Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menu creation
[Post New]
I have the trial version of PD7 and am having trouble creating the menu which comes at the very end of the process. I am just practising doing a menu but getting nowhere fast. I just can't seem to edit the text when modifying the menu. I can get the text 'highlighted' and it changes to the font/colour I choose but the words and letters stay the same - no change.

Can anyone help please?

Phil. Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Phil,
You're not the first to ask that question and i don't expect you to be the last.

There is a video to show you the basics.

Remember you are creating a TEMPLATE in menu designer and the text you're attempting to alter is the positional text of where the layout will be and NOT the actual text of the menu.

Text is altered in the Preview window position NOT in Menu Designer.

1. View all the video tutorials.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page
2. use the search capability of the forum BEFORE you post

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
D,

Thanks for that - I will try to sort it out by viewing the videos. Near the end of the month my download allocation is pretty tight.

Clearly though the user's guide needs to be clearer. And, why does the text 'highlight' if it can't be changed?

I'm only being logical now - don't get me wrong - if it was easy to follow it would not be a problem methinks.

Thanks again,

Phil. Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
7Phil7 wrote:
I'm only being logical now - don't get me wrong - if it was easy to follow it would not be a problem methinks.

Hi 7phil7,

For the most part, I agree with you. But then again, I remember an old Steve Martin comedy bit where he said...
I recently went to France, and do you know that over there they call cheese... Formage, and a hat... a Chapeau, and a spoon... a Cuiller? It’s crazy! It’s like they have a different word for EVERYTHING!

When one first explores a new program or editor, it’s kind of like you’ve entered a foreign country with it’s own language. At first, to you and me, this new language is indeed a problem, and seems quite illogical. But once you spend a little time in Cyberland, and learn the language, it will all eventually start to make sense and seem perfectly logical, me thinks.
Just my two cents worth.

Bonne chance!

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Phil

You might find these notes helpful.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4767.page

Robert
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I did too Robert - well put together.

Cranston, mon petit chou, you have such a way of making folks feel at ease... and pithy tale for every occasion.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Cranston,

Yes, I agree.....except the word is 'fromage' n'est ce pas? Oui!

I did watch the video tutorial after 10 pm last night as my non-peak download starts then but still not able to fathom it out. Will try to watch again tonight.

Robert,

Thanks too for that - I will check it out and see.

Does WA mean WA?

Tony,

You seem to be my exact double! Even down to the guitar! Bonjour! Seriously!

Question for all - Is HD the way to go and why? (Once I can create a menu of course!)

Thanks,

Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2009 05:29

Phil

PD14 Ultra

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Did I make a tpyo? Whoosp! Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Robert,

I have had another go at it based on your instructions.

This time I have been able to add my text to that which already exists.

I get a screen on the RH side that shows my additions to the text PLUS the original text. I find I can move the original text out of the way but not eliminate it. ANd both texts show up in the PREVIEW mode too. Is this correct? Are you saying that both sets of text show on the preview but not on the actual movie when burnt on a DVD?

No, that didn't work as the burnt DVD showed both lots of text on the TV as well as just playing over and over and not allowing any navigation either. Back to the drawing board.

Phil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2009 07:28

Phil

PD14 Ultra

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Phil -

Firstly, if you're a double of me - my deepest sympathies...

Secondly - I'd check out the tutorial again... and remember that you're only making a template (as Dafydd said). In Menu Designer, you're formatting the text. You change the words LATER! It seems a bit silly, but that's how it is.

C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas?

Antoine, la petite grenouille

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2009 06:21

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
OK! I got it at last. Last night I managed to put a menu with 7 equally spaced chapters on my 40 minute video and they all work fine. The only thing I didn't do properly was change the text at the top of the page on the second and third Chapter page but I think I should be able to fix that next time.

Thanks again guys!

Phil. Phil

PD14 Ultra