Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Snap to clip works ... sometimes. Anyone else notice this?
Grumpy Goat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 22, 2019 16:08 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have "Enable Snap to Clips in Timeline" checked (ON) however it does NOT always work. This phenomenon started maybe since PD 18. Sometimes when I slide a slip from the right to the right edge of the clip I want to snap to, it simply proceeds right past the right edge, with no blue snap line.

I opened a ticket in Customer Support from the person where was not able to help, so I abandoned that avenue.

I DO have a workaround, but I should not have to do this - it should stay snapping to clips until I switch off this setting. The workaround is to hit the <Alt> key whenever the snap to clip stops working. It then starts back working ... for a time and then it stops again. The time which is works varies too, and sometimes it works pretty much for the rest of the editing session and other times for a few minutes.

I need this feature to stay on. Any ideas?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thre are several posts about this already on the forum.

Oftentimes users aren't zoomed in enough for PD to accurately place the moved clip. Use the "+" key on the numeric keypad or click on the white circle with a "+" in it at the far lower left of the screen to see if that helps.
Grumpy Goat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thre are several posts about this already on the forum.

Oftentimes users aren't zoomed in enough for PD to accurately place the moved clip. Use the "+" key on the numeric keypad or click on the white circle with a "+" in it at the far lower left of the screen to see if that helps.

Thanks for your reply.

There may be several posts but are there any answers? I did do a search and maybe the subject line is not clear enough to catch my eye.

I do not think that zooming in is the issue, since I always zoom in the timeline so that the clip is wide enough. I just whipped together this example video to illustrate the problem. As you can see, I am zoomed in almost to the maximum. If PD can't the edge there then it is more blind than I am.

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure what to tell you. I definitely see the issue you're having, yet snap to clip works as expected on my end even when zoomed out a fair ways.

In my video I see what you see when I've disabled snap to clip, yet when I enable it I get the clear "snag" as I pass over the clip edge and the vertical blue line shows up:

Grumpy Goat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure what to tell you. I definitely see the issue you're having, yet snap to clip works as expected on my end even when zoomed out a fair ways.

In my video I see what you see when I've disabled snap to clip, yet when I enable it I get the clear "snag" as I pass over the clip edge and the vertical blue line shows up:

I also see the behavior you describe when the setting is disabled, and there is no snapping - as expected. When I go into the settings and click OK - either after unclicking and reclicking, or simply verifying that it is checked - the snap works right afterwards. For a while before reverting to its intermittent fail behavior.

i suspect that this would have to be something the coders would have to troubleshoot and address. At least I have a workaround.

Today I entered another more serious issue regarding video exposure just before a transition. I have no workaround for that and I'm hoping a more experienced Power Director user could assist.
John Watts 47 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2020 15:06 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure what to tell you. I definitely see the issue you're having, yet snap to clip works as expected on my end even when zoomed out a fair ways.

The blue line appears as you describe but in previous versions the cursor snaps to the end of the last clip. This does not happen in PowerDirector 19.
Grumpy Goat [Avatar]
[Post New]
The snap the clip started working properly again 100% percent of the time with the last update to the software.

A new problem cropped up with the last two updates of the software on my computer. Whenever you start up Power Director the playback is automatically muted and you have to manually go in and un-mute it every time. Anyone else notice this? There is no setting that affects this.