Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem with JVC Everio Hard Disk Drive Camcorder
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

With this camcorder I cannot use the Capture function because PD7 does not recognise it for capture purposes, (because the files are stored on a hard drive instead of tape) so I copied the files directly onto my external hard drive. The files are .MOD and .MOI, in pairs.

When I tried to import these files into a new PD7 project I got an error message – ‘Power Director has encountered a problem and needs to close.’

Then ‘PDR.exe – Application Error The instruction at “0x028697a8” referenced memory at “0x02893eb0”. The memory could not be “read”. Click on OK to terminate the program’. And PD7 closed.

I then copied the files onto my internal hard drive, and tried again. This time PD7 just shut down, without any error messages.

Previously, using a different computer and Power Director Express (which was supplied with the camcorder) there was no problem with importing and using the files. However, because of the limited functionality of the Express version I decided to try to work on this project on my own computer with the fully functional PD7 Ultra, but with no success as described above.

I noticed that JVC has its own dedicated section on the Cyberlink forum, so presume that there are some unique aspects. One thread looked similar to my problem

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4785.page

although Virginia was at least able to import the files – I cannot. In part Virginia said: “I use Power Director Ultra 7. When I talked to the folks at JVC they told me I should be using Power Director NE. Is it possible that Power Director Ultra cannot read the files created by my JVC Everio gz-hd7.?”

I have the same question - can I use PD7 Ultra with these JVC files?

If not, can I have PD7 and PD Express on my computer at the same time? (I know that usually only one version can be installed at any one time, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that an Express version can co-exist with a full version. I don’t want to install the Express version if it means I will lose my Ultra version.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, please.

Robert
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert(WA),

I can’t say to a 100% accuracy with respect to PD7 Ultra,
but I can tell you that I did once have PD5 -and- PD5 Express on my computer at the same time.
But I’m sure one of the “big boys” will chime in here to confirm.

(BTW, nice write up on menus)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2009 22:52

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cranston

Thanks

Robert
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Do you still have the other computer with PD express? If it comes to it maybe you can use that computer to import the files. Add those files to the timeline and render them to something that PD ultra will recognize such as an AVI file.

Another thought, did the camera come with software to extract the video off the camera HD. I have a Cannon HG20 which has a 60 GB HD. I found that I have better luck using the cannon software for acquiring the video than using PD to capture.

good luck. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Bear [Avatar]
Newbie Location: London Joined: Mar 13, 2009 15:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've got PD7 Ultra installed and it can load the JVC .mod files with no problems, so I would suggest its something with your configuration or windows version.
I also previously used PD6 with JVC mod files and no issues.
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Do you still have the other computer with PD express? If it comes to it maybe you can use that computer to import the files. Add those files to the timeline and render them to something that PD ultra will recognize such as an AVI file.

If necessary I can access the other computer. I just thought it would be more convenient for me to do this at home on my own computer with my superior (!!!) software.

Quote: Another thought, did the camera come with software to extract the video off the camera HD.

The only software supplied was the PD Express and a version of Power Producer. I think my solution will be to install that on my computer and then later re-install PD7 Ultra if necessary for my own work.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Robert
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've got PD7 Ultra installed and it can load the JVC .mod files with no problems, so I would suggest its something with your configuration or windows version.
I also previously used PD6 with JVC mod files and no issues.

I'm using XP Home Edition and my PD7 Ultra works fine with everything else I have tried. It just won't handle these JVC files. Do you have any particular configuration ideas you can point me to, please?

Thanks

Robert
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have been able to load the Express version of PD alongside my PD 7 Ultra so the two versions can co-exist. However I get exactly the same problems with the Express version as well.

Any ideas, please?

Robert
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

1. Can I have a sample of your .mod files to test please? I'll send you the ftp location shortly.
2. You should not be having a problem with PD7Ultra on this issue - it should be able to see the format.
3. the moi files are not needed - please don't try to load those into PD
4. You've found out the Express build and PD sit on the same PC - no problem. Just make sure you have PD7Ulta opening the pds files and not the express build as you've installed it later.

FTP instructions on the way to you.

Dafydd
Bear [Avatar]
Newbie Location: London Joined: Mar 13, 2009 15:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Robert,

What version of Windows XP Home are you running. Mine has service pack 3 loaded. I ask this because once I had problems with a TV card not working and it was because I was only on SP1 . As soon as I forced a windows download it worked.

I've checked with a friend and they can load my .mod files using Windows Vista into PD7 Ultra.

It might be a long shot but have you tried renaming one of the mod files to .mpg This is what I use to get other editing suites to recognise the files.
You never know it might work.
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bear

Thanks

I have Service Pack 3.

The rename option seems to work OK but I would still like to be able to use the .mod files directly.

Thanks again.

Robert

PS Renaming a large number of files looked like being a real hassle until I found a little free program called Extension Renamer!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,
Your .mod file plays fine in PD7 Ultra.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 24. 2009 09:10

RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

Thanks for trying it and reporting back.

I can overcome my immediate problem by renaming the files, and since I don't normally use this camcorder it probably isn't worth me spending any more time trying to overcome the problem. My PD7 Ultra works fine for what I normally want to do with my own camera.

Thanks again.

Regards

Robert