Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't Open .MOV in PD v.18
KFarm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2020 15:29 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Thank you for taking the time to read this inquiry.

I have .mov (container) files made with a Panasonic HC-x1500 camera and I can't open them in PD. I can't view them in Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player. I CAN convert them with VLC to .mp4 files and then open them in PD.

I've looked around the forum for a solution. There are some old discussions with old solutions on old PD versions. Many people say that I need the codecs I'd get if I install Apple's QuickTime. Maybe that's the solution. But, as you know, QT is no longer supported. There are also several options to convert the .mov files to another container (e.g. AVI or MP3) and move on with it - But I'd like a direct-to-PD solution, if there is one.

I use Windows X, 64-bit and the two .mov files I recorded are:
1.) 1080 - 59.94 Progressive 4.2.2. Intra-frame with a bitrate of 200 Mbps
and
2.) 1080 - 29.97 Progressive 4.2.2. Long GOP with a bitrate of 50 Mbps

I'm using PD v. 18.6.3120.0

I'm sorry if I missed the solution elsewhere in the forum. This is my first post here.

Russ
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Searching the forum should have pointed you to the suggestion to install QTLite instead of Apple's QuickTime.

Let us know if installing that lets you edit your MOV clips.
[Post New]
Quote But I'd like a direct-to-PD solution, if there is one.

Under Windows there was not a direct solution. Apple controlled their format licensing and by that only QTime was commercially "approved" for use. That QTime for Windows has a huge security flaw and more, it's update was discontinued by Apple.
https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

I would not use QT or any alternatives (not updated since around 2010) on my machine. You can still convert the files in mp4 like you were doing before (VLC or Handbrake).
Or use the camera's application converter.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 08. 2020 07:51

KFarm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2020 15:29 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Under Windows there was not a direct solution. Apple controlled their format licensing and by that only QTime was commercially "approved" for use. That QTime for Windows has a huge security flaw and more, it's update was discontinued by Apple.
https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

I would not use QT or any alternatives (not updated since around 2010) on my machine. You can still convert the files in mp4 like you were doing before (VLC or Handbrake).
Or use the camera's application converter.

Thank you. I saw the risks with QT-Lite and I will not use it either. I apprecieate your insight and attention to my question.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I would not use QT or any alternatives (not updated since around 2010) on my machine. You can still convert the files in mp4 like you were doing before (VLC or Handbrake).

You can't convert transparent MOV files and retain alpha transparency. Obviously that's not an issue with phone recordings, but some version of QT needs to be installed to to work with transparent MOV clips.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Camera manufacturers continue to use QuickTime codecs. A lot of users buy cameras that record .mov files. It can’t be that bad. I have an iphone and ipad that records in .mov. The older iphones and the ipads can record in a constant frame rate if you shoot in sunlight.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Camera manufacturers continue to use QuickTime codecs. A lot of users buy cameras that record .mov files. It can’t be that bad. I have an iphone and ipad that records in .mov. The older iphones and the ipads can record in a constant frame rate if you shoot in sunlight.

I've found it odd the PD specs claims format compatibility with "MOV (H.264/HEVC/alpha PNG/Apple ProRes 10bit 4:2:2)" https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/specs_en_US.html but my experience is that you can't achieve that without QuickTime installed? They used to bundle and install QT in prior releases but not since Apple discontinued. How does one claim support, if you need a product not included in your purchase?

Other video utilities handle MOV container fine without QT installed, I somehow think it might be related to CL implementation perhaps? Keep in mind, PD used to be able to produce to MOV container, but that was removed.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2020 23:19

Oliverz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 01, 2020 07:32 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
Hm -. MOV or QuickTime is unsafe ....What exactly should be unsave if I only look at .mov files from my camera? Which file format is not unsafe today ?! If I move around the Internet with my brain and don't click on everything that is offered in an email, nothing will happen ... QuickTime is therefore just as secure as everything else

Yes, the correct codecs are required for MOV, HEVC etc.! Some are not included for security reasons, others for licensing reasons and must be installed at your own risk. Some are installed with the installation of the necessary player, others have to be installed with a Coecpack. For example, under Windows 10 the HEVC Codec can be installed via the MS Store.

