Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Upgrade from PD 18 ultimate to 365
Oliverz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 01, 2020 07:32 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
Hello!
I currently have PD 18 ultimate - if I want to access all sorts of pictures or music I obviously need PD 365 ...
So if I upgrade to version 365, do I have to reinstall my existing Ultimate version or do I just get a different serial number, etc.?
Can I then automatically access all available sounds in "Background Music" (will they be displayed there)?
If I only buy a monthly license, can I continue to use my existing Ultimate version after this license has expired? Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You should be able to leave the PD18 Ultimate installed. The DZ downloads are able to be shared by all versions of PD you have installed. The exclusive PD 365 contents are available only to this version as they are installed in separate folders. The use of PD 365 ends if you don’t renew the subscription. PD18 and it’s content can still be used at any time.
Oliverz [Avatar]
[Post New]
I relied on the statement and bought and installed PowerDirector 365 - WHERE IS MY POWER DIRECTOR 18 ULTIMATE VERSION NOW ?! The program folder is empty - it looks like this recently purchased and paid version has been uninstalled!
It's not like I want to work with both versions at the same time, but if I don't renew the 365 subscription, I want to be able to continue working with my PD18Ultimate version! Do I have to / can I simply reinstall it?
And why didn't PD365 take over the settings of my PD18 version? Why do I have to specify all paths etc. again now? Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It matters if you paid for an upgrade to PD365, which will uninstall the version you upgraded from, or if you paid for the full subscription, which would leave PD18 installed.

In both cases, all existing custom and downloaded content should remain on your hard drives but it's possible that some FX packs that were included with PD18 Ultimate but not in the subscription version were removed. See this post for more info.

You should not have to manually add paths and track things down. You may want to try uninstalling PD365, reinstalling PD18 and then installing PD365 again.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Oliverz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you - i paid a upgrade ....
Is also not a problem - if I can use the 18 ultimate again later (license is retained).
In the meantime I have changed all the paths again - a new installation would only mean more work wink
I have the impression that the 365 version runs more smoothly ... I also didn't manage to undock the library window in the 18 ultimate - it works in the 365 version.
Is that really the case or am I just imagining it? Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It matters if you paid for an upgrade to PD365, which will uninstall the version you upgraded from, or if you paid for the full subscription, which would leave PD18 installed.

I don't think so in this case, PD365 simply includes PD18 Ultimate. You can't have two PD18's installed simultaneously unless one has multiple boot systems or takes other appropriate action.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2020 17:10

Oliverz [Avatar]
[Post New]
If the installation routine does not ask for this and installs / removes it accordingly, that is no problem - you can specify the installation path in each case (this also works with MS Office - I also installed 2 versions in parallel ...).
It is interesting, however, that the PD18Ultimate was installed in "Program Files / Cyberlink / PowerDirector18", version 365 can now be found in Program Files (x86) / Cyberlink / PowerDirector18 ".
Lt. Description on the website contains PowerDirector 365 the 18 Ultimate Version ... Something still seems to be different - because I find the 365 version to be more smooth (preview) in handling.
It doesn't matter, as long as everything works as I want and when I cancel my subscription I can reinstall and use my 18 ultimate version, everything is OK. Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If the installation routine does not ask for this and installs / removes it accordingly, that is no problem - you can specify the installation path in each case (this also works with MS Office - I also installed 2 versions in parallel ...).

Not really for PD18. Yes, you can specify a different install directory, but PD18 will still put a significant amount of the install on C:\ which the location is common between your two install attempts. So they are in no way isolated independent installs.

Additionally, you only have one set of registry key details for the PD18 product install, they will get modified based on last product installed. My guess is the PD18 installer will always remove the PD18 product if one was installed, be it Ultra, Ultimate, 365, or DS365. Keep in mind, the install of the base PD18 product is the same, the difference in product behavior is defined by the license set and additional content.

Jeff
Oliverz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you - that explains everything! But I have to say that the 365 version is obviously the better choice anyway. The handling is smoother, there is a larger pool of freely available files, the version seems to be more up-to-date ... Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you - that explains everything! But I have to say that the 365 version is obviously the better choice anyway. The handling is smoother, there is a larger pool of freely available files, the version seems to be more up-to-date ...

The smoother handling, maybe but also doubtful, it could be just some pref settings differences. But keep in mind if you look at your PD18 about box with the 365 product you will probably see at least 18.6.3019 maybe now even 18.7 vs the best for the perpetual key of 18.0.2725. It's very unclear what fixes went into the 18.X dot release, very poorly defined/communicated and often a very generic statement too like "Other minor bug fixes" but 18.6.3019 did include some UI changes. There have been cases that things were broken completely with some of these pushed dot releases that the subscription community gets but not perpetual so a mixed bag of "better" choice as an editor. But yes, access to lots of content if of interest.

Jeff
Oliverz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you again Liebe Grüße / Regards
Oliver