Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shadow Files broken with Canon 5D Mk4 4K MOV files
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2016 08:20 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I have recently upgraded from PowerDirector 14 to 16.

In the old version it created shadow files for the 4K files fine for editing.

However Powerdirector 16 says the files are broken. I have tried manually deleting them and even moved the folders drive to no avail.

The non 4k movie files generate a shadow file fine.

I also tried all the resolutions available on shadow files.

Anyone know what may be wrong ?
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have recently upgraded from PowerDirector 14 to 16.

In the old version it created shadow files for the 4K files fine for editing.

However Powerdirector 16 says the files are broken. I have tried manually deleting them and even moved the folders drive to no avail.

The non 4k movie files generate a shadow file fine.

I also tried all the resolutions available on shadow files.

Anyone know what may be wrong ?

Hi Chris

Did you install QuickTime to handle the MOV files. If you need to use the QuickTime, download the Lite version. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Chris

Did you install QuickTime to handle the MOV files. If you need to use the QuickTime, download the Lite version.

Hi I did have it. I uninstalled it and installed quicktime lite.

Still not able to produce the shadow files though.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chris -

It's certainly not an inherent problem with either the 5D MkIV clips or PDR16.

Using some original sample files from that camera, PDR16 was able to import & generate shadow files here (full version of QT is installed).

I had the shadow file resolution set at 1920x1080, but I don't think that would make any difference.

If PDR is saying the files are "broken", that implies either QT or some other codec is missing from your system. The video clips use the MJPEG codec. 4096x2160 @ ~500Mbps.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Chris -

It's certainly not an inherent problem with either the 5D MkIV clips or PDR16.

Using some original sample files from that camera, PDR16 was able to import & generate shadow files here (full version of QT is installed).

I had the shadow file resolution set at 1920x1080, but I don't think that would make any difference.

If PDR is saying the files are "broken", that implies either QT or some other codec is missing from your system. The video clips use the MJPEG codec. 4096x2160 @ ~500Mbps.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony. I have uninstalled the QT lite and reinstalled the full. I will try uninstalling some codec packs and install again.

I do wonder if it is maybe the shadow being created a bit on my C drive which is almost full. Seems to put something there despite output elsewhere. Is there some setting to force it not to use C (windows install drive) ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2018 18:43

ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unfortunately that did not work. I tried uninstalling powerdirector 16 and reinstalling the upgrade.

Still no joy.

Gone back to using Direcotor Suite 4 and PD 14 which works fine.

Wasted my money on the upgrade.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... Wasted my money on the upgrade. ...

don't fret, I wish to cancel my order - what do I need to do? . it has to be downloaded version within 30 days...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2018 17:00

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Chris -

Do you have the most recent 2313 patch installed? That may make a difference.

Cheers - Tony
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Chris -

Do you have the most recent 2313 patch installed? That may make a difference.

Cheers - Tony

Yes I do - one thing I have noticed is that PD14 sees the file type as quicktime. PD16 as MJPEG. Not sure if that should make any difference, as it is MJPEG but QT plays them.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Chris -

This has me a bit baffled. You too, no doubt.

I wouldn't be too bothered about how PDR interprets the properties. It is Quicktime MOV format, using MJPEG codec (which is built into QT).

Shadow files, as far as I know, are generated in your designated output folder. I just (temporarily) set the output folder to a USB drive & that's where the shadow files landed. A C-drive with little free space probably isn't the cause, since PDR14 has no issues, but it's not a good state of things in general terms.

Latest patch. Full QT installed. Works fine here. Baffled.

Cheers - Tony
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Chris -

I wouldn't be too bothered about how PDR interprets the properties. It is Quicktime MOV format, using MJPEG codec (which is built into QT).

Shadow files, as far as I know, are generated in your designated output folder. I just (temporarily) set the output folder to a USB drive & that's where the shadow files landed. A C-drive with little free space probably isn't the cause, since PDR14 has no issues, but it's not a good state of things in general terms.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony. I have a new drive on order - so will be reinstalling Win 7. And will try again.

Has me stumped atm.
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Chris -

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony. I have a new drive on order - so will be reinstalling Win 7. And will try again.

Has me stumped atm.

I have reinstalled Windows 7 on a new drive.

Reinstalled QT Full (QuickTime 7.7.9) and Powerdirector 16.

Still unable to produce shadow file in PD16 - from Canon 5D MKiV MJPEG 4K files. It reports the file as Broken.

Tried on several files - which all worked with PD14.

I guess I need to contact support ?
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
also install K-Lite Codec Pack and see if that'll help... your last resort should be go back to PD14 b4207.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote also install K-Lite Codec Pack and see if that'll help... your last resort should be go back to PD14 b4207.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

No joy with that - I will raise a ticket.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Wow Chris! I wonder what it is?

You seem to have covered all the bases - full QT install, K-Lite - that's what I have & no issues generating shadow files in PDR16 from Canon 5DMkIV 4K MOV files.

Cheers - Tony
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Wow Chris! I wonder what it is?

You seem to have covered all the bases - full QT install, K-Lite - that's what I have & no issues generating shadow files in PDR16 from Canon 5DMkIV 4K MOV files.

Cheers - Tony

Someone request a clip.

I zipped it up and the file can be got from http://www.macro-photo.co.uk/CQ9A7585.zip

Be warned even 3 seconds is 184mb
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Chris -

Just in case you thought I may have been tricking you before, here's a screen capture of PDR16 generating a shadow file for your sample clip.

No tricks. No speed changes. One transition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NpuGOUd_FI

Your clips had almost identical properties to other 5DMkIV clips I tested previously. It's still got me baffled.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Chris -

I've been reliably informed that you need to have the most recent 2503 beta patch installed for shadow files to be generated from your Canon clips. Even though I asked you previously whether you had the 2313 patch installed, that will not work for you.

I also mentioned that I had K-Lite codecs installed. That makes no difference either.

So - I offered up two pieces of bad advice in one thread. Thank goodness I have a reliable informant! embarassed

Cheers - Tony
ChrisA2017 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Chris -

I've been reliably informed that you need to have the most recent 2503 beta patch installed for shadow files to be generated from your Canon clips. Even though I asked you previously whether you had the 2313 patch installed, that will not work for you.

I also mentioned that I had K-Lite codecs installed. That makes no difference either.

So - I offered up two pieces of bad advice in one thread. Thank goodness I have a reliable informant! embarassed

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for doing the video. Installing the patch makes the 4k shadow files render. Hurrah!
browniee112 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 28, 2017 03:57 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
This patch, does it only fix MOV files of Canon? Because it didn't fix the same issue for me.

I have the same issue but not sure what format is shadow files get generated in.
Camera is a Sony a6500, file format XAVC.

And GoPro Hero5, mp4.