To be mindful and to find out what could cause what damage when and how you have to deal with it that you are still safe, is certainly highly recommended! But it is not necessary in general. MOV, QuickTime and the like. damn it ...
Just because we could now be exposed to the Coroan virus doesn't mean everyone walks around in a protective suit ... a mask and turning on your brain when behaving in public is enough!

Despite everything, not every .mov file has to be played back correctly - a video converter is often still required ...
For stubborn files, I use Wondershare Videokonverter - with it I have converted every .mov file correctly and imho losslessly to MP4.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 09. 2020 03:58

Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
[Post New]
Quote Hm -. MOV or QuickTime is unsafe ....What exactly should be unsafe if I only look at .mov files from my camera?

In the above link there were details about what's unsafe. Basically you don't need to open any video files, it's sufficient that is only installed on your computer and you visit a web page that has malicios code embedded in it.
See below the detailes for avisories:

https://www.zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-16-241/
https://www.zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-16-242/

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 09. 2020 08:10

Oliverz [Avatar]
[Post New]
One can also be overly cautious ...
I've installed everything that is supposed to be unsafe and has never had a problem with it for decades ...
In the Internet you shouldn't turn off your brain and Fiewall, virus scanner etc. support you
Otherwise you should only have a Linux with FireFox browser installed in a "Sandbox" (e.g. VMWare) for surfing - it couldn't be more secure ....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 10. 2020 01:51

Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
optodata
[Post New]
To muddy the waters even further, CL's own ScreenRecorders 2, 3 and 4 record in Quicktime:

Only the original SR records using the Sony PSP codec (MSNV (MSNV/Isom/mp42)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes, the correct codecs are required for MOV, HEVC etc.! Some are not included for security reasons, others for licensing reasons and must be installed at your own risk. Some are installed with the installation of the necessary player, others have to be installed with a Coecpack. For example, under Windows 10 the HEVC Codec can be installed via the MS Store.

Not really, the HEVC was kind of an interim solution from the Microsoft store depending on WIN10 version a user had, they bundled it with WIN10 updates starting at like v1809. So it's a OS feature, not a third party codec like QT.

I run with no other codec packs other than QT to get PD18 to function with MOV files, even CL in FAQ's cautions against Storm Codec or K-Lite Codec pack as doing so may cause PD conflict issues.

If QT is integral for claimed supported features, it should be bundled with the install like previous PD versions or a substitute package offered with the install that's compatible with CL PD MOV implementation.

Jeff
Oliverz [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is idle to discuss what would or should be nice - if the required codedec is not available, it has to be installed later. Whether this is done from the MS store, or you have to install a plaer like QuickTime or an additional codec pack is secondary!
Whether this codec could possibly be unsafe - there is always a corresponding risk - what is considered safe today may already be unsafe tomorrow ...
Everyone has to know how to deal with it

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 10. 2020 02:39

Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
This issue has arisen with every editor I've had contact with. And the essence of it is not about the QT player, but about the QT codecs.

Several years ago, Us DoD issued a blunt do not use directive to US government agencies after Apple refused to fix security issues with the QT player. HOWEVER the codecs used by QT for MOV video are not affected. And you can still install just the codecs.

This is a video clip on Youtube about what the effect of no mov codecs in 3 editors is, and how to install just the codecs to remedy that situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lDOgqO_fVk&t
[Post New]
Quote HOWEVER the codecs used by QT for MOV video are not affected. And you can still install just the codecs.

With codecs installed at system level, just browsing on a web page that has a malicious mov file it will infect the computer.
The alternative - to convert with VLC or Handbrake is safer because those don't add any "hooks" into the system's browser. They won't automatically run on a random webpage.
See what Apple says:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205771

"Removing legacy browser plug-ins enhances the security of your PC."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 10. 2020 03:49

Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To muddy the waters even further, CL's own ScreenRecorders 2, 3 and 4 record in Quicktime:

Only the original SR records using the Sony PSP codec (MSNV (MSNV/Isom/mp42)

Really??? LOL!!!!
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This issue has arisen with every editor I've had contact with. And the essence of it is not about the QT player, but about the QT codecs.

Several years ago, Us DoD issued a blunt do not use directive to US government agencies after Apple refused to fix security issues with the QT player. HOWEVER the codecs used by QT for MOV video are not affected. And you can still install just the codecs.

This is a video clip on Youtube about what the effect of no mov codecs in 3 editors is, and how to install just the codecs to remedy that situation

Thanks David!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 10. 2020 13:10