Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline editing is suddenly very slow and choppy.
[Post New]
When I edit a video it's usually pretty smooth. Now I can't put 5 seconds worth of video in the timeline before it starts struggling. My PC is enough to handle it:

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

I can't think of what's causing it. The only thing I remember is that is started to become slow after I updated the Geforce drivers but don't think it is related. Also the preview window is very slow too and as I said already this hasn't happened before. What can I do?

Thanks

Just wanted to add something: I rendered the 5 seconds of video I had in the timeline and the playback in the final render is normal so just thought I'd mention that. The issue is definitely within the timeline. Playing videos from the media room works just fine

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18. 2018 15:49

BonzerBJ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2018 02:08 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When I edit a video it's usually pretty smooth. Now I can't put 5 seconds worth of video in the timeline before it starts struggling. My PC is enough to handle it:

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

I can't think of what's causing it. The only thing I remember is that is started to become slow after I updated the Geforce drivers but don't think it is related. Also the preview window is very slow too and as I said already this hasn't happened before. What can I do?

Thanks

Likewise. Every action now take 1-2 seconds to process no matter how small. I'm scared of a sudden crash making a stressful editing experence. I can't edit with accuacy.
I tried reinstalling and it didn't work.
I will update this comment with attempted solutions as I try them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18. 2018 14:26

[Post New]
Quote When I edit a video it's usually pretty smooth. Now I can't put 5 seconds worth of video in the timeline before it starts struggling. My PC is enough to handle it:

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

Thanks

Likewise. Every action now take 1-2 seconds to process no matter how small. I'm scared of a sudden crash making a stressful editing experence. I can't edit with accuacy.

Sounds good. Hope it's a simple fix
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

Thanks

Try disabling Hardware Acceleration. It may help. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

Thanks

Try disabling Hardware Acceleration. It may help.

Thanks that helped things but it's always been on and hasn't caused issues before.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

Thanks

Thanks that helped things but it's always been on and hasn't caused issues before.

Glad it's helped.

Maybe HA is clashing with your updated G force drivers Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
BonzerBJ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2018 02:08 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

Thanks

Glad it's helped.

Maybe HA is clashing with your updated G force drivers

Confermed.
It's G Force.
My second computer (same specs) has PD16 too, but has not been updated to latest drivers and is not having this issue.
Disabling HA solves the issue.
Thank you so much!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2018 15:05

[Post New]

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

Thanks

Just wanted to add something: I rendered the 5 seconds of video I had in the timeline and the playback in the final render is normal so just thought I'd mention that. The issue is definitely within the timeline. Playing videos from the media room works just fine

I have exactly the same problem, and it started suddenly a couple of weeks ago. When renderiing, the overall system behaviour is odd: low CPU usage and low I/O. Nevertheless my system is almost unusable for anything else while rendering. A 5 minute video took 38 minutes to render.

PowerDirector is essentially unusable even without the rendereing problem as the preview is so slow.

PowerDirector version 16.0.2101.0
Windows 10

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 31. 2018 03:35

The Shadowman
[Post New]

i7 6700k
6GB 1060
32GB DDR 4

Thanks

I have exactly the same problem, and it started suddenly a couple of weeks ago. When renderiing, the overall system behaviour is odd: low CPU usage and low I/O. Nevertheless my system is almost unusable for anything else while rendering. A 5 minute video took 38 minutes to render.

PowerDirector is essentially unusable even without the rendereing problem as the preview is so slow.

PowerDirector version 16.0.2101.0
Windows 10

Sir Gregory

Nice to have a Knight of the realm on the forum.

First of all update to the latest patch to see if that will help.

Have you tried disabling HA in preferences? This can help like in the above posts.

Your humble Squire

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
adrian1234 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: canada Joined: Mar 30, 2018 15:14 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

Im totally a newbie when it comes to this stuff . I am having the exact same problem. Ive just puchased powerdirector 16 about a month ago. Everything has been running perfectly smooth in my timeline preview and the playback has been perfect since day 1. At once i opened the program and it took longer than normal to open the project and hangs at 80% for a few minutes. ive tried creating a new simple project with 3 short clips with no effects and same thing happens. I can watch clips directly from library just fine. Playback is super choppy and the whole program is really slow now. This just happened at once! Ive tried lowering preview quality, disabling Hardware acceleration, uninstalling and reinstalling powerdirector. All updates have been done. Ive contacted support but got a pretty generic response but i still tried all their suggestions with no change. The program is basically unusable

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

Im totally a newbie when it comes to this stuff . I am having the exact same problem. Ive just puchased powerdirector 16 about a month ago. Everything has been running perfectly smooth in my timeline preview and the playback has been perfect since day 1. At once i opened the program and it took longer than normal to open the project and hangs at 80% for a few minutes. ive tried creating a new simple project with 3 short clips with no effects and same thing happens. I can watch clips directly from library just fine. Playback is super choppy and the whole program is really slow now. This just happened at once! Ive tried lowering preview quality, disabling Hardware acceleration, uninstalling and reinstalling powerdirector. All updates have been done. Ive contacted support but got a pretty generic response but i still tried all their suggestions with no change. The program is basically unusable

