Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to overlay Real Estate graphics that maintain perspective to video motion??
Tim2775
Newbie Location: Mississippi Joined: Nov 04, 2014 14:14 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to overlay property boundries and graphics for Real Estate video. Here are 2 examples marked at the correct time.
https://youtu.be/lOp9eC6P7_A?t=27https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOp9eC6P7_A
https://youtu.be/jmM2MKKfm6g?t=9

One is using a plugin for Aftereffects and the other I don't know. So I know there are plugins for Premier that do this. Can anyone tell me if there is a way for me to do this in PD17?

Thanks!
Tim
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
This is so much easier to do in a program designed to work with motion graphics. Trying to force it out of PowerDirector will be more trouble than it's worth.

After Effects can do motion graphics, and HitFilm Pro (a little cheaper) includes a plugin for motion graphics. Motion graphics software will lock into an image in virtual 3D space and change size and shape as your video's view of the image changes (as in the video you linked to).

The motion tracking in PowerDirector are good but not nearly that sophisticated.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'll actually disagree a little with StevenG's statement that trying to do this on PD is more trouble than it's worth wink

I completely agree that it's not going to be as simple as (it looks to be) with a dedicated plug in, but I also don't think that placing an outline or overlay is necessarily going to be tedious, especially if you're able to use shots with steady, linear motion.

You could add the overlays first, sizing and placing everything precisely at the start of the clip with keyframes, and then skip to the end and resize everything there. It can actually be this simple!

If there are changes in perspective along the route, you'll simply need to make the appropriate changes to the shape of the object.

I spent some time figuring out how to do all of this , but the editing time for the first clip where the drone is high was maybe 15 minutes. The second clip (low flight) took much longer, mostly because I was trying to use keyframes to stretch/distort the rectangle.

That's clearly not worth the time it would take, but by using 4 individual lines, I got it to work much better. However, low flights will be 2x-4x more work than higher flights, so keep that in mind when planning your project.

Here's the video I made, showing blue borders on the second clip you linked to:

Please note that all of the noticeable jitter is because I chose to overlay the existing white boundaries to show how closely just those few keyframes would track. At the beginning and end of the first clip, where the white border is not shown, you can see how smooth the blue overlay actually tracks.

Also, I've packed the project (which you can download from here) so you can see the edits I made, and also play around with them to get a better sense of what's involved.

As I wrote above, I placed keyframes at the start and end, and then only added "correction" keyframes at the point where the line/obect deviated the most from where it was supposed to be. PD calculated all of the points in between, so your job is really just to nudge it into place where needed.

I hope this helps!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18. 2018 11:30

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Nice work optodata!

Hi Tim -

I'm not sure if you're the same Tim from Mississippi as in this thread but what I suggested there was to use a freeze frame - definitely not as elegant as overlaying over the panned drone shot, but much simpler.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!