where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
powerdirector on multiple pc's ?
Reply to this topic
FROMNOW [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Dec 26, 2018 18:46 Messages: 73 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

I plan on buying the 365. Can I install the programs on more than one pc ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 3751 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello

Yes, but you are only allowed to use one at a time. So desktop and laptop installs are fully legit.

There also seems to be a hard limit of 3 (or possibly 4) installs before you get a warning stating that you can't install on another machine until you remove it from another one.
PowerDirector Moderator
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 671 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello

Hi,

The licensing criteria for PDR17 are laid out in the EULA (which you will have to accept when you install PDR)
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=23377&prodId=4&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=EULA

You may also have a local copy after installation - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\AppManager\EULA and C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector17\Eula

The starting point might be this clause:
"....CyberLink, as licensor, grants to you, the licensee, a non-exclusive right to download and/or install the accompanying PowerDirector software program(s) (hereinafter the "SOFTWARE") on a certain number of computer(s)/ device(s) in accordance with the number of the license(s) you purchased and use the SOFTWARE in accordance with the terms contained in this license......"

but I would recommend you read the EULA and check all the applicable sections for yourself.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 3751 Offline
[Post New]
This page is specific to DS 365 subscription licenses, and it's what I based my response on.

I have also run into the hard limit recently when upgrading hardware and doing a full Win10 reinstall on two machines, and in one case I had to restore the old system image to remove DS365 before I could reinstall it on the same machine after resetting Win10.
youtube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | 8 Core/16T i9-9900K (4.8GHz) | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 6TB SSDs

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | HF S200 (HD 30p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FROMNOW [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Dec 26, 2018 18:46 Messages: 73 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you to both of you !!
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
My opinion of CL's approach to single license per PC / laptop is rather self defeating in today's video / IT approach to on site editing then pulling it together at home base.

Other editors seem to allow a wider distribution.

allowing two uses per license, would satisfy most users.

If users want to use a second copy, there are ways to get around the problem. Second page on a web search can take you to places you should not go! It would be wiser for CL to accept this is a problem and take action to prevent piracy and encourage a better thought solution.

Fortunately I have a previous PD licence for an earlier version which runs on my laptop. Obviously PDS files may not be backward compatible, but early editing is very useful.

Just a thought

rgds
Reply to this topic