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space

Adrian

Your machine is way underpowered for PD16. You are running an i3 which is OK for spreadsheets and that sort of stuff, but HD Video editing NO. You might just get away with 8gb of RAM, but not for long. For this high powered work I would suggest an i7 at least with at least 16gb of RAM Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
adrian1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space

Adrian

Your machine is way underpowered for PD16. You are running an i3 which is OK for spreadsheets and that sort of stuff, but HD Video editing NO. You might just get away with 8gb of RAM, but not for long. For this high powered work I would suggest an i7 at least with at least 16gb of RAM

Thank you very much for you response! I know very little about computers. So my question is why did this just happen overnight? it was working flawlessy for a month. It was really fast actually. The computer is only a month old too.
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space

Adrian

Your machine is way underpowered for PD16. You are running an i3 which is OK for spreadsheets and that sort of stuff, but HD Video editing NO. You might just get away with 8gb of RAM, but not for long. For this high powered work I would suggest an i7 at least with at least 16gb of RAM

Thank you very much for you response! I know very little about computers. So my question is why did this just happen overnight? it was working flawlessy for a month. It was really fast actually. The computer is only a month old too.

That's a good question, but you are asking a lot of an i3. It would be a good idea if you posted the DxDiag file of your PC so that others can comment.

First of all, what is the resolution of the material you are trying to work on when the problems occur. The higher the resolution the harder your PC will have to work. By what you say, you have tried most things such as preview quality and HA disabling. You didn't say if you have tried using shadow files. Shadow files could make a big difference as could working in non-real time. Non-Real Time is designed to help underpowered machines cope by slowing things down. Beware though, with NRT there is no audio, it's still there, but it's muted while you edit.

The DxDiag file will tell the members a few things, allowing them to give advice to you Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
adrian1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space

Adrian

That's a good question, but you are asking a lot of an i3. It would be a good idea if you posted the DxDiag file of your PC so that others can comment.

First of all, what is the resolution of the material you are trying to work on when the problems occur. The higher the resolution the harder your PC will have to work. By what you say, you have tried most things such as preview quality and HA disabling. You didn't say if you have tried using shadow files. Shadow files could make a big difference as could working in non-real time. Non-Real Time is designed to help underpowered machines cope by slowing things down. Beware though, with NRT there is no audio, it's still there, but it's muted while you edit.

The DxDiag file will tell the members a few things, allowing them to give advice to you

Ok sounds good . I didnt realize that i was that underpowered. The resolution ive been working with i believe is 1080 1920 from a hd camcorder. And yes i have been using the shadow files also and tried switching to NRT with no difference. Ive now attached a Dxdiag file
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
272 time(s)
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space

Adrian

The DxDiag file will tell the members a few things, allowing them to give advice to you

Ok sounds good . I didnt realize that i was that underpowered. The resolution ive been working with i believe is 1080 1920 from a hd camcorder. And yes i have been using the shadow files also and tried switching to NRT with no difference. Ive now attached a Dxdiag file

Are you sure you have installed the latest patch? I can only see a reference to build 2313. The latest patch is 2524 from here https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
adrian1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space

Adrian

Are you sure you have installed the latest patch? I can only see a reference to build 2313. The latest patch is 2524 from here https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html

Yes i have installed the update. i just did it again to make sure and no changes
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space

Adrian

Are you sure you have installed the latest patch? I can only see a reference to build 2313. The latest patch is 2524 from here https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html

Yes i have installed the update. i just did it again to make sure and no changes

If you click on PowerDirector in top right hand of screen. What version shows in window that opens? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
adrian1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi there,

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

Powerdirector 16
Windows 10
intel core i3 7th gen
8gb ram
850gb free space

Adrian

If you click on PowerDirector in top right hand of screen. What version shows in window that opens?

It says Powerdirector 16.0.2524.0
Chedder [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2018 11:27 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Is there any further advice on this issue? I'm experiencing exactly the same issue, I can't even get a 3 x 1 minute clips together in the editor. I've just updated from PowerDirector 13 and I've spent the last two weeks trying to solve the issue and I'm now at the point of asking for my money back. I've gone through every single driver and updated, tried running with every possible permutation of setting, HD enabled, disabled, shadow files in every possible size, without etc. and nothing has made a difference. It's freeze and crash city. I'm running version 16.0.2816.0 which as far as I can tell is the latest version and I've attached a DirectX Diag. This forum seems to have some very knowledgeable members, I'm hoping I may get a solution here?

I'd very much appreciate any help I can get to solve this before I go and chase CyberLink Tech for a solution or my money back, thanks.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
83 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
286 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2018 15:05

[Post New]
Quote Is there any further advice on this issue? I'm experiencing exactly the same issue, I can't even get a 3 x 1 minute clips together in the editor. I've just updated from PowerDirector 13 and I've spent the last two weeks trying to solve the issue and I'm now at the point of asking for my money back. I've gone through every single driver and updated, tried running with every possible permutation of setting, HD enabled, disabled, shadow files in every possible size, without etc. and nothing has made a difference. It's freeze and crash city. I'm running version 16.0.2816.0 which as far as I can tell is the latest version and I've attached a DirectX Diag. This forum seems to have some very knowledgeable members, I'm hoping I may get a solution here?

I'd very much appreciate any help I can get to solve this before I go and chase CyberLink Tech for a solution or my money back, thanks.

I just turned off hardware acceleration in the settings and that seemed to do the trick for me.