Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Choppy FLV scrubbing?
Rob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2008 00:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Anyone else notice editing FLV videos makes their system
*extremely* sluggish to drag through?
The whole interface grinds to a halt, requiring several seconds to
simply click a menu.

Converting to AVI seems to eliminate the problem.
May just be specific to my setup, but just curious.

Thanks,
Rob.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

Are you sure that PD7 supports flv, that could be your problem here, how are you importing the flv files?

Robert

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Rob,

Are you sure that PD7 supports flv, that could be your problem here, how are you importing the flv files?

Robert

Hi, It does display the frames, albeit slowly.
Im just using a youtube ripper periodically to grab the FLV files.
Just now, I converted to an AVI / H2.64 and that seems to help.

Im assuming that the imported video is never fully expanded
into memory expanded but decoded as necessary?
Perhaps some formats are more CPU intensive than the others.

Rob.

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

flv needs to be converted to one of the supported formats before importing into PowerDirector

HD MPEG-2, DVR-MS, DV-AVI, DAT, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VOB, VRO with Dolby Digital 5.1/2.1, WMV, WMV-HD, MOV, MOD, live capture, TOD, AVCHD (M2T), MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]

flv needs to be converted to one of the supported formats before importing into PowerDirector

HD MPEG-2, DVR-MS, DV-AVI, DAT, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VOB, VRO with Dolby Digital 5.1/2.1, WMV, WMV-HD, MOV, MOD, live capture, TOD, AVCHD (M2T), MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)

Robert

I'll keep it in mind, though it does appear to scrub through the movie in PD (albeit slowly).

Thanks
Rob.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PD7 does not at this time support FLV format.

FLV's can NOT therefore be imported into PD7, whether one tries the Browse Button in Media Library or Click and Drag/Drop.

Image attached.

Robert is correct.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Thumb - sdukpdb467.gif]
 Filename
sdukpdb467.gif
[Disk]
 Description
FLV's are NOT supported in PD7
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
207 time(s)
Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: PD7 does not at this time support FLV format.

FLV's can NOT therefore be imported into PD7, whether one tries the Browse Button in Media Library or Click and Drag/Drop.

Image attached.

Robert is correct.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Im a little confused.
I dont get error messages. I get the movie importing
and displaying correctly.
I can scrub forward or backward and set multi trim points.
Doesnt that mean its at least imported the movie?

Ive done it several times over the last few days.
I'll double check tonight to make sure.

Rob.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please check Rob,

I double checked this particular point before posting both by trying out the FLV and with a CyberLink Support Manager in Taiwan.

The FLV read capability is NOT in PD7.

My guess is you've a different file format.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 22. 2009 10:49

Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Please check Rob,

I double checked this particular point before posting both by trying out the FLV and with a CyberLink Support Manager in Taiwan.

The FLV read capability is NOT in PD7.

My guess is you've a different file format.

Dafydd

Its always possible the auto-generated files Im using are encoded differently but are named .flv

I'll check tonight.
Thanks for looking into it.

Rob.
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
The vid was probably named something like...XXXxxx.flv.avi.
What program did you use?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 22. 2009 17:33

Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Rob,

Are you by chance using the online KEEPVID program to capture those clips off Youtube? I use it too, and those captures will load into PD7. But sometimes I also get slow or choppy playback in PD7 with "some" of the captures.

However, they are not flv files. They are (if you choose HQ) mp4 files. But, as I said, sometimes, some of the captures I make using this program, won't play right and I'm not sure why some do and some don't. When I do get that choppy/delayed playback, I just convert them, and then all is fine. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, they are definitely flv files.
I ripped some sample vids using:
http://www.ripzor.com/youtuberipper.html

The resulting files I manually rename .flv,
*but* the first three ascii bytes of the file itself is: FLV
*and* MediaCoder describes them as FLV files and
they definitely load in PowerDirector 7.02429a

Confusing?

Rob
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob,
Confusing?

Yea, but I'm used to that, hahaha.

Ok, I went to... Youtube Ripper and, following the instructions, successfully captured a vid from Youtube and renamed the captured file to "something.flv", as per instructions, and saved the file. The file indeed played fine in a FLV viewer.

I then opened PD7 and using the "Import Media" icon, went to the folder that contained this newly acquired flv capture file/video clip. But the file did not show in the folder. (browse box was set to... "All Files (types). So since I couldn't see it, I couldn't import it.

I then closed PD7 > went to the folder > right clicked on file > went to... "Open With" and chose PD7. PD7 opened, but the flv file was nowhere to be seen.

Less confused

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 22. 2009 19:45

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Confusing?

Yea, but I'm used to that, hahaha.

Ok, I went to... Youtube Ripper and, following the instructions, successfully captured a vid from Youtube and renamed the captured file to "something.flv", as per instructions, and saved the file. The file indeed played fine in a FLV viewer.

I then opened PD7 and using the "Import Media" icon, went to the folder that contained this newly acquired flv capture file/video clip. But the file did not show in the folder. (browse box was set to... "All Files (types). So since I couldn't see it, I couldn't import it.

I then closed PD7 > went to the folder > right clicked on file > went to... "Open With" and chose PD7. PD7 opened, but the flv file was nowhere to be seen.

Less confused

Okay me too. (Nothing happened, appeared).
Now just open PD7, and drag the file from Windows directly into the Media Room area...

Cranston
[Post New]
OK Rob, I tried what you suggested
Now just open PD7, and drag the file from Windows directly into the Media Room area...

I was able to drag an Mpeg, Avi, and Divx file into the Media Library using that method.
But...
When I tried it with that remaining .flv file (the Youtube capture). I got a pop-up message saying...
An error occurred when opening this file in media file in the media library.

No longer confused.

Edit:
BTW I'm using PD7 (2206), so I don't know if having an earlier build is a factor here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 22. 2009 22:12

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
It does appear something is somewhat funny here. If you download the Windy 50s Mobility Scooter Race 25FPS sample flv files from
http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/flash/video/tutorial/example-flv.html
I can load them into PD7 by dragging but not import. I can also get them to play, and put them in the edit line and so on. First play through is no issues. Subsequent plays can be choppy if you don't start, stop and then start again.

Media Info indicates
Format : Flash Video
File size : 653 KiB
Duration : 16s 920ms
Overall bit rate : 316 Kbps

Video
Format : VP6
Duration : 16s 920ms
Bit rate : 260 Kbps
Width : 360 pixels
Height : 288 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 5/4
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.100

PD7, 2429a

Jeff
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
I can't get them to play. I suspect you have some CODEC or some other software that we don't have that is sort of allowing PD7 to play it in certain conditions.

Kind of like Divx Player. It normally won't play M2TS files, but if you have the right codec installed it plays fine. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I can import into PD7, (by dragging) can play as a clip but when tried to play as a movie, video froze, but sound played.

Robert

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 22. 2009 23:38

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit

PDtoots
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Robert,

For me, while in movie mode simply hit pause, wait maybe 10-15 seconds, hit play again and it plays out fine.

Jeff

Cranston
[Post New]
Well...
Now with the addition of RobertJ/OZ's, and JL's, and OnTheWeb's, posts, in addition to Dafydd's earlier post, I'm officially back to being...
confused, hahaha.
But...
Dear Cyberlink.
If you are reading any of this, please don't advance this "some can and some can't load and edit .flv files in PD issue", ahead of the other issues and requested features that have hopefully made their way to your "To Do" list.
In my humble opinion, you've got bigger fish to fry than .flv support.
Besides, give some thought and consideration to all those File Conversion Software vendors. They've got kids to feed too. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips