Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produce as separate clips?
AdrieH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2017 10:38 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

just wondering if maybe I'm overlooking something: is there a way in PD 17 to produce a movie as separate clips?
I mean every used clip as a separate mp4 in one go? ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell XPS desktop - Win10Home 64bit - 24GB RAM- Intel i7 6700 3.4GHz - Seagate 2TB HD
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
A quick forum search would give you lots of examples. This one should help: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64367.page#293112

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AdrieH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Optodata. But unfortunately that's not quite what I'm looking for.

I know I can produce only a part of my movie using the in-out range. In fact I use that a lot for testing purposes. But what I want to do is produce all my clips on the timeline as separate mp4's in one go. I currently have 112 clips on the timeline and if I have to render those one after another using the in-out range method it will take me a lot of time. So I was wondering if it can be done faster by telling PD I don't want those clips as 1 movie, but as 112 seperate ones.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2018 14:24

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell XPS desktop - Win10Home 64bit - 24GB RAM- Intel i7 6700 3.4GHz - Seagate 2TB HD
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Got it. Thanks for clarifying what you're looking to do.

Since PD is designed to do essentially the opposite of that - to combine many separate clips into a single output - I don't know of any way to do what you're looking for without at least a couple of editing steps for every single individual clip.

I assume that you've done some preliminary editing work on each clip, like trimming or resizing or applying some correction/effect. If that's the case I can think two ways to go about it.

The first would be a variation of my original suggestion, but maybe you disable the main track (or all of them, if you're using several) and then drag the clip of interest to the starting location of an unused track. Then you can either use the Produce Range technique or temporarily delete all the other clips before producing.

Obviously you'd want to undo the huge delete and single clip move after you've produced each clip, but that's the most efficient method I can think of to get every clip produced.

Another approach would be to similarly pull out one clip at a time and make it the only timeline clip, then use Save As to give it a unique project name. PD has a Batch Produce feature that will let you queue up many projects to all be produced at once, but as far as I'm aware, you'll have to manually set the producing profile for every project prior to starting the batch process, which is probably more work than producing each clip on its own.

Maybe other members have other suggestions, or might know how to set a single batch production profile. There may also be some benefits in nesting the newly created projects from your original, but I don't have nay experience with that as yet.

I guess the bigger question for me would be - why are you wanting to produce everything separately? Is it to "bake in" some processor-demanding edits on the individual clips so you can speed up editing performance with your main project?

That would make sense and it might even be worth the time and extra steps involved, and if not, maybe you could tell us what you're hoping to accomplish and that might trigger some other ideas...

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

AdrieH [Avatar]
[Post New]
I guess the bigger question for me would be - why are you wanting to produce everything separately?

Well, maybe I want it for the wrong reasons. I'm trying to restore and enhance some 28 year old noisy, grainy, flat colored footage. As much as I like using PD17, I really hate it that for serious color correction, denoising etc. I have to open every clip in Colordirector one after another, make my corrections, go back to PD and repeat ... The constantly switching between programs for me is a PITA. It just doesn't feel fluid and I hate it. So I thought maybe I can do the preliminary editing in PD17 and then use Resolve for all the color correction work.
But right now as I'm typing this, I think I've found my own work-around: do all the rough editing in PD17, produce as 1 movie and then load in Resolve, and use the Resolve scene detect function to get back to my separate clips. : ----------------------------------------------------------------------
optodata
[Post New]
Quote ...
But right now as I'm typing this, I think I've found my own work-around: do all the rough editing in PD17, produce as 1 movie and then load in Resolve, and use the Resolve scene detect function to get back to my separate clips.

That certainly sounds a LOT easier than what you've been doing, and it's certainly less time and effort than my proposed workaround.

Sometimes it helps to just spell out the problem to another person, and I'm glad you seem to have found a better way forward. Happy Editing (and color correcting)! cool

YouTube/optodata