started a new location and moved all parts of previous projects to it.
I deleted all folders for V12, 11, 8

So the only PhotoDirector reference on the PC was the various elements of v11 projects.

I then reinstalled and this time the app started ! I was then able to create new project folders from saved elements.

I did part way through this try to recover project folders from the v11 parts of saved but each time this failed and just froze the app.

it would appear there are issue moving from v11 to v12 project folders. Caused by what I don't know.

I am now able to start the app and open these newly constructed project folders without app freeze.

A workable fix for me who has only a handful of projects, not sure this will be practical if you have hundreds of projects.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for posting what (mostly) worked for you.

The advantage of PhD automatically saving the project file to a OneDrive folder is that OneDrive keeps all versions of the .PhD file in the cloud, so you can select a copy from the version history tool on the OD website and restore that to your local computer folder.

In my experience, PhD may have trouble converting an existing .PhD file during the new version upgrade, but if you can use the workaround to get the program fully started, it will successfully convert the old project file once you open it from the file menu.

You can try that now to see if it can recover all your past projects, and you can simply open the new v12 file if anything goes wrong.
BRUNO T. [Avatar]
Member Location: France Joined: May 06, 2016 06:15 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
Dears,

had the same kind of issue this WE, trying to retrieve a .PHI file from PD11 tp PD12.
I was thinking about some older folders causing the issues, so :

• uninsyall pD12

• went :to PD12 folder in the "APP Data/cyberlink/.../PD12",

• renamed it as OLD (or I could have it suppressed.

• Re install

• ok !

I didn't try to retrive previous .phi and rebuild it (a kind of title with mask, etc.) and that's fine.

Bruno I7 950, 10 Go Ram, GTX960, SSD 256, HD 2 To, with professional music devices.
PD 14 since dec 2015.
optodata
[Post New]
Yes, deleting or renaming old .PHD files will cause the new version of PhotoDirector to create a new .PHD database file from scratch. However, you will lose all the previous work from the previous version and some people will need to try and recover as much as possible from the older .PHD file.