CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Snap to clip works ... sometimes. Anyone else notice this?
Reply to this topic
Grumpy Goat [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jul 22, 2019 16:08 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have "Enable Snap to Clips in Timeline" checked (ON) however it does NOT always work. This phenomenon started maybe since PD 18. Sometimes when I slide a slip from the right to the right edge of the clip I want to snap to, it simply proceeds right past the right edge, with no blue snap line.

I opened a ticket in Customer Support from the person where was not able to help, so I abandoned that avenue.

I DO have a workaround, but I should not have to do this - it should stay snapping to clips until I switch off this setting. The workaround is to hit the <Alt> key whenever the snap to clip stops working. It then starts back working ... for a time and then it stops again. The time which is works varies too, and sometimes it works pretty much for the rest of the editing session and other times for a few minutes.

I need this feature to stay on. Any ideas?
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5753 Offline
[Post New]
Thre are several posts about this already on the forum.

Oftentimes users aren't zoomed in enough for PD to accurately place the moved clip. Use the "+" key on the numeric keypad or click on the white circle with a "+" in it at the far lower left of the screen to see if that helps.
Grumpy Goat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thre are several posts about this already on the forum.

Oftentimes users aren't zoomed in enough for PD to accurately place the moved clip. Use the "+" key on the numeric keypad or click on the white circle with a "+" in it at the far lower left of the screen to see if that helps.

Thanks for your reply.

There may be several posts but are there any answers? I did do a search and maybe the subject line is not clear enough to catch my eye.

I do not think that zooming in is the issue, since I always zoom in the timeline so that the clip is wide enough. I just whipped together this example video to illustrate the problem. As you can see, I am zoomed in almost to the maximum. If PD can't the edge there then it is more blind than I am.

optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5753 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure what to tell you. I definitely see the issue you're having, yet snap to clip works as expected on my end even when zoomed out a fair ways.

In my video I see what you see when I've disabled snap to clip, yet when I enable it I get the clear "snag" as I pass over the clip edge and the vertical blue line shows up:

Grumpy Goat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure what to tell you. I definitely see the issue you're having, yet snap to clip works as expected on my end even when zoomed out a fair ways.

In my video I see what you see when I've disabled snap to clip, yet when I enable it I get the clear "snag" as I pass over the clip edge and the vertical blue line shows up:

I also see the behavior you describe when the setting is disabled, and there is no snapping - as expected. When I go into the settings and click OK - either after unclicking and reclicking, or simply verifying that it is checked - the snap works right afterwards. For a while before reverting to its intermittent fail behavior.

i suspect that this would have to be something the coders would have to troubleshoot and address. At least I have a workaround.

Today I entered another more serious issue regarding video exposure just before a transition. I have no workaround for that and I'm hoping a more experienced Power Director user could assist.
Reply to this topic