Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where is master audio volume (dB) level ???
[Post New]
I am used to video editing where in addition to audio level faders (sliders for volume control) for each audio track there is a master dB audio level to adjust total mixed volume. Where is that in PowerDirector, I am not seeing that and if it is missing that is pretty much a deal breaker for my buying it (right now I am using the 30 day trial version). I even downloaded AudioDirector but that is only for audio and does not import video, and anyhow the master audio level slider/fader for a video project should be in a video editor (in this case PowerDirector).
lorentedford
Newbie Location: Olney, IL USA Joined: Feb 16, 2018 12:56 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am used to video editing where in addition to audio level faders (sliders for volume control) for each audio track there is a master dB audio level to adjust total mixed volume. Where is that in PowerDirector, I am not seeing that and if it is missing that is pretty much a deal breaker for my buying it (right now I am using the 30 day trial version). I even downloaded AudioDirector but that is only for audio and does not import video, and anyhow the master audio level slider/fader for a video project should be in a video editor (in this case PowerDirector).

What i have been doing is editing the video audio via Audio Director 6 via right clicking on the clip look for Edit Audio its towards the bottom and click on the program you wish to use to edit the audio..

I have Power Director 15 so not sure if anything has changed between the versions.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am used to video editing where in addition to audio level faders (sliders for volume control) for each audio track there is a master dB audio level to adjust total mixed volume. Where is that in PowerDirector, I am not seeing that and if it is missing that is pretty much a deal breaker for my buying it (right now I am using the 30 day trial version). I even downloaded AudioDirector but that is only for audio and does not import video, and anyhow the master audio level slider/fader for a video project should be in a video editor (in this case PowerDirector).

What i have been doing is editing the video audio via Audio Director 6 via right clicking on the clip look for Edit Audio its towards the bottom and click on the program you wish to use to edit the audio..

I have Power Director 15 so not sure if anything has changed between the versions.

You have full control of audio in the Audio Room. The icon to enter the room is in the column to the left of the media library. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]

You have full control of audio in the Audio Room. The icon to enter the room is in the column to the left of the media library.

What I am looking for is a Master gain/volume/dB slider control like in the attached screenshot from my Sony Vegas 10 video editing software; you can see the Master gain control just to the left of the Video Vectorscope. You can also see each audio track has its own audio controls like with PowerDirector, but in addition, the Master volume control allows one to boost or lower the total volume of the video's audio tracks as a whole. Does PowerDirector have this? I am not seeing this, wondering how you all deal with this??? I really want to replace my Sony Vegas 10 as it is quite dated (2010). PowerDirector looks really nice but I am puzzled why I am not finding a master volume control for a video editing project, am I just not seeing this somewhere?
[Thumb - mastervolume.png]
 Filename
mastervolume.png
[Disk]
 Description
Master gain / volume fader control in Sony Vegas
 Filesize
775 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)
tlinget [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 24, 2014 12:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

You have full control of audio in the Audio Room. The icon to enter the room is in the column to the left of the media library.

What I am looking for is a Master gain/volume/dB slider control like in the attached screenshot from my Sony Vegas 10 video editing software; you can see the Master gain control just to the left of the Video Vectorscope. You can also see each audio track has its own audio controls like with PowerDirector, but in addition, the Master volume control allows one to boost or lower the total volume of the video's audio tracks as a whole. Does PowerDirector have this? I am not seeing this, wondering how you all deal with this??? I really want to replace my Sony Vegas 10 as it is quite dated (2010). PowerDirector looks really nice but I am puzzled why I am not finding a master volume control for a video editing project, am I just not seeing this somewhere?

in the "Audio Room" you wiill see a list of audio tracks and the track volume edits will animate as a fader moving up ad down. There is a horizontal control (looks like a pan control) move this to the right (51-100) to increase your track level and to the left (49-0 ) to decrease. At 50 it's neutral, no change. - not exactly what you want but will usually suffice.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2018 13:53

stevefrench73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2015 22:30 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]

The master volume is the speaker icon beneath the preview window, under the little window that displays the time code. See the yellow circle in the attached screenshot.
[Thumb - Master volume.png]
 Filename
Master volume.png
[Disk]
 Description
Master volume
 Filesize
172 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
24 time(s)
[Post New]

The master volume is the speaker icon beneath the preview window, under the little window that displays the time code. See the yellow circle in the attached screenshot.

Unfortunately that is not a master volume (dB) meter / fader. That button only controls the overall volume heard through speakers. What i am referring to is a master fader that controls a total mix of all audio on all tracks, to set a high but safe dB level prior to a rendering of the project. Like seen in the attached image. This master dB fader is needed because audio volume that one hears is not reliable as perceived sound based on one's individual hearing ability, PC speaker wattage, etc. is subjective. The master dB fader lets one adjust the dB level of all tracks mixed in real time so as to get good sound volume without going over 0dB. I just do not see such a master dB fader in Powerdirect and I do not understand why it was left out as a feature as any respectable video editor has a master dB level fader. Without it, you can not trust the volume for a render, a rendered video could end up with too much volume or too little volume. Sony Vegas has a master dB fader, so does Adobe Premiere Pro, as well as most respectable video editors. I am wanting to like and buy Powerdirector, but this is a feature that really is mandatory for a video editor otherwise one is shooting in the dark for audio levels prior to a render.
[Thumb - masterdb.gif]
 Filename
masterdb.gif
[Disk]
 Description
Master dB gain / fader
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There is no master volume control as you call it in PD16. There is a function called normalize that may serve the purpose of what you are asking. See this YT link at 8:18: https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/video/446/audio-/-volume-tutorial .

See this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49364.page . If you place the timeline slider where there are multiple video and audio tracks then normalize is available on those tracks too.
Dimitrios123 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Greece Joined: Nov 20, 2017 13:15 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hoping this is exactly what you want:

There IS a simple way of adjusting the volume of all audio clips simultaneously. In the timeline, select all clips (Ctrl + A) and use the volume slider on one of these clips to control the master volume. As you adjust it, a tooltip shows the amound of change (in dB I guess, although the unit is not displayed).

Before finding that, I was pretty disappointed as you are, and that was just AFTER the purchase. As it happens with other PD features, it is not easy to find it (e.g. clip rotation with crop is even worse).
[Thumb - screen.gif]
 Filename
screen.gif
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
167 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
23 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 24. 2018 14:56