Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rotating Library images
[Post New]
Ok so I have 500 holiday photo images in the library and a bunch of them need to be rotated prior to adding to the timeline to make a slideshow.

After doing about 8 to 10 it gives up. I thought, you won't get me that way - I'll just close down, log off, log on, restart PD7 and continue rotating where I left off. So I repeated this drawn out operation several times before I got all the snaps rotated but you can see that the hesitant jerky motion is only going to last for a few more photos.

While going through this very lengthy process I did find out that if you choose to edit the photo it appears in the edit window the correct way up! And if you change it and save it it goes back in the library the correct way up and next to the original (which is still on its side of course). But of course using this way to rotate your many images is just a little, shall we say, tedious.

Is there a problem here?

Should I rotate the photos before I transfer them into the library?

Thanks,

Phil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2009 05:53

Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
What are you selecting?
After doing about 8 to 10 it gives up.
"it"?
Are you using PhotoNow to reposition the images or are you using a Magic Motion feature within PD7?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART D

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2009 06:47

[Post New]
Dafydd,

"it" = PD7.

To rotate the photo in the Library I am right clicking on it and selecting "Rotate (clockwise)" usually. This is where PD7 gives up after rotating 8 to 10 photos.

I only found out by chance that editing the photo in PhotoNow that it automatically rotates the photo so that it is upright and will save it like that if you change it in any way.

I am not using magic motion.

Hope that helps.

Phil. Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil -

Why not rotate the photos before putting them in the library? I mean - make sure they're up the right way before you even think about PD7.

When I'm using a large number of images, I usually do all the photo editing & file renaming first (so they land "in order" in the library)... that's partly because it drives me nuts fiddling around re-ordering photos on a squibby little timeline when I can hardly see the things!

Your first post indicated that you were engaged in some kind of battle of wits with PD7. My suggestion would be a useful battle tatctic!

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi 7Phil7,

I agree that it is probably a good idea to complete your rotations before importing to the PD7 library. Here’s a technique (that I just re-tested to confirm), that might save you some time.

Let’s say you have a folder titled “Christmas Images”, where all 34 images need to be rotated.
- In My Documents > My Pictures, open this folder (I use the Thumbnails View setting), and left click on the first image to highlight it.
- Then, while holding down the Shift key (thanks to Adrian for teaching me that trick), left click on the last image. Now all the images will be highlighted.
- Right click on the first image, and choose one of the Rotate options from the menu. You will now see that “all” of those highlighted images have been rotated with that one command, and you can now import all those rotated “Christmas Images” using PD7’s “Import Folder” function.

Pre-rotating before importing to PD7, translates into one less thing that PD7 has to process and deal with.
I love PD7. But PD7 appears to be a lot like me, as both of us just seem to be most happy when we don’t have to take on a lot of extra responsibilities.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 12. 2009 16:28

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston thanks for the useful tip! I knew about the multiple highlighting with the shift key, but I didn't know you could rotate images that way. I'm willing to bet that this trick is faster than asking PD to perform the rotation in the rendering stage which will lessen the overall rendering time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2009 08:45

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
James,

PD7 doesn't render a horizontal image upright - it leaves it horizontal - I just found one that I missed!

On the subject of Rotating images prior to importing into PD7 library, if you import a whole lot of mixed shots like I did, the best way to rotate many at once is to hold the 'Control' key down and click on as many as you can that need the clockwise rotation and they will all rotate. Then do the anticlockwise ones.

It is ok to use the 'Shift' key if there are a whole row(s) of images that need rotating the same way.

Phil. Phil

PD14 Ultra