Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blu-Ray Disk Burning Process doesn't finish in Cyberlink Powerdirector 10
IMakeDVD's [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 24, 2018 20:06 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I know that cyberlink powedirector 10 is an older version of powerdirector, regardless Here I am using it. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I've been having lately concerning the burn DVD option on Cyberlink Powerdirector 10. I was trying to burn a roughly 38/40 Gigabyte project to a Blu-ray disk using cybelink Powerdirector 10 and so I clicked the burn in 2D icon, and everything was fine until 5/10/15/20 minutes later when I came back to check the burning process of my project and it had and has been freezing at different points in the "Authoring" process. I have attempted to Burn my project to Blu-ray for the past two weeks attempting different things like Switching between MPEG-2 Video Encoding to H.264 (which is preferably more ideal) and tweaking different settings in the settings panel. In spite of the things I changed, nothing seemed to have worked. the burning process freezes at points like 21%, 49%, 45%, and 51%. After the process freezes the entire program freezes and causes Cyberlink Powerdirector 10 to become unresponsive. I am forced to do nothing else but close the program and reopen it, sometimes having to restart my computer. Now please note that my computer isn't just any typical internet browsing laptop but has an Intel core i5, 16GB of ram, a GTX 1060 graphics card, and 1tb of storage. Given the above specifications of my computer you would think that my computer would have no or few issues running the burning process. but unfortunately that is currently not the case. I was just wandering If anyone had any ideas on what I should try. I am truly out of ideas and am pressed for time as this is a project I started to create a gift for a friend. and yes I allready tried burning to folder, that didn't work. I am also including a screenshot example of what happens when I try to burn the project.
 Filename
Screenshot.png
[Disk]
 Description
9 hour long failed burn.
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Please read this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50105.page and attach the DxDiag.txt on your next post and the exact version of PD10 that you are using.
IMakeDVD's [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Please read this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50105.page and attach the DxDiag.txt on your next post and the exact version of PD10 that you are using.

Here is the dxdiag file and a screenshot of the powerdirector 10 about panel.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag.txt
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
200 time(s)
 Filename
Power Director 10 About Panel.png
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot of about panel.
 Filesize
137 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well, you're running a fairly limited edition of PD10, the software is 7 years out of date, and you aren't even running the final version (2231), which was released back in 2014. I'm not 100% certain that you'll be able to apply the patch since you don't have the full version, but it's worth a try.

Also, the issue is much more likely to be software related, since PD10 was written for Win 7 and the update got it to Win 8. The latest nVidia drivers won't work at all, so stay with the 388.13 version you have installed, or maybe try 411.70 for the most recent one that might still work.

You can also try turning off hardware acceleration under preferences, and not using the Fast video rendering (or similarly worded) option when producing/creating a disc.

If none of those fix the crash, you can try downloading the trial version of PD17 and see if it will burn your project successfully. Note that if you make any changes to your project and save it, you won't be able to open it in PD10, so be sure to save a new copy just for PD17.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 29. 2019 18:02

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
IMakeDVD's [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Well, you're running a fairly limited edition of PD10, the software is 7 years out of date, and you aren't even running the final version (2231), which was released back in 2014. I'm not 100% certain that you'll be able to apply the patch since you don't have the full version, but it's worth a try.

Also, the issue is much more likely to be software related, since PD10 was written for Win 7 and the update got it to Win 8. The latest nVidia drivers won't work at all, so stay with the 388.13 version you have installed, or maybe try 411.70 for the most recent one that might still work.

You can also try turning off hardware acceleration under preferences, and not using the Fast video rendering (or similarly worded) option when producing/creating a disc.

If none of those fix the crash, you can try downloading the trial version of PD17 and see if it will burn your project successfully. Note that if you make any changes to your project and save it, you won't be able to open it in PD10, so be sure to save a new copy just for PD17.

Do you think there might be a way I could copy my project files to a Windows 7 hypervisor and try burning it to there??? I'm not sure if that's a possibility.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the information. You are running a 64 bit win 10 and trying to use a mediasuite version of PD10. Windows 10 compatibility with PowerDirector started with a patch for PD13. There are no patches to give this compatibility to the older versions. Disc authoring and burning failed with the PD12 versions.

