Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 crashes when selecting item from left menu
burgesb1970 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2007 15:38 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I recently purchased, downloaded and installed PD8. The install looked as though it went OK but when I start PD8 and try and select anything from the left menu, such as titles or transitions, PD8 crashes. I've raised a support ticket and they have provided me with latest download file and various other thing to try and correct the problem, all of which have failed. I have uninstalled, run windows cleanup, cleared regedit, reinstalled but PD8 still crashes. The latest advice is to install on another PC, which I will try later today.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

What's the spec of your system please?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
Part B

Please attach a diagnostic file.

Thanks

Dafydd

burgesb1970 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I've attached the DxDiag.

The strange thing is the files installed OK on another machine. Also, on the PC where PD8 crashes the icon for PD8 is blue, whereas on the OK PC the icon is black. I think I removed all trace of PD7 in regedit.

Any ideas?
 Filename
Dxdiag_CS000704757.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
454 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi (first name?),

I've experienced the blue to black icon thing and so has Adrian. It was part of the beta issue we observed. It hasn't come back for either of us and I don't think it was a problem. I think it was likely a icon carry over since some exe's have a variety of icons within them we can select.

I'm concerned at the low ram you have and 128mb might be now considered low for the graphics.

What was the spec of the PC you installed to?

I would shut down everything that's unneeded and any background running software. Anti-Virus, Internet connection, Firewall,

You've now got a lower end platform which is going to struggle and will only cope with miniDV and mpeg2 type video and NOT HD.

For example. I'm about to install a 1gb graphics card because I know it will help me with visual display of HD video. My 256mb card has coped but i want to edit 1080p HD video without a worry on a quad core set up.

Dafydd

Dafydd

burgesb1970 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I've attached the DxDiag for the PC it worked on. 2GHz centrino, 1GB Ram, 256M video Ram.

If there was a problem with the spec of the PC I would expect the PC just to run slowly, not just to crash.

Thanks for your help so far.

Bevan
 Filename
DxDiag_laptop.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1538 time(s)
burgesb1970 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Would a new motherboard with onboard graphics such as an ASUS P5G41-M do the job ?

Thanks
Bevan
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
I would steer clear of on-board graphics when considering video editing

My system is one I put together:

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP43-DS3L
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTS 250
Display Memory: 1024.0 MB

It is not "top spec" or cutting edge, though the graphic's card is "pretty good".
Ensure the PC's Power Unit is large enough.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2009 08:17

burgesb1970 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice Dafydd. I'm still hoping the offical support ticket may help with investigation. However, the last comms I had was that I had installed PD8 delux instead of ultra when I was only sent a link to the ultra software and the 'about' box states that the ultra is installed.