Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can PD do Boundary Tracking?
FlipDoobs1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 30, 2020 20:28 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello All - I'm a new user and interested in boundary tracking - e.g. drawing a border around property lines and tracking throughout the video. Is this possible?
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Depends a little on just what you want by 'boundary tracking'.
There are means to draw lines around a subject, and means to attach markers to objects which can move.
So, please clarify. Or link to a clip which does what you want to do
FlipDoobs1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Depends a little on just what you want by 'boundary tracking'.
There are means to draw lines around a subject, and means to attach markers to objects which can move.
So, please clarify. Or link to a clip which does what you want to do

Here is a sample. This was through plug-in with Final Cut Pro....vimeo.com/146626466
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Here's a working link to the Vimeo vid for anyone interested.

The short answer is that it's possible, although there aren't any plug-ins to automate the process. Please see this post for more details.
FlipDoobs1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Here's a working link to the Vimeo vid for anyone interested.

The short answer is that it's possible, although there aren't any plug-ins to automate the process. Please see this post for more details.

Thank you - I looked at the other post and went to the packed project but its for FCP using the Drive X plugin. Is there a solution for PowerDirector?

Thanks Again
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Oh wow. The OneDrive folder in my post had the OP's original video and I made a new version showing how PD could overlay new boundaries on top of the original. When I created that post 2 years ago, I packed the PDS project and included it so other people could download it and work with it on their own PC. That's why I referred you to it.

However, something has gone wrong and the PDS file is no longer present in that folder. All the supporting graphics are still there, but without the project file there's no way to share how I did it.

I'm afraid that the best I can do is to try and re-create the project using PD18 so you can work with it, but I don't know how long it'll take me to do that.

I'll post back here as soon as it's ready. So much for cloud storage being a perfect solution to never losing an important file yell
optodata
[Post New]
OK I got something up and running!

You should now be able to download the contents of that folder and double click on the PDR18 Boundary Overlay project and see what I did. Don't bother watching the FCP video, I only used a small section to overlay boundaries on in blue using PD18.

For your projects, you'd want to take a screenshot of the view you want to mark, then use a free app like GIMP or Paint.net to create lines or the full shape with a transparent background. Use individual lines if your clip has a low flying drone like at the end, or a full shape if the view is mostly from farther away.

Then place the overlay on a lower track so it appears "on top of" your clip. What I did was to align the overlay at the start and place keyframes for Scale, Position, Rotation and Freeform and then go to the end and adjust the image as needed to line up. PD will automatically place ketframes for any setting that gets changed and will automatically interpolate the changes in between.

If the motion is smooth across the clip, that's all you should need to do, but if there are any speed or direction changes (and there are speed changes in both of these shots) you'll have to add more keyframes where the changes occur and/or at the midpoint so that the boundary lines will more closely track the parcel.

As I mentioned in the linked post, you may notice some jiggling when the blue lines are drawn over the white ones, but those kinds of imperfections are much less noticeable if your lines are the only ones on the screen.
FlipDoobs1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK I got something up and running!

You should now be able to download the contents of that folder and double click on the PDR18 Boundary Overlay project and see what I did. Don't bother watching the FCP video, I only used a small section to overlay boundaries on in blue using PD18.

For your projects, you'd want to take a screenshot of the view you want to mark, then use a free app like GIMP or Paint.net to create lines or the full shape with a transparent background. Use individual lines if your clip has a low flying drone like at the end, or a full shape if the view is mostly from farther away.

Then place the overlay on a lower track so it appears "on top of" your clip. What I did was to align the overlay at the start and place keyframes for Scale, Position, Rotation and Freeform and then go to the end and adjust the image as needed to line up. PD will automatically place ketframes for any setting that gets changed and will automatically interpolate the changes in between.

If the motion is smooth across the clip, that's all you should need to do, but if there are any speed or direction changes (and there are speed changes in both of these shots) you'll have to add more keyframes where the changes occur and/or at the midpoint so that the boundary lines will more closely track the parcel.

As I mentioned in the linked post, you may notice some jiggling when the blue lines are drawn over the white ones, but those kinds of imperfections are much less noticeable if your lines are the only ones on the screen.

Thanks so much - I've downloaded the sample and will try creating one this week. Appreciate your time and assistance!
Pierre007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2020 11:21 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks so much - I've downloaded the sample and will try creating one this week. Appreciate your time and assistance!

so there is nothing in PD 365 like after effect has(mocha) ...

It sad , really ....
optodata
[Post New]
The best way to let CL know that you'd like to see this feature is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu.
Pierre007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The best way to let CL know that you'd like to see this feature is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu.

Optodata,
do you know another program that I dont have to pay again for PC?
Drivex by corelmelt seems to be for apple
Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 19. 2020 19:39

optodata
[Post New]
Sorry, I don't have any idea.

I can see why it would help to have a plug-in like that but I haven't ever had a need to do that in my own projects. I created the process in the other post because I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to help out fellow PD users. It's actually straightforward to put up a tracked shape but it take lots more effort if there are speed/direction changes.
Pierre007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry, I don't have any idea.

I can see why it would help to have a plug-in like that but I haven't ever had a need to do that in my own projects. I created the process in the other post because I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to help out fellow PD users. It's actually straightforward to put up a tracked shape but it take lots more effort if there are speed/direction changes.

in my case its for showing landscape, but they wont do it , im pretty and if they dont , will have to switch to adobe ...