You can pack the project, move it to a win 7 or win 8 computer with PD10 or later installed and then edit, author and burn a disc. You can also open the project on your pc if you have PD17 installed.
IMakeDVD's [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for the information. You are running a 64 bit win 10 and trying to use a mediasuite version of PD10. Windows 10 compatibility with PowerDirector started with a patch for PD13. There are no patches to give this compatibility to the older versions. Disc authoring and burning failed with the PD12 versions.

You can pack the project, move it to a win 7 or win 8 computer with PD10 or later installed and then edit, author and burn a disc. You can also open the project on your pc if you have PD17 installed.

Thanks for all your help, I think I have an Idea on how I am going to go about this. burning dvd projects don't work in powedirector 17 trial version, unless your willing to pay money for the non-trial version.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
IMakeDVD's, lots of interesting statements and compatibility claims, however, attached pic shows PD10, no not the HE3D version but probably immaterial here since it too supports BD burn, running on latest WIN10 and successfully creating a full 25GB burn to BD folder with menu. The folder could then be burned to BD disc with basic WIN10 drag and drop via explorer.

Sounds like you have some plan, in my view, PD10 route is possible. Usually involves some simple trial and error debugging.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD10_BDCreate.png]
 Filename
PD10_BDCreate.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
978 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - PD10_WIN101903.png]
 Filename
PD10_WIN101903.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
945 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
IMakeDVD's [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, yeah so I saw some responses from people saying that Powerdirector 10 was designed for Windows 7, So I installed Windows 7 alongside my windows 10 OS. I got everything setup and produced a dxdiag text document again. Could someone review it and tell me if, according to the dxdiag, if I should be able to run the Cyberlink burning function now? Thanks!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
185 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Win 7 doesn't "see" your nVidia card correctly and has loaded a generic driver for it. That basically means you won't be able to use any hardware acceleration/encoding, but you can go ahead and try burning your project on this new setup.

If you want to see if you can get your nVidia GTX 1060 working on Win7, try installing this driver.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
IMakeDVD's [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, So I burned my project to a Blu-ray disk successfully.... just not the way I had wanted to. After setting up my Windows 7 os I downloaded a driver for my graphics card, a GTX 1060 and I started up the Cyberlink Powerdirector 10 software. After starting the softwate I clicked the "burn in 2D button". I started the burning proccess thinking that since I had the software running on Windows 7 I didn't have to turn off or change any features within the program. as far as I could tell, I was wrong because PowerDirector 10 Halted on 77% (see the screenshot below) in the middle of the Disk Authoring Process two times in a row. After the second time Powerdirector 10 Stuck at 77%. I decided to tweak the project settings Before I started my third attempt. I turned off Hardware encoding and Changed H.264 to Mpeg-2. After my tweaking, the project finally burned to the Blu-ray disk. Everything was fine with the Blu-ray disk except for the audio quality, it was horrible. The audio was all distorted and sort-of grainy sounding. I beleive the problem with the audio was that I chose Dolby Audio instead of LPCM (a lossless audio format) and I had Cyberlink Truetheater Surround turned on.The thing is with LPCM is that it takes a heck of a lot of space on the disk and the only way I can have that option enabled is by also enabling H.264 video encoding, instead of Mpeg-2. If it were possible to enable H.264 without the program halting that would be great, because H.264 is better and requires less space thus allowing me to enable LPCM. I was wondering if there is something I could do to still have H.264 enabled. I included a fresh version of the Dxdiag file prior to the Nvidia graphics card driver installed. Thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated.
[Thumb - MPEG Burn.png]
 Filename
MPEG Burn.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
85 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
192 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have been sucessfull burning in every version of PD except in the 32 bit version in the past for h.264 encoded Blu-rays in which I had to use amd encoding to be successful or else it was just too slow. You should not enable hardware encoding with the nvidia 1060 video card in the final burn window as the authored menu will not work. Nvidia encoding is okay with the older 5 series card which were made about the time PD10 was created. I have always used Dolby Digital audio with no problems. In the timeline I always reduce the track volume to below the yellow peaks warnings (audio distortion on any project).

It looks like you have possibly the latest Nvidia and Realtek drivers for win 7 installed already.

Others may have different opinions on this. You may want to try it on windows 10 again but in the win 7 or xp compatibility mode. It may or may not work for you. If it works then it would help other users who have the older software if you post the information.